Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

general question on 445 lab lasers

Arayan

one thing that came to mind for some time...
Why there are so few "lab-lasers" at 445 nm? in my opinion, the diodes should be easier to drive and cool, when compared to handheld pointers...
...should be easier also to obtain powers near 2W and for more time..

I only know the module "real 1W" (800 mW) from O-Like... :thinking:

rhd

One of the challenges I've run into is finding affordable lab housings. I'm not sure it's as easy to find them as reasonably priced as portable hosts.

Arayan

Thanks for the links :)
BTW I was talking about affordable modules such as those from O-Like. I think that with the same diode a lab laser is expected to cost less than a pointer...

Although it is sometimes true that lab lasers cost less than their portable counterpart, remember that with lab lasers you pay for stability. Many lab lasers are TEC cooled. The TEC and the TEC driver add cost. Analog drivers for the laser diodes are also more complicated and expensive than the more simple drivers used in pointers.

rhd

If he's talking about something like a module, I think he was really getting more towards the hobby/diy as opposed to the pre-built market.

I share similar feelings. I wish it was easier to find DIY labby casings.

Shipping from Houston Texas- www.AixiZ.com sell both a TTL only and a analog/TTL 445 labby that is adjustable-comes set ~350mWs and is said too run fine at a higher setting w/0 fan or TEC- add your own for longer lifetime. Reasonable prices and warranteed as long as you dont get crazy turning it up. I have the TTL and its very nice and not very large. (small footprint) AixiZ ships world-wide. Great rep too.

tell em hak sent ya--

Last edited:

Arayan

If he's talking about something like a module, I think he was really getting more towards the hobby/diy as opposed to the pre-built market.

I share similar feelings. I wish it was easier to find DIY labby casings.

this summarizes well my idea :)
By the way thanks to all for useful links and suggestions :beer:

Here's two I found while shopping for my green laser. I don't see any reason why the stated outputs wouldn't be close to the claimed powers. Also these people use Dhl express. I got my laser in about 4 days.

meierlight
meierlight

jeffd

I think people just prefer having something portable and its cooler to have a one watt laser that can fit in your pocket as opposed to a lab style laser.