Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Happy Birthday Mr Alaskan.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Wow Diachi, I genuinely thought there was an age gap between us. Instead you're only going to be two years older.
It is nice to see another mature younger member. :)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Why start your own thing? When older, it really sucks working with sharp young men who have an ego, or someone who thinks the way to get ahead is to try to make themselves look better than the next guy, in what ever way they can to do so. When you get older like me it becomes fairly difficult to put up with, I think that will get even worse as I get older. I think a lot of people retire because they get tired of the BS, when you have been around the block a dozen times, you know which houses have the cats and dogs, know what is coming next before you even turn the corner. Figuring out the possible problems coming are not if, instead they become a question of when.

Chris, you really nailed it with that statement; I agree that it definitely gets harder to put up with, and that it won't get better.
I've seen a lot of good sharp people either retire earlier than planned, or just move on because of these conditions, many times leaving a knowledge void because many (not all) of these sharp young people still believe they know everything, and are totally unaware of the expertise going out the door with these veteran employees.

But then again, I'm probably just another disgruntled old guy. ;)

I've become less willing to stick around when things like that are going on, too much of the time there is always a coworker who uses a pushy controlling sometimes denigrating attitude to stay on top, and it often works for them, if they have enough experience. I left my last job because of that, the guy was doing that to everyone to some degree, one day he did it to me and I started looking for another job, that's why I'm in Iraq.... well, and the job out here pays 2X :p

diachi

Wow Diachi, I genuinely thought there was an age gap between us. Instead you're only going to be two years older.

You're 21? That's funny! I would have guessed that you're older than me by a couple years! :p

Chris, you really nailed it with that statement; I agree that it definitely gets harder to put up with, and that it won't get better.
I've seen a lot of good sharp people either retire earlier than planned, or just move on because of these conditions, many times leaving a knowledge void because many (not all) of these sharp young people still believe they know everything, and are totally unaware of the expertise going out the door with these veteran employees.

But then again, I'm probably just another disgruntled old guy. ;)

It's the little tricks of the trade that can only be learned over the course of decades that are incredibly useful. I don't know how many times my old man has solved a problem that I couldn't, even in an area where I'm more qualified - or at least more up to date on, simply because he has more experience. Not just my old man of course, it's happened with plenty of other older folk too. There's no replacement for experience.

When I was younger I used to try to make myself look better than other technicians, it was part of the way the group of technicians I worked with operated, always doing that.... Today, I feel no need to do that and when I see someone 20 years or more younger than me trying to pull that crap on me, I don't have much patience for it anymore, I usually don't say much but not expressing my displeasure with such behavior comes at a very high personal cost.

these sharp young people still believe they know everything,

I'd like to think that wears off pretty early on though. I was a fairly late bloomer and I pretty much grew out of that a few years ago now. (I am 26, although probably not as mature as some here, I have largely been mellowed by some life experiences recently and other factors)

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
You're 21? That's funny! I would have guessed that you're older than me by a couple years!

It shows it actually can be hard to tell age apart on this forum, if we all are mature and knowledgeable that is.

Alaskan, I desperately try to keep my ego at bay for that reason. I appreciate older experience and knowledge, it is one of the reasons why I joined the forum. The only thing I don't like, is when you are judged simply based on your age by some older people. They seem to presume that your knowledge is instantly inferior. It is why I haven't posted my age on my profile, due to previous experiences. Haven't come across that here I am glad to say. :)

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I'd like to think that wears off pretty early on though. I was a fairly late bloomer and I pretty much grew out of that a few years ago now. (I am 26, although probably not as mature as some here, I have largely been mellowed by some life experiences recently and other factors)

I agree, for most people it wears off as they realize that there is still much to be learned, and that a lot of this can only be done through experience.

I'm actually very impressed that most all the young members that have been here for a while, are extremely mature and quite knowledgable.
As many here have said, if most of the young members hadn't stated their age, they would generally thought to be older.

Hello Alaskan,
Very nice +rep message, Thank you!
And have a Happy (and safe) Birthday wherever part of the world you happen to be in.

Encap

Hey Alaskan--a belated Happy Birthday and many happy returns.

Remember , your Birthday isn't over until the last card or Happy Birthday post is received.

Last edited:
If diachi is 19, and is two years older than Curtis, than how is he 21? :wave:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
:crackup: Sean, Diachi is going to be 23. And I'm Curtis and I'm 21. :D

Last edited: