Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

GB: Australia Ultra-Capacitor *Collecting Money*

Fiddy

So here it is.....The monster :)
And yes those are 95mm2 copper cables!

boostcap5.jpg

boostcap4.jpg

Last edited:

Fiddy

Decided 95mm2 is way to big, it ways the system down and isn't flexible enough...

any whom, heres a nice video i made this evening :)

Last edited:

Fiddy

haha thought you'd like that :)

it blew chunks out of the speaker and caught on fire!

Id love to see what the 12 caps did together :p

LaZeRz

12 caps you say? I think we have another pyro here :D

Don't bother bringing the fireworks out, Fiddy has his caps :p

Last edited:

LaZeRz

Me neither! :D

I might take some high-speed pics when I get my new DSLR in :)

Me neither! :D

I might take some high-speed pics when I get my new DSLR in :)

Speaking of high-speed pics, did you see the new canon 1d x? 14fps 18Mpx jpegs or 12 fps raw! Its insane. Just a few more fps and you can take a video almost. (video being about 24fps)

Just thought I would let you guys know.... I was playing around with my bench power supply, patiently waiting for my caps to come in. Any way I found a pretty cool phenomenon.

Take about a 1cm piece of lead (graphite) from inside a pencil and put power through it. I dumped 5A through it and it slowly heated up to white hot. Next I dropped the current in my case down to ~4.5A @3V till it was not climbing in heat anymore and kinda stayed stable.

Left it here for maybe 30 seconds or so... then turned the PSU off. I noticed as it cooled down you could see an oxide layer form around the lead! How COOL!!

But wait... there's more!

I then began pumping 5A through the lead again and saw massive amounts of sparks flying off this lead (which was not hot at the time). I was like WTF? So I hooked the lead up to the negative terminal and manually moved the positive terminal over the oxide layer of the lead.... and BAMMM! Magnificent amounts of sparks and light!

Apparently the oxide layer reacts with aluminum when hot and basically vaproises!

Check out the carnage...

IMAG0775.jpg

IMAG0774.jpg

Fiddy

nice work!

how much current can your power supply flow 5 or 10A?
how thick are your leads on it? cause if you use those tiny alligator clip leads you will be dropping significant amounts of voltage and current across them when charging the caps!