Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hadron Collider

Waaaait... If we can create small black holes, can we put one in a nice host, with a shutter in front of it and a lens, to create a black laser that sucks in light when you push the button and lift the shutter?

KiLLrB

large-hadron-collider-demotivational-poster-1220496129.jpg

Razako

The odds of something actually happening are effectively nonexistent and at the current rate people are gonna ruin the planet in a few hundred years anyway. Fire it up n see what happens:evil:

Btw what exactly do people mean by strangelets? Is that supposed to be some weird kind of matter that will warp/transform normal matter that it comes in contact with? I guess it would start a chain reaction transforming the whole planet into "strange" matter or something.

Btw what exactly do people mean by strangelets? Is that supposed to be some weird kind of matter that will warp/transform normal matter that it comes in contact with? I guess it would start a chain reaction transforming the whole planet into "strange" matter or something.

That's exactly what the theory is.

mfo

You know, space is so much weirder and stranger than you'd really think just by looking at it. One must sometimes ask themselves, is it really that strange or are we just over thinking it?

this isnt the first time weve taken risks like this without knowing fully what the outcome could be. before we set off the first atomic bomb there was a theory that it would ignite the atmosphere and kill everyone. Personally im not that worried about it, but I wouldnt be opposed to them waiting a few years for physics to advance either. The thing is the way physics advances is by doing these kinds of experiments, so i guess they might as well just go for it...

ok, so, i got off course on wikipedia researching.
this is what i found
A1689-zD1 is the most distant and therefore oldest known galaxy discovered as of February 2008

that would imply that (they think) were are in fact at the center of the universe...

hold on just a sec, they think were the center of the universe still? i thought we went over this in, well, the 17th century!

now before you guys start hating on this... let me explain, if the oldest part of the universe is in all directions around us (A.K.A. "is the most distant and therefore oldest known galaxy") than the newest part is our sun... and if in fact there is galaxys the same age at about the same distance all around us... that that leads me to belive that they think we are at the center of the universe... well... the sun actualy. thiers my rant....

source... kind of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1689-zD1

Last edited:
its the oldest we know about because it took that light about 10 billion years to get here because its 10 billion light years away which means it was there 10 billion years ago. its just the oldest one we can prove. I dont see how this leads you to believe theyre saying were at the center of the universe...

mfo

its the oldest we know about because it took that light about 10 billion years to get here because its 10 billion light years away which means it was there 10 billion years ago. its just the oldest one we can prove. I dont see how this leads you to believe theyre saying were at the center of the universe...

cocainehellweb.jpg

ok, so, i got off course on wikipedia researching.
this is what i found

Quote:
A1689-zD1 is the most distant and therefore oldest known galaxy discovered as of February 2008

that would imply that (they think) were are in fact at the center of the universe...

hold on just a sec, they think were the center of the universe still? i thought we went over this in, well, the 17th century!

now before you guys start hating on this... let me explain, if the oldest part of the universe is in all directions around us (A.K.A. "is the most distant and therefore oldest known galaxy") than the newest part is our sun... and if in fact there is galaxys the same age at about the same distance all around us... that that leads me to belive that they think we are at the center of the universe... well... the sun actualy. thiers my rant....

Is their something wrong with that sentence MFO?

mfo

Is their something wrong with that sentence MFO?

There are a couple of things wrong with that "sentence".

"hold on just a sec, they think were the center of the universe still?"

First off, it's a run on sentence. The proper way to word it would have been...

"Hold on just a sec. They still think we're the center of the universe?"

It should be a sentence followed by a question.

Second, he forgot to put an apostrophe in "we're". Third, improper punctuation. Four, it's just not worded the right way.

Also, you used the wrong "their". You should have used "there". The "their" you used is possessive. An example on how to properly use "their", "there" and "they're" would be as follows.

They're (They are) going to the ball game.

There is a spider on the wall.

Their property measures 5 square acres.

I was talking about my sentence. not his. and yes i use there and their wrong often. i also dont use apostrophes. what was wrong with "I dont see how this leads you to believe theyre saying were at the center of the universe..." sorry for not using apostrophes, but its the internet

Many, like me, scan the forums quickly because there is so much to read.
If I'm reading something, especially scientific in nature, and I come across a sentance with both past and present words used or stumble on "there", I hit the back button. I don't take time to translate from internet to American English.

HMike

mfo

Are you serious? We're talking science and you're rambling on about grammatical errors?

I can live with that.

He asked a question and I answered it. What's wrong with talking about grammatical errors? Having good grammar is important.