Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

funiest/stupidest thing youve done with your laser

Re: funiest/stupidest thing youve done with your l

Stupidest thing I've done : I've shone a laser at a millipede on the ceiling and it fell on my mothers sofa (and I didn't tell her thank god don't ask me why). Next thing : attempt on [highlight]lighting a match with a 5mW green [/highlight]with a lens and lots of rubber bands and I let it on for 15 minutes.
then I scared 4 year old kids with a 1mW red laser when I was 8.

JLSE

Ace82 said:
[quote author=RA_pierce link=1208072976/72#75 date=1215107675]

OH! If you ever see a flock of birds flying, (this works best towards dusk so you can see the beam) let loose on em. They dive and swerve do barrel rolls to evade the laser it's AWESOME!  ;D

Yeah, I've tried that!  It's so funny because you can continue doing it again and again to the same flock!  ;D

Wesdaman14 said:
Direction relative to the aircraft and cockpit. A beam aimed directly at an incoming aircraft gives the greatest risk to pilots. One aimed across the aircraft's travel gives less risk, partially because the light enters through the side windows, and partially because it is harder to keep the beam aimed exactly at the cockpit area. A beam aimed straight up gives the least risk, although it is still possible for the beam to illuminate the cockpit during a banking turn.
in my case,i was trying to shine at a plane that was heading away,so it would of hit the back of the plane casuing nothign to be seen or happen.

Now, for some reason, I think this is a forgery.  The grammar, thought, and vocabulary is WAY higher then what I've seen in Wes so far.  I believe this is not your words, probably a more intelligent friend helping your mischievous thoughts.  I don't believe a word you said, and I hope to God that you know better then to shine your lasers at aircrafts.  

Whether or not my accusations are correct, I feel as if you are abusing this forum, and –rep really doesn’t mean anything to people of your type.  I may be wrong, but I think you should consider your purpose here at LPF, because it’s a privilege I’m beginning to question you deserve. [/quote]

[edit] Situational factors
Day vs. night. Almost all concern is over nighttime illumination. The three visual effects listed above (distraction, glare and flash blindness) are minimized during the day since the eye is not dark adapted, and since visible lasers are not often used outdoors in daytime.
Motion and speed of the aircraft. A slow aircraft is at greater risk than a fast one (relative to travel across the viewer's line of sight). Helicopters are at greatest risk because they can hover, presenting a relatively stationary target.
Distance to the aircraft. A low-flying aircraft is at greater risk. Again, helicopters are vulnerable due to their close ground proximity.
Direction relative to the aircraft and cockpit. A beam aimed directly at an incoming aircraft gives the greatest risk to pilots. One aimed across the aircraft's travel gives less risk, partially because the light enters through the side windows, and partially because it is harder to keep the beam aimed exactly at the cockpit area. A beam aimed straight up gives the least risk, although it is still possible for the beam to illuminate the cockpit during a banking turn.

found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasers_and_aviation_safety I knew I saw that somewhere before :-?

diachi

;D Good one Wannaburn ;D Hope he really didnt shine his laser at a plane though

i did not type that lol. i copied from Wikipedia.
my laser is a ebay 50mw,which i doubt is putting more than 20mw out. the lens is really messed up. and i dont shine at it when it close. from my house the planes fly west,i shine it when you can hardly see the plane anymore,i mean really far away. ill take a pic tonight to show u how far away it is. and its not dangerous,cause i dont shine at the aircraft,i shine it close but, not close enough to hit the plane. im just proving to myself that i cant hit it. im trying to teach me and my friends a lesson that a laser wont do harm to a plane.also liek i said the nearest airport is around 50mile away. so when the plane is that high,the pilots just sit there fat ass's and use auto pilot. im not trying to get lasers banned. i love lasers and i use them for everything i do. Please i dont know better,im still learning alot about lasers since i just started in march. and also the lasers divergence is too big,to be able to do harm. its only dangerous when a plane is during critical times like landing or about to start flight. the hazards are greatly reduced,since the plane is going 350km an hour. not only is the airplane moving, but the laser is hard to aim either by hand-holding or even by tracking with a tripod. The result is that the beam flashes near the plane, rather than remaining steady. This reduces the actual power of the beam (it is spread out over a larger area).

lol, dude, already -1 rep AGAIN?

diachi

;D Shouldnt make posts about why shining lasers at planes is ok, and how it wont do any damage

JLSE

Dude, your tracking aircraft? Weather or not the beam is on, or near, your still tracking it. If you wish to try similar activities. get a telescope and play with the clouds, NOT PLANES.

diachi

Oohh , does he want his rep to be bad, honestly ;D

nope i just get board shining the laser at night in the sky,cause the area im at is mostly woods,and there's nothing to point at. ill try the cloud tracking tonight tho,thanks

Wesdaman14 if you try to explain to your friends shining lasers at planes are ok, then they will do it for themselves.
no matter how you look at it, shining them at planes are NOT OK. you can argue tho that with a weak laser with a horrible divergence it's harder to hit the plane, but you cant argue that it's OK.

well thats what they have is weak lasers. they got the ebay 5mw green for like 20$.
my lasers is at least 8x stronger than there's as it will pop a balloon in 4 secs with new batts. but i thought a 30mw would pop it instantly. anybody have a ide of what the power would be. i can pop a balloon up to 4ft,then it stops. at 4 feet,it take around 10secs

tomcat

i shined it a helicopter

my mates remote control one
3 cheers for epic flamebaiting

diachi

Was getting worried there for a moment, I bet it crashed to the ground with a firy explosion killing all the circuits on board, what with you and your laser terrorism :D

tomcat said:
i shined it a helicopter

my mates remote control one
3 cheers for epic flamebaiting
hahah" my mates remote control one
3 cheers for epic flamebaiting"

tomcat

well i will put my TEA laser back together how does ~500mw of 337nm sound for shooting at aircraft / people / animals :p
and i did not get immediately flamed.. this place has changed a bit (for the better)

Switch

tomcat said:
well i will put my TEA laser back together how does ~500mw of 337nm sound for shooting at aircraft / people / animals :p
and i did not get immediately flamed.. this place has changed a bit (for the better)
Not to bad actually assuming it only works in really short pulses, or in the best case scenario really slow pulse rate.It will probably do nothing to planes since it's invisible, though shining at people or animal directly might cause cancer ::)