Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Stainless Steel RL-118 Kit!

jayrob

I made a press fit heatsink for the Stainless Steel RL-118 host for DTR, and he did a tutorial of the build shown here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/compact-1-5w-stainless-steel-rl-118-a-61613.html

The kit, will be available with a normal heatsink fit for AixiZ, or a press fit design as well...

For a 445 build, you can get your diode pre-installed into an AixiZ module with lead wires soldered on from daguin or DTR.

In that case, you will just connect your diode leads, to my driver leads... ('Hot' option kit)

It's a great stainless steel host... It's a tad expensive, but as you can see by the pictures, it's a really nice quality host in stainless steel finish. The tail button is also stainless steel! :cool:

It has a nice spot for gluing a V5 FlexDrive to the top of the pill with thermal adhesive as shown in DTR's tutorial thread linked above. :rolleyes:

It uses an RCR123 battery...

If you will be building a high current build, then you may want to use an AW IMR16340 for handling the high current draw:
AW IMR16340 550 mAh IMR CR123 size LiMN Rechargeable Lithium Battery

But you must be careful about over-discharging the battery. It's not good to let it get below about 3 volts...

Here are some pictures of the host... (using DTR's pictures) Thanks DTR! :)

RL-118%201.jpg

RL-118%202.jpg

RL-118%205.jpg

'Hot' option:

RL-118%206.jpg

If you go for a high current build with the driver thermal glued to the top of the pill like DTR did, you will have a very tight build.

You will need to remove the pink triangle on your 445 diode (if building a 445), and clip the pins short, and then bend the wires over 90 degrees. (with heat shrink tubing of course) Bend wires, not pins...

You can also mount the FlexDrive thermal glued, upside down on the inside of the pill. That gives plenty of room for the diode pins!

Otherwise, let me know when ordering if you would rather have the top of the pill drilled out, and mount the driver inside the pill. There will be good room for the pins in that case... (for lower current builds like 12X's)

Fitting the heatsink length, is a very close tolerance. Because the head of the host screws down to hold the heatsink tight, and if it's just a hair too long, there will be a noticeable gap between the head and the host. And if it's just a hair too short, it will be loose.

So for that reason, I need the host 'in hand', and cannot make just the heatsink, without the host...

Kit pricing: (the host is very nice, but is an expensive host)

Without the 'Hot' option, you will be removing the stock driver components, and installing your driver...

* Stainless Steel RL-118 basic kit with aluminum heatsink fit for AixiZ - $59 (specify if you want the pill drilled out or not)
* Copper heatsink upgrade - $8
* Press fit heatsink design option - $7
* V5 FlexDrive 'Hot' option - $48
* Knurled EzFocus adapter - $20
* AixiZ 445 glass lens - $11
* 405-G-1 glass lens assembly - $55
* 650-G-1 glass lens assembly - $52
* Shipping (based on PayPal fees plus postage - send PM for total)
* Shipping policy:
Shipping Policy

Hope you like it! :)

Last edited:

:bumpit::bumpit:
freaking awesome host!!
cant buy any right now though :/ :drool::drool::drool:

DTR

Nice Jay. With the amount of requests I have seen for these since I did the review on it I am sure you will be sold out as quick as you can get them. It really is the best quality pocket host I have seen. And that stainless steel click is just takes it over the top.:cool:

jayrob

Yes you found a great host with this one man! :cool:

And it's perfect for thermal gluing a V5 FlexDrive to the top of the heatsink as you showed in your tutorial of the build... :gj:

jayrob

I just fit the heatsink, and also offer a 'Hot' option. Which means - driver included, installed, current set...

Proper eye protection needed:
http://oemlasersystems.com/product-...tion/uv-visible/arg-uv-blu-ray-argon-blue-ktp

You can get diodes at modwerx.com, hightechdealz.com, stonetek.org

And there are a few selling 445 diodes on the forum. daguin, DTR to name a couple.

Send me a private message for ordering a kit! :)

Last edited:

DTR

Hey Jay did you have an ETA on these?:evil:

I looked at stonetek.org and found a 2watt 445 nm blue laser diode so if I but the diode and every thing you selling on this page it should work.

If you go with Jay's hot kit you will still need a diode, module, battery and lens.:beer: Shot you a PM.:beer:

Last edited:
I looked at stonetek.org and found a 2watt 445 nm blue laser diode so if I but the diode and every thing you selling on this page it should work.

but with one cr123a you cant get 2W.. (rare)
DTR got 1.5W with a GOOD cr123a battery
and thats probably the max mA/power you can go with..
to be safe

DTR

but with one cr123a you cant get 2W.. (rare)
DTR got 1.5W with a GOOD cr123a battery
and thats probably the max mA/power you can go with..
to be safe

Everyone is now calling them 2W because of a handfull that have reached this level but nobody can guarantee they will all hit 2W. So pretty much no matter where you look they will all be the same diodes unless somebody still has some of the disconinued 130 projectors laying around or a refurbed 130/140 units that are now availabe which I would stay away from. I do know there are diodes being sold around from referbed units so be carefull of super deals.:whistle:

This unit only hit 1.5W because the driver limited it. But if I did find a driver that could take it higher the duty cycle would be shortned greatly.:beer:

Last edited:

jayrob

Hey Jay did you have an ETA on these?:evil:

If you go with Jay's hot kit you will still need a diode, module, battery and lens.:beer: Shot you a PM.:beer:

I ordered some on 4/12, and it usually takes 3 weeks from DX... (that's if they are actually in stock)

So just hoping for the best, it will be early May...

jayrob

Yes that diode will work...

I would recommend maybe setting the current to about 800mA's. (for 45 minutes or so between charges)

If you get a 'Hot' option kit, then the only other thing you need, is the battery. And just some soldering skills... (PM for ordering the kit)

jayrob

In case anybody is looking for this kit, I got 5 of the Stainless Steel RL-118 hosts delivered today...

3 are spoken for, 2 are available at the moment. The kit pricing on these 5, is $5 dollars higher than shown in the first post. (had to pay extra to get these - DHL shipping, etc...)

Last edited:
Got mine today and installed the 445 module from DTR. What a little beauty! Got mine as a "Hot Kit" with V5 flexdrive set at 700mW. Don't have a meter, but Jayrob tells me that this is running at around 600mW output. I also got the EzFocus adapter which adds a nice look and is very convenient! Here are some preliminary pics from my iPhone. Enjoy! Many thanks to the great craftsmanship of Jayrob and great price and shipping of the diode/module combo from DTR.

i-5r8KmfC-M.jpg

i-25Zx7fG-M.jpg

i-fVHtZLR-M.jpg

Last edited:

DTR

Great looking build.;)

I do really like that host. They really are very high quality hosts. Thread tolerances are exceptional, it feels solid and the stainless steel clicky just tops it off.:eg:

The entire RL line seem to be very well made. My Frankenstein build was from the RL family. The 118 is not the cheapest compact host but they have great value for the price.:beer:

Last edited:

jayrob

Yes I agree, it's a rock solid little host... Nice find!

FiveForm, good job on the build! Thanks for posting with pictures... :)

P.S. I ended up getting another 10 of these hosts.

I probably have about 7 left at the moment...

Last edited:
JayRob got my host It is awesome. Thank you so much for your craftsmanship and timely build. I just waiting on my battery now. It torture not being able to fire up this little beast. Thanks again man great job!