Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

GITD Paint at Home Depot

I was at HD today to get some paint. On my way back down the paint aisle, I saw the word "GLOW" out of the corner of my eye. Sure enough, it was a small tin of Rust-Oleum Glow In The Dark latex paint. I bought it and brought it home to quickly try out. It is water based (latex) so cleanup is easy with soapy water. Child safe and non-toxic when dry. It dries quicky, but for an even glow, several coats will be required. It is almost clear, just a slight yellow cast when dry. Naturally this paint is very sensitive to 405nm light. If you are near a Home Depot store, they might stock this paint.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 001 [640x480].JPG
    001 [640x480].JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 9,839

Dave, the paint was $10.00, the coverage is not listed on the can, or the little box the can was in. Two coats are recommended. It looks like enough to paint two coats onto a 5 sq. ft. non-absorbing surface. The can contents is 207ml.

I saw this post and i had to go buy some of this paint today. My can is a little bit different and it does say the coverage area is 25 square feet. I am not sure if they are counting the 2 coats of paint or not. Thanks for the good find bill i have been looking for some gitd paint locally for awhile now.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll pick up some next time I am in H/D. If the GITD lasts for a while this is a great price. The last batch I bought, at a craft store, only lasted 6 months or so. It also cost $5.99 for a 2 ounce tube.
I noticed that within 2 weeks, it did not seem as bright as it was when I first applied it, now it will hardly light-up at all. :yabbem:

I wonder if you could get this stuff to stick to aluminum. If so I wonder what a light coat would look like on a bare aluminum laser host or even an anodized green laser host.

oic0

I looked in to this stuff as a replacement for tritium for gun sights. Says its still glowing faintly after 12 hours and "Properly painted, the glow properties should last over 10 years with nominal degredation." . Its too expensive to really play with though.
"Ultra Green Glow Paint is the brightest glow paint sold anywhere. In its first seconds after charging, it is brighter than the popular Cyalume Glow Sticks. Ultra Green is 10 times brighter than the popular Zinc-based glow in the dark products available in most department stores. Technically, it will continue to glow for days. But us humans can see it for about 12 hours after a full charge. Each gallon contains two pounds of the brightest glow in the dark pigment available."
Ultra Green Glow in the Dark Paint -

I bought some of glowinc's V10 and blue powders. 1/4oz is a plastic heat-sealed baggie. Mix with clear nail polish, smear the paste where you want it.

It's a little hard to do with the V10, as the V10 is like sand. But 1/4oz is plenty to allow for some practice runs.

Not for a wall, though..... For like, little bits that you want to glow, like keys, flashlights, lasers, light switches...

Edit: be wary that the powder does break down in water. There is coated powder if you think it will be used in a water-based application.

Last edited:
I would LOVE to paint an entire room with a few coats of this.

If only i owned instead of rented.

oic0

If only i owned instead of rented.

If only I were single instead of married.

- theres always something stoppin the fun :(

HIMNL9

BTW, another "first-prize-win-for-idiotic-laws" from Italy ..... here, selling GITD or phosphorescent paints to privates is ILLEGAL by law :p

(still trying to discover why :p)

Bleah .....

BTW, another "first-prize-win-for-idiotic-laws" from Italy ..... here, selling GITD or phosphorescent paints to privates is ILLEGAL by law :p

(still trying to discover why :p)

Bleah .....

I'll guess it's probably back from when they used RADIUM in the paint so they glowed without any light exposure at all.

And a careful reading elsewhere might show the Zinc and Europium based paints are legal.

HIMNL9

I'll guess it's probably back from when they used RADIUM in the paint so they glowed without any light exposure at all.

And a careful reading elsewhere might show the Zinc and Europium based paints are legal.

Maybe, but all the sellers that i have asked, here, probably prefer just to not risk, instead to go and check new laws, cause all them have replied me that this type of paints are illegal and i cannot buy them ..... :mad:

Ah, well .....