Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Game: Guess the mystery object !

Not even close.
I'll give you a hint: they were made for IBM, and they were used to repair a once common office item.

Last edited:
Ok, I guess most people in here aren't old enough to have seen one of these. I found them a few years ago and it took me a while to figure out what they were.

IMG_20130223_185328 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

They are typebar pliers, which were used to straighten out typebars on pre-Selectric IBM typewriters. These pliers were necessary because the soft metal type could be damaged if anything else was used.

Anyone else have anything to post?

Last edited:
Sweet! I figured it'd have to be something before my time.

I'll throw this one up real quick. This has a very specific name:

Attachments

• DSC03304.JPG
    DSC03304.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 423
I might have made this one a bit too vague. I'm not sure what the original glass vile was used for, but it was heated up with a torch and warped as you can see in the pic to make a "torture tube". It's a type of lumia effect.

Ideally the effect is mounted to a slow moving hankscraft motor and the effect is very smooth. I put together this quick video, the tortube is mounted to a hankscraft motor but I'm just holding the motor with my hand so it's not as smooth, but you get the idea.

Torture tube lumia laser effect - YouTube

I wonder where you got that from.:whistle:

These are available from Displaser on PL. It's a great effect. Somewhere there's a video of me putting one of these in front of 2 or 3 watts from a Coherent ION at SELEM. I split the beam with a prism so that the red/yellow/green/blue beams were hitting the torture tube in different places, which looked awesome on the wall!

These are available from Displaser on PL. It's a great effect. Somewhere there's a video of me putting one of these in front of 2 or 3 watts from a Coherent ION at SELEM. I split the beam with a prism so that the red/yellow/green/blue beams were hitting the torture tube in different places, which looked awesome on the wall!

I got mine at SELEM.

Back