Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Getting robbed by a fellow forum member!

Wmacky

To be fair, PayPal doesn't force you to use bank transfer. They default to bank transfer, but you can always switch to credit card per transaction manually. I do that hundreds of times a year because I never ever use bank funding through PayPal.

Second, your situation is a tough one for PayPal to protect against. On the other side of things, as a recipient of funds, I wouldn't want a buyer to be able to dispute a charge after the fact on the basis that they typed it in wrong. Non-delivery is one thing, but typos are a different story. Again, to PayPal's credit, you have to go through a few steps of confirmation before a payment is sent. You DO have a couple opportunities to double check the amount.

Finally, with payments by CC, you can, as far as I know, start direct chargebacks if PayPal doesn't help you. PayPal doesn't like that, but your CC issuer will typically help anyway.

I here what your saying but what if due to some typo you meant to pay $100, but the typo was $10,000.00 so your just out $10,000 due to a typo? You can't believe thats fair? If that really were to happen you still have no recourse through Paypal. A CC company would never allow this.

Encap

Use conventional normal banking---forget PayPal

If you sent an amount of money---how is anyone supposed to be able to determine that you didn't mean to do what you did? You could have canceled the payment transaction immediately if you didn't cancel it-----what do you expect PayPal to do?

You can take the guy to court if you can prove you over paid and he kept your money

Wmacky

Use conventional normal banking---forget PayPal

If you sent an amount of money---how is anyone supposed to be able to determine that you didn't mean to do what you did? You could have canceled the payment transaction immediately if you didn't cancel it-----what do you expect PayPal to do?

You can take the guy to court if you can prove you over paid and he kept your money

Well, I didn't notice the error till hours later. He had already drained the account. As to how to prove it? There a lot of documentation online as to the sale price, as well as email were he agrees it was a mistake that he would refund for.

I just can't believe some of you think A person should be out hundreds, or even possibly thousands due to a typo? Really? It was a simple mistake that 99% of sellers would have been glad to help rectify right away including me. I wouldn't penalize anyone for a typo. Unfortunately this seller is a part of the other 1 %.

I'm sure everyone here would be quite pissed off in my situation. I find it all outrageous!

Last edited:

Encap

Well, I didn't notice the error till hours later. He had already drained the account. As to how to prove it? There a lot of documentation online as to the sale price, as well as email were he agrees it was a mistake that he would refund for.

I just can't believe some of you think A person should be out hundreds, or even possibly thousands due to a typo? Really? It was a simple mistake that 99% of sellers would have been glad to help rectify right away including me. I wouldn't penalize anyone for a typo. Unfortunately this seller is a part of the other 1 %.

I'm sure everyone here would be quite pissed off in my situation. I find it all outrageous!

You are right of course ---if the guy was normal person he would have given the overpayment money back to you straight away.

You have to be very careful with any money transactions especially when you don't know the person you are giving money to and the transaction is not face to face----a lot of not so nice and/or desperate people are out there.

Sure anyone would be pissed at the guy for not returning the extra amount but you have to look at your error as contributory negligence also.

Other than small claims court all you can do is e-mail him again and hope he does the right thing.

There is also the issue of stress caused and time spent. You said you only had two hours of sleep, well time is money. There comes a point where you have to call it a day, eat the loss and turn back.

Wmacky

You are right of course ---if the guy was normal person he would have given the overpayment money back to you straight away.

You have to be very careful with any money transactions especially when you don't know the person you are giving money to and the transaction is not face to face----a lot of not so nice and/or desperate people are out there.

Sure anyone would be pissed at the guy for not returning the extra amount but you have to look at your error as contributory negligence also.

Other than small claims court all you can do is e-mail him again and hope he does the right thing.

I need to research small claims. I wonder how that works in regard 2 different states? It may be just $100, but I'd like to do what ever possible to make him regret this decision he has made.

Last edited:
Ditto what RHD said. Never pay with bank transfer, and if you are wanting full buyer protection you have to request an invoice from the seller. Don't just send payment willy nilly.

Rifter

I need to research small claims. I wonder how that works in regard 2 different states? It may be just $100, but I'd like to do what ever possible to make him regret this decision he has made.

How far away from you is he physically? you could always go get the money back in person. Its a lot harder to ignore someone when they are at your front door.

IsaacT

Soulero lives in South Dakota, Wmacky lives in Florida. So pretty far away. More than 100 dollars in gas atleast.

There is also the issue of stress caused and time spent. You said you only had two hours of sleep, well time is money. There comes a point where you have to call it a day, eat the loss and turn back.
I would agree, you certainly have invested a lot of time and anguish into this dispute. If you loose it you can't say you didn't try hard. It really is sad to hear.

Wmacky

Yep it's not looking too good for me. The latest promised payment date came and went with no communication. When I inquired I got this:

"Unfortunately I have bad news. I was involved in an accident on Saturday, my truck was totaled, and I had to get stitches for a cut on my face. However, I'm getting a second job to help me get a new vehicle, but your refund will come first. My father will be giving me rides to school and work, so a new vehicle can wait."

When I then asked what happens next, I got this rather gilb remark:

"I start working, I make $100, and I send it to you."

And now another couple weeks have past. Going on 2 months now. Anyone live near Brandon, South Dakota? I think he just needs some encouragement. I have a vacation comming up, and i'm considering a nice long bike ride to SD to see my little friend.

Last edited:

Encap

At least he admits he owes you the $100.

If you have his name,address and phone number---call him.

You can also do some background investigation work and maybe find a phone number for his father and speak with him and tell him what is and has been going on--ask him to have a talk with son about it and/or cover his debt to you.
Maybe talk with the local police in town where he lives and ask what can be done--maybe they can talk with him.

Sounds like the seller is a kid/student with issues.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Wmacky

That was exactly my next move. I just sent a final email. Next will be a call to dad. Lets hope he has better morals than his son.

Last edited:
I'd be miffed too, not so much over the amount if that small, but since you were taken advantage of. However, if it makes things better, I'll pay 20 bucks just to lighten your angst. PM me your paypal addy.

Y'know, if he were really out to scam you he'd have blocked your emails long ago after Paypal ruled in his favor. So maybe have some patience and keep in contact? It also helps if you can work out a way to get your money but allow some flexibility. After all, he could just filter your emails and be done with it.

In the end, come to terms with the idea that you may not see your $100 again. Check your inputs better next time.

Encap

Y'know, if he were really out to scam you he'd have blocked your emails long ago after Paypal ruled in his favor. So maybe have some patience and keep in contact? It also helps if you can work out a way to get your money but allow some flexibility. After all, he could just filter your emails and be done with it.

In the end, come to terms with the idea that you may not see your $100 again. Check your inputs better next time.

Good points Badger!

Maybe be flexible about getting back partial payments over time----something being better than nothing--maybe the guy really doesn't have the $100 to send. Maybe he is not of adult age and his parents are responsible and they would help out with part of it etc.