Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

>FS: Very Rare +70mW Opto RPL Blue 473nm handheld<

So the problem is many. The batteries needed a charging, the laser is only high powered for the first few duty cycles and then needs to be shut off for a while or it drops down to 35mW, I don't know about my IR filter. It does sting the skin when fresh but not to the point where I have to pull away. It does pop balloons but matches are a no go. Maybe I overreacted, I don't know. I might have Jack test it out.
Imageshack - p7180005 - Uploaded by Yobresal

Man, Luke - that's a drag ... I'd definitely see if Jack would be willing to take a peek at the laser for you, even with the transfer of ownership and all if the laser has troubles, you would think a well-respected businessman would go the extra mile to help you out.

Now, quit playing with my projector and get to the post office, dammit! :)

(Just Kidding)

can anyone else pop a balloon with their blue laser like in the above video??

mine only peaks at 50 but i just popped a balloon a second ago with help of a magnifying glass lol also checked power reading 43 mw to my meter then 41 with an additional i/r filter

So at 43mW you can pop a balloon but only with the help of a magnifying glass? Did you sharpie it?

EDIT*** this post may have came a little late... my browser only loaded half the posts for some reason... w/e i thought i was replying to yorb's FIRST unhappy post. sry

Take into consideration the optics/crystals or WHATEVER they use to produse 473nm light may be effecting its "burning" ability... hence why it doesnt sting. i have 3 different 100mW PHR builds... and one of them MEASURES 97mW's average... but does NOT sting the skin. only if i put a 405-G1 lens on it...

But the other two burn just fine! stings my skin and all.

I just wanted to point that out... I dont know TOO much about IR filters... but maybe the filter you have is a low efficiency filter... meaning it is NOT suitable for 473nm light... but i could be wrong. i am not claiming this to be a fact. just supplying some food for thought.

REGUARDLESS 850 bucks is the friggin STEAL OF ALL STEALS!!! it IS outputing the advertised power... so i guess i dont understand what the issue is...? your upset that the power drops when you place a seperate IR filter in front of the beam??

Enlighten me please, i want to understand. i am quite sure the fellow who sold it to you had no intentions of pulling a fast one on you. So what EXACTLY are you upset about?

Dark

I am not really upset about anything anymore. I haven't really used this laser too much but the other night I got a fair but of use out of it and when I was comparing it to my 100mW blue laser it didn't measure up so I tested it on my meter. I think the biggest problem was that this laser does not output the high power after a couple of duty cycles. Only the first duty cycle will it keep the high output and then after warm up it is pretty much just like any other 35-40mW blue laser. This is how I have come to understand this laser. If either Jack or Dark can verify this as they both have enjoyed the same laser that would be great. Also I am not sure what is going on with the filter I am using because it cuts my measurements of this laser in 1/2. I do not know if something is wrong with my filter/my laser/or my meter so I just going to drop the issue of this lasers actual power. I like it just the way it is. I probably won't keep it that long anyway. Blue is a cool color but IMHO if you want a nice blue get a lab module or a projector. They are stable, they maintain high output and you get a lot more bang for your buck. I would rather have another 400-500mW green than this blue (trade anyone?)

Just so you guys can see what started this and not think that I am a crazy loose canon off his rocker who doesn't know how to charge his batteries. Here is the comparison i was referring to with my 100mW projector that is measuring at 100mW VS this laser. As you can see after the first duty cycle this laser barely compares when shined next to it.

with the rpl handheld it's very heat sensitive ,let it cool a few hours then at say 75-77 degrees inside recheck it. The portability downfall on the handheld units are short duty cycles ..

My Viasho does a little different, I turn it on and it's at about 6-9 mW. after ~ 1 to ~4 min. on, it has ramped up to 25+ mW and in 15 min or so, I turn it off as it's getting warmer than I think is good, but is all the while doing 24 - 29 mW so, mine likes to be warm! -Glenn

yea mine goes straight to 40 ,then over 50 immediately then for two minutes stays around 30. Then after three to 5 minutes will drop to 25 mw after that its too hot to run,
a shame because it so pretty to me ,I always lose track of time lol

I have the iphone John so I will not be able to receive a multimedia text. This is true for mine that it must be cool. For the first minute (first cycle) it is nice and good power. Pops balloons stings skin appears bright but after that minute is up the laser diminishes in power way way way way down to the spot that you can see in the comparison photos.

here is a comparison with the blue laser at first cycle first 10 seconds of on time. This is full power. Note that the 100mW laser is being modulated and shot off of 2 mirrors. That is why it has more of a glow around it. I think that after changing hands a couple of time this laser is just tired of putting out the higher outputs and will only do so for short periods of time.