Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Has your Laser addicton led you to be a creature of the night?

Hi, my name is Joe and I'm a laser addict.

I used to keep normal hours but as my laser addiction grew, I find myself going to bed later and later almost to the point of getting less than 4hours of sleep a night.

As I speak its almost 4am EST. I'm curious if this "affliction" has affected others??

For me its affected my health to a minimal degree, usually associated with intermitant insomnia.

I'm working my way back to a 1 am max bedtime.....but as all addicts relapse
some nights I'm up till I see the beginning of sunrise.

Any other new creatures of the night out there??:eg::eg:
What is your bedtime After acquiring your visable beam lasers??

It's past 2 am, 4 am is normal now. I find it difficult to get to work on time :whistle:

Nope no problem here... Please post moar! I need something new to read ;)

Photonaholics Anonymous :D

~ LB

It's past 2 am, 4 am is normal now. I find it difficult to get to work on time :whistle:

Nope no problem here... Please post *moar* I need something new to read ;)

Photonaholics Anonymous :D

~ LB

Misspelling of common words and denial., the common first symptoms of a "Photonaholic"

Very Pad!.:crackup:...lol

4am and up at 7am. I'm losing it man:) Ah who am I kidding ? I'm going back to sleep!!

Last edited:

Things

Used to, but now I have to work :p

Usually 1am at the latest if I have to work the next morning, though on my days off I'll sometimes be awake until 3am or so. Only ever been awake all night 3 or 4 times, it just ruins me :p

Not really related to lasers though :D

Last edited:

Laik

I've always been a nightowl. My laser just gives me an excuse.
I'm the same :D
Used to, but now I have to work :p

Usually 1am at the latest if I have to work the next morning, though on my days off I'll sometimes be awake until 3am or so. Only ever been awake all night 3 or 4 times, it just ruins me :p

Not really related to lasers though :D
:eek:

My schedule has totally flipped. I inadvertently am a natural 3rd shift candidate.
In all seriousness I feel like its definitely affecting my health. I have lost weight( about 12 lbs in 2months). & need beta blockers to calm my racing heart.

This all occurred as I got more into lasers and I did start limiting my carb intake.
As you get older I guess your body does not respond the same. I use to laugh at that statement thinking "me, never, i'm totally in tune with my body"

And yes I read the polyphasic thread!

Last edited:
I definitely am not able to handle lack of sleep like I could when I was younger. Naps after work seem to go with the territory now. Racing heart doesn't sound good. Have trouble sleeping at night but the naps are mandatory. When I'm drowsy I don't fight it. Sleep and recharge to make things tolerable.

Might be something else going on too. Weight loss and Racing heart might mean something more than Laser addiction and lack of sleep though. A check up may be in order if it's within your means. Better safe than sorry all joking aside.

Wishing you well,

~ LB

Edit...

Do you drink coffee to stay up when you are awake? When I was at my worst I was in this horrible cycle of little sleep and a lot of coffee to stay up during the day and just ended up wrecking myself. I try to be very careful now. I'm no spring chicken and haven't exactly been kind to myself in the past ;)

Last edited:
I definitely am not able to handle lack of sleep like I could when I was younger. Naps after work seem to go with the territory now. Racing heart doesn't sound good. Have trouble sleeping at night but the naps are mandatory. When I'm drowsy I don't fight it. Sleep and recharge to make things tolerable.

Might be something else going on too. Weight loss and Racing heart might mean something more than Laser addiction and lack of sleep though. A check up may be in order if it's within your means. Better safe than sorry all joking aside.

Wishing you well,

~ LB

Edit...

Do you drink coffee to stay up when you are awake? When I was at my worst I was in this horrible cycle of little sleep and a lot of coffee to stay up during the day and just ended up wrecking myself. I try to be very careful now. I'm no spring chicken and haven't exactly been kind to myself in the past ;)

No on the coffee/caffeine. I used to be a big coffee drinker, but now I stay away from anything that has caffeine.Had a full workup 3 months ago as my brother is a MD , I've always had high blood pressure and a higher bad cholesterol level other than that all is OK. He constantly recommends more cardio and a cornacopia (sp)of different vitamins. What is most strange is I feel GREAT at night, like my world has done a *180 as far as sleep.

Lasers , Carbs and a reduction in my vitamin intake ( cost is outrageous) are my only major changes.
Thanks for the concern and advice. My insurance is crappy so if its something that my brother can't treat in the office I will have to pay buckoo out of the pocket.

He told me he has no concerns if I sleep 4 am to 11am. I guess I'm fearful that it could be something else. I haven't spoken to him recently hoping it will resolve itself.
Light exposure can interfere with your internal clock and I use my lasers everyday( or rather night) and use all of them. They all get a good workout and no duty cycle violations. ( except the one RT laser I torture tested and its LED'd)
Thank you LB for your concern, I do take good care of myself but like you I did some serious "unkind things" to myself in the past. I just was wondering if any other laser users experienced a shift in sleeping patterns and wanted to ask in a playful less serious tone.:)

Last edited:

IsaacT

I like my sleep, and I love my lasers, but usually what keeps me up is trolling the forums or making a laser and then a build thread and taking tons of pics.

benmwv

I have always stayed up late. If I didn't have any responsibilities or anything that I have to do I would sleep 4am to 12 noon every day. The problem is that even if I have to get up at 6 I still end up staying awake until 4.

Luckily I have a job that supports my sleep schedule never needing to be there before 12 (usually later like 4 or 5 pm) and often not getting home until 1 or 2 am.

I went to orientation early and spent a lot of time working with my schedule so that I wont have to get up before 10 when college starts! I wouldnt want to start out my first semester being late often and getting no sleep!

Thanks for clarifying Phaser, my Mom has the rapid heart beat w/ lack of sleep so I was wondering what the cause was as well. Doctor also pointed out a lack of Cardio. Read a bunch about Melatonin a while back and I was pretty surprised how important it was and that light actually inhibited its production at night. The body's cycle begins about 10 PM apparently. The body's natural anti-oxidant only produced at night.

Hopefully it will resolve or you will find the answer. Please update here or PM me if you do find out :beer:

Lol Issac, you should have quite a collection of parts ready to assemble right now :D

Nice Ben, I have a somewhat flexible schedule too although I've been kind of abusing it as of late (pun intended).

~ LB

P.S. Phaser, one other possibility... have you noticed two small puncture marks on your neck ;)

Isaac, Ben and LB

Thanks for the input. I did not use my lasers tonight. I was able to fall asleep, however staying asleep is an issue. Here I am@ 3am.

Isaac and Ben are young chickens, so I would assume there bodies can handle the lack of sleep a lot better than someone who may or may not be around there very late 40's:)

I'm still hopeful, if I go back to bed now.....I could potentially get my 3-9am target goal.
11am or 12pm is too late to accomplish the various task required from me. I also feel like a bum getting up that late. ( I have to maintain a 5B /3Bath house with over 100 palm trees + an additional 30 plus other plants/trees). Computers lighting can also keep you awake, so on that note , i'm off to try it again. Cardio tomorrow, a bad knee can usually bike quite well and that's the rehab for most knee issue and my stubborn excuse not to do much Cardio.

You guys are very kind to be interested in this problem I seem to have!! I thank you , keep posting if any ideas come up....night.!

Last edited:

IsaacT

One thing that helped me a lot when I was having sleep issues is to turn off any screens to eliminate the glow. Studies has shown that being on TV, Computer, etc right before trying to sleep significantly impairs the ability to shut off your brain and sleep.

benmwv

My biggest problem is that i'm the most awake awake when I should be going to sleep. I have no idea why. Its not like I slept in too much either. I woke up at 9 today and now its almost 5, i've been awake nearly 20 hours with less than 6 hours sleep last night.

I have to get up at 10 tomorrow so now i'm going to try and force myself to go to sleep even though i'm wide awake. Every so often (when I get in a bad cycle) I just stay up through the night and all day so I will be able to go to bed at like 10pm. Its kinda like a sleep schedule reset I guess? That usually brings me back to a more reasonable bedtime (2 or so) for a while.

Dang Ben :) Although as if I can talk, I'm still up. It is weird. I always felt like there was less static at night. No distractions. Good time to be creative or watch movies. I think creative or intelligent people's minds just sometimes don't shut off.

It blew me away when I found out thinking burns calories. The mind seems to drive the body, like when your into a project or just really into a subject. I always get juiced up and want to keep going.

The mind drives the chemical factory in our bodies that regulate and controls our emotions. Rather strange that we actually create the chemicals that "make" us feel the way we do.

~ LB