Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Star Trek Phaser 'Hot' Option! Or, Individual Parts...

jayrob

Re: FS: Star Trek Phaser Parts! 'Hot' Option Available! Or, Individual Parts...

lankform, I sent your 'Hot' option Phaser kit with copper heatsink, 405-G-1, EzFocus adapter, and other items today. (Thursday)

Hope you like the kit!

Mark64

The phaser is great! It works as advertised.

I have an Art Asylum phaser that has a detachable type one phaser. Would you be interested in doing a mod to make the type one (upper unit) shoot a red beam (something like Chuck built on another blog here) and have the lower pistol section fire a blue beam (445nm) when the type one is attached? I am upgrading the Art Asylum with metal parts and would have those on before I sent it to you. This will be put on display in a lockable glass case to sit next to my Master Replica USS Enterprise Studio Replica. I hope you are interested!

Mark

I noticed you are into music as well...I am also... www.emmsly.com

Last edited:

jayrob

I tried one of the Art Asylum phasers before and did not like it because there is very limited room for a decent heatsink...

Not good room for a decent battery supply either...

Mark64

OK. I plan to tackle it anyway. Which part did you find to not have enough room? You do good work and that is why I asked you. Did you get far enough to figure out how to wire it up?

Last edited:

jayrob

The tiny removable hand phaser only has 3 X LR44 button cells. That is what powers the sound and lighting effects.

The one I modified for a friend, I just disabled the power to the lighting, and still let the small phaser power the sound.

But I put a momentary button on the trigger that would get depressed at the same time as the lever that activated the sound part.

My momentary switch would activate a green module that I fit inside. It runs off of a single, 10440 battery that fit into the modified handle.

It was a lot of work for a green phaser that has such a small battery supply. And no room for a heatsink for the green module either...

Mark64

What about the lower half of the phaser? Do you think a blue laser would work well in there? I think what I would like to try is to mod the upper phaser like Chuck did but with a red laser and do the lower half with your mod if you think it would work. I think that might work...your thoughts...

jayrob

I think it's a cool idea but there is limited room for batteries and heatsinks...

jayrob

MikeO, I sent your 'Hot' option Phaser kit with copper module, EzFocus adapter, AixiZ module and 405-G-1 lens today. (Monday)

Set at 350mA's per your request...

Hope your 12X build goes well!

Mark64

Jay,

As I mentioned before I'm trying to set up an Art Asylum phaser P2 (lower part) with a 445 nm laser with driver. After taking it apart I can see you are right about limited space. I think I might have a solution for the heatsink issues if an aluminum emitter nozzle assembly I have found will work as an acceptable heatsink. The center is a long tube straight through the nozzel.

This might work but I would like your thoughts on using aluminum as a heatsink. Also, for a seperate battery what do you think about using a single 3v lithum camera battery to suppy your 445nm driver and diode? I would place that in the handle and make the bottom removable. Your thoughts...

Mark

Attachments

• Nozzel for Art Asylum Phaser.jpg
    Nozzel for Art Asylum Phaser.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,078

jayrob

If you can fit a 14500 Li-Ion, it would be better...

I was able to fit a 10440 battery in the handle of the one that I made for a friend. But even that was a tight fit. So I don't know if a 14500 will fit. If you use a 10440, it will work good at about 600mA's max (IMO) using a v5 FlexDrive for your 445 diolde... But you will need a decent heatsink. Aluminum if fine...

But the sound effects are in the small detachable hand phaser. They operate off of 3 X LR44 button cells.

It's really not a good model to try to modify.

Hope it works out for you, but in my opinion, it's not worth the effort.

Not to sound so negative. But you keep asking me, and I have tried that one. I personally don't like it. Not good room for a good heatsink, not good room for a decent battery supply. Not a good trigger mechanism. Plus a separate sound system that uses only button cell batteries.

Take a close look at my Phaser tutorial in the thread linked below, and you will see why I chose this model to modify. Good room for a decent heatsink, good batery supply, good sound set up...
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/tutorial-12x-star-trek-phaser-mod-46886.html

Last edited:

jayrob

taikon, I am sending your Phaser, EzFocus adapter, and Copper heatsink today. (Wednesday)

Hope you like it!

jayrob

KE4VYN, I'm sending your Phaser 'Hot' option kit to the specified address today. (Friday)

Hope you like it!

mizerak, same goes for your Green Phaser heatsink...

Thanks!

jayrob

ksfaelos, I sent your 'Hot' option Phaser kit to the specified shipping location today. (Monday)

Hope you like it!

What do you think of this? Jw. Who was first? Kipkay Link

jayrob

Yes he put a weak PS3 diode in one long before I did this modification.

But you can't honestly compare that with my build...

His has the sound disabled, and no heatsink. (of course at only about 15mW's, he probably doesn't need a heatsink)

Also, no way to focus. You should take a close at my tutorial thread to see all of the modifications that I did in order to fit a good size heatsink, keep the sound, and the trickiest part... make it focusable!
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/tutorial-12x-star-trek-phaser-mod-46886.html

No comparison!

daguin

What do you think of this? Jw. Who was first? Kipkay Link

I don't think that "first" is nearly as important as "best." ;)

Kipkay's and Jayrob's phasers are not even in the same class :na:

Comparing these two would be useless

The only similarities between them are that they both use the phaser body and they both have a laser diode in them. Beyond that, the KipKay is a Yugo and the Jayrob is a Murcielago.

Peace,
dave