Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

(Handy) OnePlus One Invites to share

I was temped to go with the Nexus 7 (instead of Fire HDX) because of the integrated Qi charger; but upon further inspection Qi charging is limited to 5Watts maximum, and typically runs lower power, and this is before losses are accounted for. It should be noted that modern high end 5V USB charging systems are trending ever upward as cell capacities rise, with many being around 9Watts now. As such using a Qi charger results in 2x longer charge times than a wired charge method.

I do really like wireless charging, but IMO from an RF engineering standpoint it needs a lot of improvement. I haven't even touched on Tx/Rx coupling geometries or keep-full trickle charge support.

ARG

I was temped to go with the Nexus 7 (instead of Fire HDX) because of the integrated Qi charger; but upon further inspection Qi charging is limited to 5Watts maximum, and typically runs lower power, and this is before losses are accounted for. It should be noted that modern high end 5V USB charging systems are trending ever upward as cell capacities rise, with many being around 9Watts now. As such using a Qi charger results in 2x longer charge times than a wired charge method.

I do really like wireless charging, but IMO from an RF engineering standpoint it needs a lot of improvement. I haven't even touched on Tx/Rx coupling geometries or keep-full trickle charge support.

Wireless charging on my phone is awful. If I let it go at full power it makes my phone way too hot, and at lower powers it charges too slowly to be worth it.

I never thought of wireless charging...there are already way too much electromagnetic waves in the air around me ;)

3Pig

seems like I'm the only one who doesn't want a one plus one, its too big and I think the invite only thing is retarded, its like they don't want my money.

Nexus 4 was as big as I wanted to go, but I smashed it and now all the nice phones require 2 hands. Also nothing beats the nexus 4 in terms of aesthetics, NOTHING.

rhd

Hey rhd, I have an invite if you're willing to get it.

It will expire in less than 24 hours though.

PM sent. :)

Hmmm, what do you think they're going to do on black friday?

I guess I can't wait and see if I use your invite eh?

Maybe I should go for it anyway.

Hmmm, what do you think they're going to do on black friday?

I guess I can't wait and see if I use your invite eh?

Maybe I should go for it anyway.

Yeah, I'm curious what event they would hold. Maybe I should waited out? :beer:

ped

Like 3pig said, the invite thing is stupid. It's like their saying "you should count yourself lucky to have one of our phones".

No thanks, you're lucky to get our money, its a tough world out there with plenty of other choices.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Apologies for the bump but I'm looking for an invite.

My Nexus 4 died yesterday and I'm without a phone.

More details on how I destroyed the phone: OnePlus One invites (and how I destroyed my phone) | BudgetLightForum.com

That SUCKS! :cryyy:

I am currently using a non-smart (dumb?) phone until I decide what to get next.

I busted my HTC Desire (original version) earlier this year (it got wet [and the screen already had a major crack from a previous dropping]) and was waiting until the next generation of each of the "main" phones came out before I decided what to get.

I was originally thinking I'd go with the Nexus 6, but when I saw how big it was..... :eek: I do like the looks of the OnePlus One, but it too is a tick on the large side.

Smartphones are like big fish stories - they get bigger and bigger each year. :D

I was happy with the 3.7" HTC Desire screen so kinda back to the drawing board until I can find something this isn't so massive.

rhd

No thanks, you're lucky to get our money, its a tough world out there with plenty of other choices.

The problem though is that there really aren't, at this price point. I haven't seen anything at $350 that is genuine competition for the OnePlus.

Even at $700+, the Samsungs, although good phones, don't match Oneplus' build quality, which is among the best I've seen.

ped

I'd argue against that. Have you seen the Oppo phones?
If their that good, and at a good price.. why doesn't everyone have one? .
I work in the mobile phone business, and until l this thread, I'd never heard of them.

Regards

rhd

I'd argue against that. Have you seen the Oppo phones?
If their that good, and at a good price.. why doesn't everyone have one? .
I work in the mobile phone business, and until l this thread, I'd never heard of them.

Regards

I've never seen an Oppo phone up close, but if they're good, that reinforces my point. OnePlus is OPPO. Well, basically. There's some argument that I haven't really followed about how independent the companies are, but basically, it's the same people.

You don't seen OnePlus around because there aren't many around. But rarity doesn't correlate, in either direction, with quality.

I agree that the invite system is stupid. It pissed me off to no end for months before I got an invite, mostly because I had no desire or interest in or time to play their childish lottery / marketing / social blah blah blah games.

That said, I care less about their sales and marketing strategy than I do about the quality of their phone. I've had iPhones, two HTCs androids, three Samsung androids, an LG android, and a Nexus. With the possible exception of one of the HTC phones I owned (one of the older ones) the OnePlus is the highest quality / best built phone I've owned (ignoring obvious advantages it has by virtue of the fact that it is the newest and thus has better specs).