Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

funiest/stupidest thing youve done with your laser

Razako

Re: funiest/stupidest thing youve done with your l

mikeeey said:
its hard to tell if you really are joking or if you said that to back yourself up once everyone started yelling at you..

Although I thing I've wondered about shining lasers at planes. yes it can hit the plane, but how does it hit the top where the cock pit is? shouldn't it be hitting the bottom of the aircraft where they cant even see it?
It depends on whether the plane is way up in the sky or landing.

Well, it's the same with having a mobile phone on an aircraft. They used to be bad, but with all todays modern equipment they really can't do much (otherwise terrorists would just board a plane and secretly switch on their mobiles, lol).

But just to be sure, they tell you to switch them off.

Same with lasers and planes. Sure, the biggest threat is during landing, but why risk having the pilots blinded right up there in the sky? So it's just a blanket ban on pointing lasers at planes.

lol last year i was on the plane playing with my smartphone, then i decided to go into my phone's registry to do some tweaks and fixes. well my mom was sitting next to me, next thing she lets out a big gasp and somewhat loudly asks "what are you doing???" and i just simply reply "fixing some stuff on my phone....?" and she says "o... ok...well turn it off!"
she seriously thought i was going to hack into the plane or something, lol.
next time im on a plane im gonna use my GPS, since my phone has it now. what do they really think is gonna happen if you have GSM signals bouncing around in the plane?

mikeeey said:
lol last year i was on the plane playing with my smartphone, then i decided to go into my phone's registry to do some tweaks and fixes. well my mom was sitting next to me, next thing she lets out a big gasp and somewhat loudly asks "what are you doing???" and i just simply reply "fixing some stuff on my phone....?" and she says "o... ok...well turn it off!"
she seriously thought i was going to hack into the plane or something, lol.
next time im on a plane im gonna use my GPS, since my phone has it now. what do they really think is gonna happen if you have GSM signals bouncing around in the plane?

Well... the general consensus on cell phones and planes, is that we know its POSSIBLE for cell phones to react with the nav. equipment on a plane, but multiple independent studies have failed to produce these effects. I found this little gem online about cel phones and airplanes:

"First alarm was set when cell phones became widely spread and equipment errors became more often but still there were no direct evidences. Till 2000 some of the countries didn't joint to the ban against cell phones but an air crash of the flight number LX 498 Crossair (Saab 340) considerably changed the situation. It was not far from Zurich on the 10. of January 2000. Ten passengers and a whole crew perished in that air crash. For a long time the results of flight recorders decoding were not announced but at last it was a sensation. One of the reasons of the crash was an SMS message, which was received by one of the passengers, and a next cell phone conversation. Navigation monitoring devices showed wrong data at that moment, what led to a crash. Comments of independent experts were not comforting, they said that crew could improve the situation but it also made a mistake and crash was inevitable. Everybody agreed that an airplane fortune depended on crew actions and crew professionalism after electrical systems stopped working. Those countries which hadn't joint to the ban before, hurried on to do it. After that this air crash was forgotten. "

Will your cell phone interfere with the nav. instruments and cause the plane to crash? Probably not. You probably have a better chance of winning the lottery. But I always turn mine off just in case ;D

diachi

Ace82 said:
***DO NOT TRY THIS.  THIS IS ONLY DONE BY PROFESSIONALS WITH YEARS OF EXPERIANCE.***

Target practice on reflective street/highway signs miles away is always fun, even during the day!  

Put a piece of black electrical tape on your skin then burn it.  Now that burns!  

I could swear I already posted that .... Maybe on some other thread ....

I was doing that a while ago , its cool though, I was only using 30mW, I find the brightness hard to imagine with >100mW

Ace82 said:
Nice room.  ;D
l_fb0cf6bfabbd0542aff5df5a84e5403e.jpg
Thanks lol

wannaburn said:
[quote author=Ace82 link=1208072976/60#62 date=1215054548]Nice room.  ;D
l_fb0cf6bfabbd0542aff5df5a84e5403e.jpg

I dont think its your rep you should be worried about affecting sales :-?
You may want to trade the laser for a dust buster though...

[/quote]
Do you wanna trade?

diachi

I had a dust buster I took it apart :D

mikeeey said:
its hard to tell if you really are joking or if you said that to back yourself up once everyone started yelling at you..

Although I thing I've wondered about shining lasers at planes. yes it can hit the plane, but how does it hit the top where the cock pit is? shouldn't it be hitting the bottom of the aircraft where they cant even see it?
ok last night i went out and tried this. it was around 11pm at night. i looked around to make sure there were no Helicopters that would see the beam. so i started shining my laser at stars. There are no airports close to my house,and the closet is aroudn 50miles away.so The cruising altitude of a normal commercial jet airplane is around 12000 m (35000 ft) which is very high. i saw a plane get close to the beam so  i decided to shine at the plane. i tried so hard to hit the plane but it would not work. you could see the dot expanding very huge in the air. its not possible to tell from a standard light. heres a diagram i pulled up.
745px-Laser_pointer_safety_distances.gif

Direction relative to the aircraft and cockpit. A beam aimed directly at an incoming aircraft gives the greatest risk to pilots. One aimed across the aircraft's travel gives less risk, partially because the light enters through the side windows, and partially because it is harder to keep the beam aimed exactly at the cockpit area. A beam aimed straight up gives the least risk, although it is still possible for the beam to illuminate the cockpit during a banking turn.
in my case,i was trying to shine at a plane that was heading away,so it would of hit the back of the plane casuing nothign to be seen or happen.

Diachi said:
I was doing that a while ago , its cool though, I was only using 30mW, I find the brightness hard to imagine with >100mW

It's really really really bright.

I live within 1.5 miles of an Air Reserve base... There are ALWAYS planes taking off and landing.
One night I was outside playing with my X105 and I was highlighting some trees in the distance, then as soon as I move the beam above the tree I was pointing at, a plane taking off goes straight into the beam...
I couldn't see the plane coming because it was below the houses and buildings.
I just said "oh shit" and went inside my house.

I've never had any problems though, nobody has called the police... yet.

But a couple days ago, some kids were riding their mini dirt bikes in the field behind my house and I wanted to play with them... so I put a bright green spot on the wall right in front of them... they stopped and I heard them say "what was THAT???" They looked pretty confused and looked around for a while then went home...

OH! If you ever see a flock of birds flying, (this works best towards dusk so you can see the beam) let loose on em. They dive and swerve do barrel rolls to evade the laser it's AWESOME! ;D

diachi

;D Im going to give that a try when I go on holiday up north ;D

RA_pierce I'm gonna try that too, both the Flock of birds, AND the kids! ;D

Wesdaman14.. WHY???
that graph you showed us was based off a 5mW laser, so it diverges closer, but still, it's still hitting the airplane! I take it you are using more than a 5mW laser, stop shining at airplanes! It was people like you that got lasers banned in Australia!
They can still see the laser, it's just a matter if they are gonna call the cops on your location or not..

diachi

REALLY STOP SHINING IT AT PLANES, no matter what the distance is, or the angle, just dont do it, its plain stupid

EDIT : admire the hawtness of my post

Ace82

RA_pierce said:
OH! If you ever see a flock of birds flying, (this works best towards dusk so you can see the beam) let loose on em. They dive and swerve do barrel rolls to evade the laser it's AWESOME! ;D

Yeah, I've tried that! It's so funny because you can continue doing it again and again to the same flock! ;D

Wesdaman14 said:
Direction relative to the aircraft and cockpit. A beam aimed directly at an incoming aircraft gives the greatest risk to pilots. One aimed across the aircraft's travel gives less risk, partially because the light enters through the side windows, and partially because it is harder to keep the beam aimed exactly at the cockpit area. A beam aimed straight up gives the least risk, although it is still possible for the beam to illuminate the cockpit during a banking turn.
in my case,i was trying to shine at a plane that was heading away,so it would of hit the back of the plane casuing nothign to be seen or happen.

Now, for some reason, I think this is a forgery.  The grammar, thought, and vocabulary is WAY higher then what I've seen in Wes so far.  I believe this is not your words, probably a more intelligent friend helping your mischievous thoughts.  I don't believe a word you said, and I hope to God that you know better then to shine your lasers at aircrafts.  

Whether or not my accusations are correct, I feel as if you are abusing this forum, and –rep really doesn’t mean anything to people of your type. I may be wrong, but I think you should consider your purpose here at LPF, because it’s a privilege I’m beginning to question you deserve.