Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Greek rioters use lasers against police

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...iolence-boys-death-continues-second-week.html

article-0-02CC464A000005DC-127_468x382.jpg

xmtgx

TBH, I'm more interested in how/why the police killed the 15 y/o boy.

A couple of years ago, the thought of being able to acquire and build a portable, visible, burning laser or any kind of portable laser above just a few mill watts, would have been thought impossible or at the least hideously expensive.

But, because of consumer driven technology, those lasers (with a little tinkering) can now be had by anyone.
As the technology advances and manufacturing scales increase, we'll shortly be seeing 10x or 20x speed Blu Ray burners, Laser tv projectors built into Blackberry's and diamond laser tubes that have a near 1:1 input/output power efficiency, with near superconductor like heat transfer, allowing .5 mm diode form factors to reach hundreds of watts -with only passive cooling.

I may not get to see a flying car in every garage during my lifetime, but I bet I'll be here when Congress has to vote on whether laser guns have to be regulated the same as firearms...

Razako

Interesting story. I would need to know more about the death of the kid before I can decide if the riot is justified.

daguin

Coherent said:
Interesting story.  I would need to know more about the death of the kid before I can [highlight]decide if the riot is justified[/highlight].

Now that's an interesting concept.  :-?

Peace,
dave

I remember hearing about this riot on the news the other day...didn't mention anything about lasers though.

BTW, that's an awesome beamshot. ^_^

Fotons

That's too bad about the boy dying in the hands of the police, at this point I think there just looking for an excuse to go crazy!
Just my .02 :-/

im half greek, and I like lasers, but I'm very scared to get my laser near cops, planes...etc..

It's been my personal experience that most teenagers and college students are idiots. Most have no clue about the real world and believe they have all the answers for the world's problems. Unfortunately they lack the one critical component required: mileage. Here's another example of their solutions for a problem. Let's look at the timeline.

1) Cops kill boy. Why? Let's see: "According to witnesses, the shooting occurred around 9:00 p.m. when a small group of youths attacked a police patrol car. A police officer fired three shots, hitting the teenager in the chest. Witness accounts diverge widely over what happened."

2) Teenagers and college students riot all over Athens solving the problem by: throwing petrol bombs and stones. "The riots in cities throughout the country have left at least 70 people injured. Hundreds of stores have been smashed and looted, and more than 200 people have been arrested."

Yes, that has solved the problem! Retards. NO RIOT IS EVER JUSTIFIED. It only hurts the very people and their livelihoods that the riot is purported to be for. "I'm looting your store to help you man! Power to the people!"

Eh, don't be such a curmudgeon. If you're young and have nothing to lose a riot can be fun.

Most of those kids aren't trying to change the world. There's an exploding population of people, and the gulf between the 'haves' and the 'have nots' is growing. I doubt most of those Greek kids are trying to change the world, they're just angry at their condition, and there's a culture of rioting and defying authority in Greece.

looks like there's a lot of smoke in the air, it's probably like 30mw or something

Benm

Hard to guess power from the beamshots.. all the soot and smoke from the burning cars, molotov cocktails, teargas, smokebombs and what not must make any beam very very visible. Just look at the photo - visibilty is perhaps 100 meters, like very dense fog.

And as far as using lasers for riots is a problem... well, i guess we will come to that point when portable lasers are around that actually do more damage then say a molotov cocktail.

Benm

FrothyChimp said:
1) Cops kill boy. Why? Let's see: "According to witnesses, the shooting occurred around 9:00 p.m. when a small group of youths attacked a police patrol car. A police officer fired three shots, hitting the teenager in the chest. Witness accounts diverge widely over what happened."

2) Teenagers and college students riot all over Athens solving the problem by: throwing petrol bombs and stones. "The riots in cities throughout the country have left at least 70 people injured. Hundreds of stores have been smashed and looted, and more than 200 people have been arrested."

Yes, that has solved the problem! Retards. NO RIOT IS EVER JUSTIFIED. It only hurts the very people and their livelihoods that the riot is purported to be for. "I'm looting your store to help you man! Power to the people!"

I think you are forgetting the step before it..

0) There is a situation which feels like a large injustice to many, leading to a situation where a small spark will eventually light a big fire.

Also, the police shooting some dead is quite a big spark from european perspective. I live in holland, a country of 16 million people, and every single police-shot-fatality is national news here. It happens only every month or so, probably less than that. Violence is rare here, only about 150 people are mudered or manslaughtered annually here - per capita that equates to less than 1/5th in the united states.

Still, damaging other private property and looting are not excusable, but all too often the major effect of any protest.