Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Good soldering iron

Last edited:

If you go just below the price you will see a link to the replacement tips, I would get these: ETA, ETO, ETDD. you can get the model with the read out if you like to see things but it is not nessary, I don't have a readout and I been soldering for 35 years and havent needed one. hope this helps !

Peace All pyro...

Cool! It sounds great! You mentioned something about tips. Where can I get these replacement tips? Also, how many would I need? thanks in advance!

Yeah... it's hard to beat the reliability of a Weller Soldering Station...
I've been using them since I start my 1st company way back in
1988... and mine don't have an LCD display either... the tip type #
regulates the temperature using an internal megnetic/thermal switch.

I wouldn't ever need to look for anything better than a Weller... IMO

BTW... our tips (#PTA7) in the shop last about a year... and we do a
bit more soldering than the average hobbyist...:cool:

Jerry

Last edited:
Ok thanks a lot guys. Your help is really appreciated. I will think about it and let you know what I will buy. Thanks again!

drlava

excellent choice. That's the iron I use, too. ETA and ETS tips :)

Tabish

Thanks for all the input.

Weller it is. Although they seem a bit pricey. I'll just get one when my current one dies.

Well it seems the shipping cost is f*cked up. $127 just for shipping is just too much :( I will get something from the local store I guess :/

I found myself in a similar situation a while back. The choice was between the WES51 and a Hakko 936. I settled on the Hakko since it was slightly cheaper, and the Aoyue tips work with it as well. The tips are a bit more pricey compared to the Weller though. Speaking of which, Aoyue might be another company to check out. I hear they are supposed to be pretty good, but I don't have any personal experience with them. SRA Solder (here) might be the place to check out.
I'm thinking of getting a hot air rework station from there.

Last edited:

Benm

Weller is sort of the standard A brand for electronics soldering, but there might be better value for money options out there. Aoyue carries a line of very affordable soldering stations - particularly model 937 seems suitable for beginners and costs around $50. Btw, i think Hakko might just be re-branded Aoyue, especially since the model numbers match.

On the LCD vs 'just a turn knob' issue: It doesnt have to make a difference in performance. Once nice thing about LCD units is that they can show both actual and set temperature, so you can see your iron cool down when trying to solder something too big... but that shouldnt be of much concern when working on small parts.

Well you all have convinced me that I need to upgrade from my 20W RadioShack soldering iron lol.... well actually you didn't but the fact that it won't even heat up enough to melt solder any more and I have to take my butane torch to it in order to heat it up : ) but anyway looks like I will be looking into the aoyue 936 or 937 as I don't know if I need the LCD or Turn Knob ..... Depends how generous my parents are over Christmas. : )
But in the mean time has anybody had any reviews on this to tide me over?
SALE! - 60Watt Heavy Duty Soldering Iron-The Electronic Goldmine

I'm just starting out with soldering my self.
I can tell you is that the 60W iron you linked to. Is way to hot, for doing lasers.

Thanks for all the input.

Weller it is. Although they seem a bit pricey. I'll just get one when my current one dies.

There is a reason they are pricey... You can buy a Weller and have it
work flawlessly for many.. many years... (my oldest one is 25years old
and is still soldering every day)....
Or you can get a bargain brand solderingn station and replace it once or
twice a year...

Jerry