Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Harvesting an LG BH08ls20 8x bluray burner

Hey PL...
I think I know a guy that knows a guy that sells LPMs....:whistle:

Jerry

Heh, whomever could you mean? :D

Yeah, I really wish I could afford an LPM, I'd really like to get the data out on what this baby pushes, but I really don't have any money right now.

I'll be MORE than happy to do some readings for you, for free!

Well thanks for the offer, but I'm really not willing to ship it to Amerikastan... I'm sure it'd end up stolen, confiscated, or destroyed by customs, and I'd end up on some FDA laser terrorism watchlist.

removing without heat

:wave: I just removed my GGW-20L diode and it looks like the same heatsink setup as the 8X I decided not to heat it, I used a real small drill bit in a dremel it poped right out took about 20 seconds to do just drilled on the glue seam.

peace Pyro...

What i wouldnt give for a gorgeous 8x like that. i am envious my friend, keep up the nice work!

:wave: I just removed my GGW-20L diode and it looks like the same heatsink setup as the 8X I decided not to heat it, I used a real small drill bit in a dremel it poped right out took about 20 seconds to do just drilled on the glue seam.

peace Pyro...

There are like 3 different heatsink setups.

Well thanks for the offer, but I'm really not willing to ship it to Amerikastan... I'm sure it'd end up stolen, confiscated, or destroyed by customs, and I'd end up on some FDA laser terrorism watchlist.

Wait, you're not in America?

Who is your boss?
Did he buy 8x burners just for you to make lasers out of?

Who is your boss?
Did he buy 8x burners just for you to make lasers out of?

Yeah pretty much.

He wanted one for himself, and he wanted to give me a birthday present, so he bought two drives.. I built the first one for him, he blew it up within a couple days (yikes! $300 mistake!)... The second one is still working fine, though I get this nagging urge to up the current on it...

I work for a small, locally owned computer store, and I'm one of only three employees... I pretty much run the store by myself, and we've been doing pretty well lately.. The laser is basically a "thank you" for the amount of profit we've been taking in lately, and how much I've contributed to keeping the shop up and running.

I still can't for the life of me fathom why he bought these two drives at retail, when we could have ordered them at wholesale for at least $50 less, but he said it was an impulse buy and he wanted a laser for that evening... *shrug*

I notice that the price of 8x burners has gone up recently. Are we doing this ???

Mike

My boss killed his within the first couple days. Re-read the thread.

I ended up sending the dead diode to Spiderz since he said he might be able to repair it, or at least take some high res macro shots of it.. He hasn't got back to me yet.

Looking back, I think what might have caused it is that some of the driver's wiring was exposed, and it may have touched the case, though he did say he left it on for five solid minutes then turned it on and off rapidly. In either case, the one I built for myself is still holding up fine. I've left it on for as much as two minutes, though I usually keep the duty cycle under a minute.

My boss killed his within the first couple days. Re-read the thread.

I ended up sending the dead diode to Spiderz since he said he might be able to repair it, or at least take some high res macro shots of it.. He hasn't got back to me yet.

Looking back, I think what might have caused it is that some of the driver's wiring was exposed, and it may have touched the case, though he did say he left it on for five solid minutes then turned it on and off rapidly. In either case, the one I built for myself is still holding up fine. I've left it on for as much as two minutes, though I usually keep the duty cycle under a minute.
I remembered that today...
I never got a diode in the mail.

I just ordered a LG Bulk Model WH08LS20K - OEM
from newegg

Hopefully it's the same drive. specs are the same as I can tell maybe less the light scribe.

Nice harvesting tutorial. Hope I can use it.

Cheers,

SightFX