Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

gonna try a 375nm pointer build...

Finished the video, at over 9 minutes it is probably my longest vid yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ONp_McwJS0

Sorry for the clickbaity title, but on today's YT market you gotta drive interest somehow... :rolleyes:

It looks almost gray actually, with a little bit of violet to it. Reminds me a bit of 355nm. I haven't actually put it through a grating yet, but I assume it is the 375nm I'm seeing.

I'm late to the party, just saw this :) I'd sure like to see the beam with a fogger or something :drool:

Zom-B

Fun fact, you can also see the polarization of light with the naked eye.

https://www.polarization.com/haidinger/haidinger.html

What a crappy images. Wikipedia does a much better job with an image that really looks like the effect irl. Btw, contrary to what some people say, it's not something that can't be unseen. If you forget about it for a while you stop seeing it, just like not thinking about breathing or blinking makes the process normal again.

Sigh....I have decided to postpone my second career...as a Stand Up Comic.....The complete absence of any reply ...to my genius lyrics...have left me Butt Hurt...SOooo...I now do have a "Monster Rash" Get crack'in Styro !! With all due respect !!! Of course !!

MMMM ??? Lumia projected into a normal Fog...but a fog spun into a tornado-like vortex...might also be a novel effect...Yikes...Another " 10 on the TFOH 'O' Meter !!

Beam out

My 375nm diode has apparently went to LD heaven. :( :( :(

The LD did have a very high threshold current, and took nearly double the current than what was cited on datasheets for likely similar diodes. It may have already been in "zombie" mode when I got it. My lens wasn't the issue (it transmitted 375nm pretty well). I'm very sad about this, but at least I did get to experience a 375nm handheld.

CDBEAM777, I still haven't forgotten about the fluorescent fog idea!! Won't be able to do it with a 375nm laser but the effect will look cooler with a high powered 405nm anyway.

My 375nm diode has apparently went to LD heaven. :( :( :(

The LD did have a very high threshold current, and took nearly double the current than what was cited on datasheets for likely similar diodes. It may have already been in "zombie" mode when I got it. My lens wasn't the issue (it transmitted 375nm pretty well). I'm very sad about this, but at least I did get to experience a 375nm handheld.

CDBEAM777, I still haven't forgotten about the fluorescent fog idea!! Won't be able to do it with a 375nm laser but the effect will look cooler with a high powered 405nm anyway.

Ouch, we will wish that LD a great afterlife with all the other diodes we all sacrifice for this hobby. Such a pity to see such a rare diode go.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Sorry to hear that Styropyro. :( Well, it may of gone. But you managed to be the first one to make a portable UV diode laser out of it, so it served its purpose.
RIP. :can:

Last edited:
Styro...a little poem to ease your pain !!!...You've earned it !!!!

"Ode to the Laser Diode Commode Mode"

I love my Laser Diode, With the light so pure
I love it's lockstep mode. The twinkling color has such allure.

She sends out a beam of light. My emissary into the Sky at nite.
She bends not at any height. Photons streaming in full flight.

But alas, there comes a time, when out the light does go.
I cringe and do cry out in a sad chime, What happened to the coherent show?

I let out the magic smoke, by bad luck or excessive current flow.
My LD, she is broke, No more will she be aglow

Yes, The above " Iambic Pentameter" wanna be....is the result of excessive under age pot smoking !!! HAHAHA JK....Tin Foil on the old noggin is the real cause !!

CDBEAM

Last edited:

Yes, The above " Iambic Pentameter" wanna be....is the result of excessive under age pot smoking !!! HAHAHA JK....Tin Foil on the old noggin is the real cause !!

CDBEAM

:crackup: That's hilarious.

Last edited:

Razako

Awe that sucks to hear. Oh well, it died in the name of science. You still got the experience of briefly owning something nobody else has ever had.

Thanx Sean !! I enjoy....relaxing on a Friday nite...after L O N G week at work....and honestly....LPF needs more humor...and...I ... "Stand and Deliver" !! And...all you ....suffer !! HAHAHA !!
Also...see attached a small pic of Dr. Benton Quest...my hero....working on a LASER !! Yikes...Showing my...age...To bad...l# iss Off !!
Back to working on a build !!

CDBEAM

Attachments

• Dr Benton Quest tinkers with a LASER 1.png
    Dr Benton Quest tinkers with a LASER 1.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 21
What mode? :oops:

- Zom-B
I had written out what a zombie diode was...then I finally realized what your username was. :D

CDBEAM
I shall print this out, and stick it onto a dedicated diode casket. :)

wow. RIP little diode....and frankly, I doubt it was a NICHIA based on what you got it out of. it was probably one of the older ones like mine. What current was it rated? if you ran it double, I'm not surprised it didn't last long regardless. (and glass does absorb UV quite alot) I have a 375nm diode lab laser by Melles Griot, and it came to me doing 9mW or so at a typical current for that model, though I know it goes much higher. I don't envy ever replacing it, so I don't run it but hardly ever.

Last edited:
wow. RIP little diode....and frankly, I doubt it was a NICHIA based on what you got it out of. it was probably one of the older ones like mine. What current was it rated? if you ran it double, im not surprised it didn/t last long regardless. glass does absorb UV quite alot. I have a 375nm diode lab laser by Melles Griot, and it came to me doing 9mW or so at a typical current for that model, though I know it goes much higher. I don't envy ever replacing it, so I don't run it but hardly ever.
Who else has manufactured UV laser diodes in the past? Not sdisagreeing with you, just curious on where the diode came from. I have no clue what it was actually rated for, but going off of old Nichia datasheets it took nearly double the rated current of those to lase. I used what was likely an AixiZ glass lens for 405nm and it didn't absorb much. My meter isn't precise at low powers but the difference between the raw output and the output with a lens was around 1mW. It was cool while it lasted for sure...doubt I'll get another one so cheap for a long time.