Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green Laser Broke! HELP

spakky

after i spent $150 on a 50mw green laser, i got to find out that i can "pot" mod it so it can burn things.
cool. i might try it.

i took it apart and everything, but the piece i needed to "solder" was not there. so i simply put it all back together. everything in the same place, nothing changed.

now the thing won't even work. tried new batteries and still nothing.

anyone haave any idea why?

Simplest thing first, did you put the batteries the right way round?
On greenies the neg goes to the front of the pointer.

Next, when you say you took it apart, did you take the module out in one piece with the drive circuit?

Regards rog8811

Why would you pot mod an expensive laser? And also please show some pictures for the model, etc... You have probably broken something, or maybe loosened up a connection. More information is needed: Is it a pen style? have you checked to see that the connections are good?

wamp wamp wowww :p never asttempt a pot mod its usually death
disassembling a laser could mean death if you know not what you do ::)

JLSE

If whats been suggested doesnt work, remove the module and try powering it with the +3v lead touching the brass module and negative to the spring.

If the laser begins to work, its most likely the connection between the laser module and the host +ground. There might be some glue in the way, just clean it and try again.

spakky

Can't post pics, or links to pics. Soo, yeah. I have some pictures but can't lead you to them..

you could try doubleyoudoubleyoudoubleyouDOTcomDOTphotobucketDOTcomSLASHninja_zakky

spakky

ugh this is impossible. i will post the legit link when i get ten posts.

mmmmm... I do hope that's a cigarette you're smoking..

As for the laser, I can't really see any reason why that module shouldn't work. You may have killed with a static discharge like from your clothing, or the connection between the brass case and the pointer housing isn't good. The brass module case is the positive terminal for those modules.

EDIT for typo

JLSE

That module came from a chrome pointer, didnt it :-/

That looks like a DX 20mW inner. Where exactly did you buy this?

And why is the first post saying 50mW now and not 200mW?

spakky

I'm smoking shisha in that pic.. hookah =]

and it always said 50mw..
as for the discharge idea, i touched a piece of metal before i took it apart, so shouldn't that have made all the static on me discharge? my dad told me to always do that when messing with circuit boards.

The laser pointer itself is black, powdercoated. It is a 50mw, my friend got a 20mw and this one was wayyy brighter and went further.

I don't have a lot of skill with these things, so i can't do toooo much to fix it.

Anyone want to buy it? I am sure it could be made to work.

JLSE

spakky said:
I'm smoking shisha in that pic.. hookah =]

and it always said 50mw..
as for the discharge idea, i touched a piece of metal before i took it apart, so shouldn't that have made all the static on me discharge? my dad told me to always do that when messing with circuit boards.

The laser pointer itself is black, powdercoated. It is a 50mw, my friend got a 20mw and this one was wayyy brighter and went further.

I don't have a lot of skill with these things, so i can't do toooo much to fix it.

Anyone want to buy it? I am sure it could be made to work.

Sorry about that, wrong thread...

Is there a red glow or anything being emmited? use a web cam or a regular cam and see if there is a whitish blue glow coming from the tip. If there is some light, could be an overdriven / dead crystal set, or a dead diode.

Also when you remove the module from the pen, any stress on the board can move a loose diode out of alignment from the crystals. Its not very common, but it does happen.