Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Greetings from Iowa

Scruffinator3K

Greetings Everybody!

Thanks for letting me join here. I've been creeping for a few weeks and finally took the plunge. So far I have learned a lot just by reading different threads and searching around. But I'm still a total noob, so I'm sure that will go on for a long time. It's been quite a while since I had a decent laser pointer, and my interest just rekindled. I'm already finding out how expensive this hobby can be! More mistakes = more expensive!! But making mistakes are sometimes the best way to learn! (As long as they are safe...) Oh and on that note just wanting to declare that I do have several pairs of decent quality safety goggles.

Pleasure to meet you all.
Are there any others here in or near Iowa?

Snecho

Welcome, glad to have you.

Enjoy your start to an exciting journey.
Hopefully you have EaglePair.

Scruffinator3K

Welcome, glad to have you.

Enjoy your start to an exciting journey.
Hopefully you have EaglePair.
Thanks guys!!

@Snecho No, but they are professional grade goggles that are lab certified for my required wavelength. Just out of curiosity, why are the EaglePair so highly regarded? I have seen many referrals to the EaglePair glasses here. They almost seem like the gold standard. Are they that much superior, to even professional grade goggles?

Snecho

Thanks guys!!

@Snecho No, but they are professional grade goggles that are lab certified for my required wavelength. Just out of curiosity, why are the EaglePair so highly regarded? I have seen many referrals to the EaglePair glasses here. They almost seem like the gold standard. Are they that much superior, to even professional grade goggles?
It's a "better safe than sorry" mentality. Most assume new members don't know the details of just how important safety goggles are because so many think the $1 eBay Chinese colored plastic are good enough. So basically EaglePair are known and certified so it's easy to reccomend for guaranteed protection. That and they are just simply super high quality for not a lot of money with OD5-OD6 ratings and extremely high light transmission. Plus there's just not really much competition.

That's why they're just the best all around googles for the laser hobbiest.

Scruffinator3K

It's a "better safe than sorry" mentality. Most assume new members don't know the details of just how important safety goggles are because so many think the $1 eBay Chinese colored plastic are good enough. So basically EaglePair are known and certified so it's easy to reccomend for guaranteed protection. That and they are just simply super high quality for not a lot of money with OD5-OD6 ratings and extremely high light transmission. Plus there's just not really much competition.

That's why they're just the best all around googles for the laser hobbiest.

@Snecho Well that makes sense. Thank you very much for the good info! You definitely don't want to take a chance with burning your eyeballs out...

Where in Iowa, we aren't there now but my family is :).
Originally from Cedar Rapids. :)

@icecruncher Right on! I used to live in Iowa City for some years. Now living out in the sticks near Pella.

@Snecho Well that makes sense. Thank you very much for the good info! You definitely don't want to take a chance with burning your eyeballs out...

@icecruncher Right on! I used to live in Iowa City for some years. Now living out in the sticks near Pella.

I've been going back to visit my mom the last few years, but probably not this one.

Cedar Rapids has a cool distillery (Cedar Ridge) which is between CR and Iowa City - has a variety of very good liquors if you are into that kind of thing. I collect and its from where I grew up, so I had to get one of each (its a whole lot of bottles) I'm more if a taster than a drinker.

Scruffinator3K

I've been going back to visit my mom the last few years, but probably not this one.

Cedar Rapids has a cool distillery (Cedar Ridge) which is between CR and Iowa City - has a variety of very good liquors if you are into that kind of thing. I collect and its from where I grew up, so I had to get one of each (its a whole lot of bottles) I'm more if a taster than a drinker.
I'm more of a beer/wine taster than liquor, but I do love a good mixed drink or high quality smooth sipper. I have been to the Cedar Rapids beer summit dressed like a leprechaun.
I don't know when I'll be back up that way, but typically swing thru there a few times a year.

Hmmm
IOWALEM in the future???
only takes two...

@hakzaw1 Hey man, I'm down if you're hosting!!