Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Get Some Safety Goggles Now!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey Pi, I think you are correct on your math.
I think a quality pair of OD 4 would be fine.

Last edited:

bobo99

I think your math is off by two zeros, someone correct me if I am wrong, doesn't OD 4 reduce the light to 1/10000th and OD 5 to 1/100000th, I am sure I read this somewhere. Or am I off by one zero?

Anyway OD 4+ is good enough for a 3.2W laser, at least for viewing the dot up close, but at 3.2W I wouldn't trust just any glasses to protect from a direct hit.

Alan

Something seemed off. I was using the equations from here:

Certified Laser Safety Glasses

Confused the 0.001% with actually reducing it by 1/10,000th when it fact,
OD5 reduced by a factor of 0.00001, 1/10,000, 0.001% or a 3.2W laser to 0.032mW or safe levels. It's one of those days.

The equation is:

I_out = I_in * 10^{-x}

where Iin is the input power, Iout is the output power, and x is the OD.

OD 4 --> 10^-4 = 0.0001. I_in = 1W --> I_out = 0.1mW

For green lasers, the OD of goggles such as ARG-type goggles may seem really high (OD7), but it makes it a lot easier to work with for aligning and stuff.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Try to refrain from necroposting. Not many like it unless you add something new to the discussion. I know you want to reach those 20 posts but try to focus on the latest topics if you can

Buert

Try to refrain from necroposting. Not many like it unless you add something new to the discussion. I know you want to reach those 20 posts but try to focus on the latest topics if you can
I didn't mean that but I just read first thread about the eye safety and posted my opinion.

safetygoggles

Hi, Safety eyeglasses are one of the finest protection against eye damages. So, shield your eyes from countless threats either you are indoor or outdoor. Besides, safety specs have a significant effect on long-term vision health. Consider your activities of each day that may lead to eye injuries. So, complete your kit of personal protective equipment with high-standard safety glasses. This is because they are the ultimate protection from any foreign debris.

Encap

Hi, Safety eyeglasses are one of the finest protection against eye damages. So, shield your eyes from countless threats either you are indoor or outdoor. Besides, safety specs have a significant effect on long-term vision health. Consider your activities of each day that may lead to eye injuries. So, complete your kit of personal protective equipment with high-standard safety glasses. This is because they are the ultimate protection from any foreign debris.
SPAM >>> moron trolling LPF with his pathetic meaningless phantom/ghost web site only business that nobody needs ---Reported.

Trolling LPF with unpaid for advertising of a commercial reselling business posts and promotion with a web site business with a link which resells safety glasses is a clear violation of LPF Terms of Use. by a drooling moron who repeatedly spams garbage .

LPF is about lasers and laser related--- In addition to being a violation of LPF Terms of USE this post has nothing about or to offer about lasers or laser related is just a business promotion garbage/nonsense post by idiot internet web site bandit/ghost trolling LPF members for money.

TROLLING LPF for $'s SPAM in Violation of LPF TERMS OF USE-----REPORTED

PS You make a retarded chimpanzee look like a genius and nobody needs anything on your garbage web site --everything on it is sold by hundreds of other reseller parasites and at lower/better prices as well so....

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
We get these spammers on a daily basis. I try my best to keep up by watching new members and reading reports. Thanks for the heads up