Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Glowsticks

Just a suggestion, it's possible the OP was trying to fool us. He made 2 posts, both on this thread, and was never seen again.

HIMNL9

Possible, anyway the degradation of the working cycle of glowsticks exposed to light is a fact that i've experimented personally (for an accident, but happened), and the subject is still interesting ;)

The glow sticks both lasted 4 hours and not 2..I was building some drivers last night and turned the big overhead on, and it was so bright I thought the sticks had died out. I still have another blue I found. Any suggestions for testing it, and I can't do a control with only one. HIMNL9 I do believe you on the light degradation, because they are sold in pouches that seem to be light resistant. Since the 2 last night ran 4 hours I could expose this one for a longer period of time.:thinking:

Just got a glowstick uncracked which i imagine had been out of its container for quite a while. Snapped it and it didn't work at all.

I did believe you about the light, HIMNL9, but the OP said 5 minutes and 20mW (advertised, i assume, green i imagine). 532 has a lower photonic energy than 405 and 445 and Coherent's ones were both more powerful.

So either the OP was using a different shape than Coherent or colour does matter or the OP was talking nonsense.

Or a bunch of other things which are occuring to me but are so unlikely they're not worth typing.

Just for craps and giggles I'll expose the one I have left to 30 minutes of 405 that should simulate a week or so exposed to sunlight in a bright room. If it still glows then the Laser premise is busted unless it's long wavelength ie IR that kills them. All H2O2 sold in stores is in a light proof container, so some component of light is destroying the hydrogen/oxygen bond. I just don't know what wavelength is the culprit.

Ok I hit it with the 405 for 1.5 hours, and I'll be damned the sucker worked just fine. It lasted for over 4 hours, so that it appears that 405 does not effect the H2O2 in the vial. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Last edited:

HIMNL9

Just one suggestion came me in mind, for Jai, if you have not yet throwed away the one that does not work, try to add some fresh H2O2 ..... if it work, then it's the original H2O2 in the vial that was degraded, if instead it still not work, then it's something other that is degraded.

Sorry HIMNL9, H2O2 is really strongly controlled here, i'd only be able to get it in very dilute solutions. And i already did throw it away anyways.

HIMNL9

It's a pity, but patience, it will be for another time ;)

Anyway, for do a test, i suppose that also just pharmaceutical H2O2 is ok ..... sure it will not glow too much, but will give some results ..... and paint shops here sell 130 Vol H2O2 too (it's a stupid contradiction, i know, that if i want to buy it in pharmacy, i have to order it a week before and pay high price, where instead if i go in paintshop, i can get it at half price immediately and with no controls, but i suppose it's part of the laws stupidity ..... after all, opposite than all the rest of the world, here GITD paints and powders are banned by law, and i don't know why :p ..... where instead you can still buy freely the components for make yourself at least 5 different high explosives :eg:).

If anyone find one of these unused glowsticks that does not work for light exposure, then it can be tried.

Also, another thing that came me in mind, is that all the times it happened for me, it was with standard "green light" glowsticks (i mean, in the past, when i found ones not working for light exposure, all them was green, i never buyed other colors, so i'm not sure if different colors may have the same degradation problem)

Last edited:
Haaaaang on a minute...

LAMADUK
LAMA DUK
as in....
Llama, Duck?

Yeah, he's been talking nonsense the whole time. This thread can go to hell...

Except now that we're discussing glowsticks and lasers, we might as well continue. Seems like an interesting topic.

@HIMNL9: My mum wears contact lenses, and the solution is 1% Hydrogen Peroxide i think. But as far as i'm aware that's the only form in which we can get it... well, that and hair bleaches, which i need to look into.

Also, i'd imagine that pharmaceutical H2O2 is different from paint-shop H2O2. Laboratory grade ethanol has methanol impurities in it, so if you drink it you go blind, but when they need pure ethanol they have to pay duty on it because it's safe to drink so it could be used to make alcoholic beverages.
I'd imagine distillation equipment to seperate ethanol and methanol by boiling point wouldn't be too difficult to get ahold of...
...idk, go figure...

HIMNL9

Not totally sure in England, sorry ..... but here, H2O2 for disinfection is 3,6% 12 Vol solution (some brands sells 3% 10 Vol solutions, for disinfection) ..... the one lab-grade i've got from pharmacy is 35% 130 Vol solution ..... the one i've got from paintshop is marked 130 Vol also, but does not report the percentage on the tag (it must be the same 35%, probably just contains some more impurities) ..... and the one i've seen for hair decoloration times ago, was marked 35 Vol, but i really don't remember the percentage (it must be around 10%, with the same scale).

Anyway, i know that different countries have different laws, about chemicals, and also, the double marking of the H2O2 in percentage and "volumes" can make some confusions ..... in lab environments, it's marked in percentage, where instead in civil environment is marked in Volumes

BTW, the "Volumes" indication is simply the number of volumes of oxygen that the total decomposition of the H2O2 can generate ..... if it say "12 Vol", it mean simply that 1 liter of H2O2 at 12 Vol can generate 12 liters of oxygen, at 0C and 1 atm pressure, when totally decomposed (and it's not a linear scale, cause doubling the percentage does not generate the double of oxygen, but something less)

Also, regardless how much you can search, it's practically impossible to find H2O2 over 60%, outside some high safety lab, cause in pure form it's an unstable substance, that sometimes self-explode for almost no reasons (look it bad enough and *KABOOM* :p).

try with a green laser at a red glowstick. it contains rhodamine, fluoresces pretty well and pretty (try with a 20W greenie :p)

HIMNL9

^ 20W of green will not fluoresce rhodamine too much ..... it will more probably vaporize it *POOF* :p :D

Not totally sure in England, sorry ..... but here, H2O2 for disinfection is 3,6% 12 Vol solution (some brands sells 3% 10 Vol solutions, for disinfection) ..... the one lab-grade i've got from pharmacy is 35% 130 Vol solution ..... the one i've got from paintshop is marked 130 Vol also, but does not report the percentage on the tag (it must be the same 35%, probably just contains some more impurities) ..... and the one i've seen for hair decoloration times ago, was marked 35 Vol, but i really don't remember the percentage (it must be around 10%, with the same scale).

Anyway, i know that different countries have different laws, about chemicals, and also, the double marking of the H2O2 in percentage and "volumes" can make some confusions ..... in lab environments, it's marked in percentage, where instead in civil environment is marked in Volumes

BTW, the "Volumes" indication is simply the number of volumes of oxygen that the total decomposition of the H2O2 can generate ..... if it say "12 Vol", it mean simply that 1 liter of H2O2 at 12 Vol can generate 12 liters of oxygen, at 0C and 1 atm pressure, when totally decomposed (and it's not a linear scale, cause doubling the percentage does not generate the double of oxygen, but something less)

Also, regardless how much you can search, it's practically impossible to find H2O2 over 60%, outside some high safety lab, cause in pure form it's an unstable substance, that sometimes self-explode for almost no reasons (look it bad enough and *KABOOM* :p).

Hmm... i'll take a look around. Wonder which kind were used for the tube bombings. Daren't look it up. The contact lens solution said "contains 1% Hydrogen Peroxide solution" and i assumed the % was the amount of the fluid in there that was Hydrogen Peroxide, but i guess not.

Also, why at 0 degrees C? Shouldn't it be at 20 degrees C, or 289K?

HIMNL9

Uhm, no, you're correct, the "1% hydrogen peroxide" solution means literaly that, so the solution is probably 99% deionized water and other biocompatible detergents, and 1% hydrogen peroxide, for disinfection purpose.

The 0C and 1Atm is the lab condition that they use for measure the volumes of oxygen developed (i mean, 10 volumes is "10 volumes of oxygen gas for each volume of H2O2 solution totally decomposed, measured at 0C temperature and 1Atm pressure" technical definition), i don't know why they choosed this, instead a more common 20C.

And for the "tube bombing" it was not used hydrogen peroxide, it was used TCAP (also called TATP, acetone peroxyde, C9H18O6), that is an explosive that can be made at home with a relative easyness (too much easy, imho, and on the net there are also too much "idiotic instructions" about how to make it, mainly in the wrong way :p), and that is one of the more unstable explosives that you can made ..... i don't suggest to play with it, it can explode also unconfined in quantities over just 2 grams, it can explode for friction, shock, sparks, flames, overheating, and when is very dry, also from a lightshock, like a flash of a photocamera (don't ask :p).