Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Gun-type host

c10tc.jpg

2i1gxmw.jpg

14vr9g0.jpg

is there anyone who prefer gun-type host?

this is draft render of my first gun-type host.

using push-lock LED button & OMRON micro switch for trigger.

applying integrated grip guard for enhanced heat dissipation.

Last edited:

This seems really cool. Good work and all but not something I would be into. Just my honest opinion.

All aluminum would add to the heat reservoir, it looks good, it would need a big square type holster. :beer:

GSS

Looks good!

More like a phaser than a gun. Might be more practical to repurpose a toy, bb, or replica gun. That's been done a few times, and looked good.

Edit: Here's the thread I was thinking of: http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/laser-gun-fires-like-gun-not-like-hpl-made-into-gun-63026.html
Everyone its coming up on yard sales time. Perfect place to find some childrens toy ray guns and most of them with simple sounding sound boards in them. For a $1 and a say a fastech 532 module you just can't beat it for the price and the for the fun factor. Iv'e built a couple but I can't post pics yet but I have shown some cell phone pics to some members. Also its nice to hit the family owned dollar stores out there, not the big chain store ones, these family owned stores seem to get some very realistic type toy guns and weapons through without the strict codes like being painted or made all orange. Not something though that a can of spray paint can't fix though need be:)

Last edited:
Almost 100% of hosts discussed are torches.
Maybe the reason is possible problems with law enforcement if they see someone with a gun-type host?

Nice, I'm trying to get a noisey cricket style gun host. Need experience building first though as replicas cost a lot!

I'm looking for an aluminum host copy of the space 1999 laser weapon on my icon. Can you do that???

Skans

Almost 100% of hosts discussed are torches. Maybe the reason is possible problems with law enforcement if they see someone with a gun-type host?

I would think that it would be easy enough to mill out an aluminum "pistol grip" that attaches to a torch-style host. Personally, I'd start with something already cast/milled like a hurst-shifter pistol grip. The trick would be to make a trigger that manipulates the on-off button on the torch. I'm actually surprised that no one has done this yet.

One thought I had is if someone could make a hollowed-out pistol grip that would attach to a torch-style host, it would be a great place to conceal some kind of cooling system to keep the laser module cooler. This could be done with a CO2 canister and a very slow release valve or perhaps a micro-fan concealed in the grip. You would have to incorporate some piping which would run to the heatsink. Don't mind me, I'm just brain-farting a little.

Here's an old one. Looks like crap but it was fun. Always wear laser safety glasses.

Attachments

• oldtoyb.jpg
    oldtoyb.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 94
  • oldtoya2.jpg
    oldtoya2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Skans

Don't laugh, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the "laser-gun" concepts presented in this thread (and others) wind up in a museum some day. The builders on this forum remind me of what Wozniak and others were doing with garage-built computers in the mid '70's. If government doesn't completely shut down the building of more powerful laser pointers, there's no doubt in my mind that buried between these threads are the forerunners of future hand-held laser weapons.

Battery power is still in its infancy. The power of laser diodes is continues to rapidly increase. What's the limit? No one has even attempted to tap into any sort of micro-cooling technology that may permit more even more powerful hand-held devices without burning up. There's still a lot that could be done with heat sinks too.

Last edited: