Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Gentec PS-310WB Thermopile

jib77

I just purchased this thermopile from ebay:

Gentec Laser Sensor Head Thermopile Model # PS-310WB - eBay (item 330447675278 end time Mar-14-11 12:02:45 PDT)

1260483644588_000_0007_04.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with this type of unit? I couldn't find any real documentation on it other than product specs. I need to know what the interface signals are, how to calitbrate etc.

Last edited:

Trevor

Re: Gentech PS-310WB Thermopile

Um. Kind of unrelated, but...

Did the seller give any indication of the condition of the surface of the sensor? It's hidden in all the photos...

-Trevor

jib77

I did not, although the description does state they tested it. Its a shot in the dark anyways. If its no good I plan to use the enclosure to build my own thermopile.

I would ask Lasersbee. He is probably the thermopile expert around here.

It looks like a nice sensitive head, If the sensor disk coating is burned you can try to recoat it, that will probably work. I'm testing that now with a few ophir thermopiles I have.

jib77

It looks like a nice sensitive head, If the sensor disk coating is burned you can try to recoat it, that will probably work. I'm testing that now with a few ophir thermopiles I have.

That's good to hear.

I emailed Gentech to see if they have an application manual. i should have an answer within 48hrs.

I would ask Lasersbee. He is probably the thermopile expert around here.

You do realize that laserbees don't use radial thermopiles right?

They use TECs, which are constructed very differently.

Last edited:

Just because our products use a Wafer Type Thermopile does
not mean we are noobs to Radial Thermopiles...

We have taken a few radial thermopile sensors apart for repair...
If you can gently open your Thermopile head you could trace the
wires going to the Radial Sensor.. There will be 2 wires coming
directly from the sensor and it may go into an ampilifer/calibration
circuit. From there there could be from 3 to 5 wires going to the
Connector. If there is circuit inside then there will be at least....
1-Ground wire
1-Power wire
1-Sensor Signal wire

or at the most

1- Ground wire
1- Power wire
1- Sensor Ground wire
1- Sensor Signal wire
1- Cable sheild Ground Wire

If you can get the drawings from the manufacturer... that
would be the best..

As was stated further above... make sure the Sensor's Active
Area is not badly damaged... Slight damage should still be OK.

Jerry

He likely says that (and do correct me if I'm wrong) because you often tote your painted TEC sensors as "wafer thermopiles". This implies the illusion that they are similar to radial thermopiles like Coherent and Ophir sensors we're used to seeing even though their construction is radically different.

Hopefully Jerry's information has helped the OP in regards to what he's looking for, all of it is correct from what I see here.

jib77

Last edited:

He likely says that (and do correct me if I'm wrong) because you often tote your painted TEC sensors as "wafer thermopiles". This implies the illusion that they are similar to radial thermopiles like Coherent and Ophir sensors we're used to seeing even though their construction is radically different.

Actually.... FYI... Scientech uses the same Waffer type "TEC" based Thermopiles.

Jerry

Trevor

From Scientech's website:

In a disc calorimeter, heat is typically measured by a thermopile, which is essentially a Peltier cooler used in reverse.

It's "essentially" the same because it's heat flow generating voltage. If Scientech bought run-of-the-mill TEC's to run backwards... the world of professional LPM's would have serious problems. :p

-Trevor

Last edited:

HIMNL9

Well, they are using more specific TECs, not the "12V 40W ebay model" ones :p ;)

I mean, their ones are TECs made on custom design, with a lot more junctions and with a reading plate that is a bit more efficent in spreading heat and more light than normal thermopiles, but yes, essentially they are still TECs ..... also, they place on the reading surface a calibrated heater, that you can power with a certain voltage for calibrate the assembly yourself, and you can't find this in commercial TECs.

@ HIMNL9...

For the LaserBee I and LaserBee II we have the 8mm X 8mm TECs
designed by a company to our specs...
The Scientech Thermopile we took apart about 3 years ago gave us
the idea to use a similar principle (TEC) when we designed the first
LaserBee....

Jerry

HIMNL9

@lasersbee: Yes, i don't have one of your units, but i can guess it's probably a custom 98-junctions unit .....

Sorry for the confusion, speaking about the heater on the reading surface i was referring to the Scientech units that twithe828 mentioned, not about the Laserbee ones :beer: