Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: [SOLD] Dragon Lasers 589 nm, 50 mW Spartan hand-held

Roberto, did you ever reseat the collimating lens on it? I might be interested in picking this up 🍻

rvrh3

Roberto, did you ever reseat the collimating lens on it? I might be interested in picking this up 🍻

I did not. I didn't want to screw it up and decided that it was good enough as it was, so I left it alone. Let me know !

I see. That collimating lens does look fairly off-center - do you see any artifacts around the dot? If nothing else, that probably explains why the dot is oval instead of circular...

Can you take some shots of the dot, preferably at varying distances? I would like to see how this laser diverges, especially since there seems to be a focal point a few feet out in front of the laser?

cmak

Seems to be sold (not to me). Gonna set my frustration aside and begin work on the “WTB ≥85mW 589nm portables” post I keep planning to compose. Man, what I’d give to go back to the CNI group buy days for a way-overspec PGL-III-C-80 (I SO SHOULD HAVE PULLED THAT TRIGGER) but hopefully I can get a couple perfectly functional/collimated units here. Assuming ≥85mW may cost three figures if I’m lucky, but a ≥130mW gem would certainly cost four (if anyone would even part with it). Those are the two output ranges I’m seeking… advice would be greatly appreciated (only six DL Spartans left in stock, btw). *tries not to cry*

Seems to be sold (not to me). Gonna set my frustration aside and begin work on the “WTB ≥85mW 589nm portables” post I keep planning to compose. Man, what I’d give to go back to the CNI group buy days for a way-overspec PGL-III-C-80 (I SO SHOULD HAVE PULLED THAT TRIGGER) but hopefully I can get a couple perfectly functional/collimated units here. Assuming ≥85mW may cost three figures if I’m lucky, but a ≥130mW gem would certainly cost four (if anyone would even part with it). Those are the two output ranges I’m seeking… advice would be greatly appreciated (only six DL Spartans left in stock, btw). *tries not to cry*

I think your best bet is one of the remaining 589 Spartans from DL. Many people have gotten lucky with their 50mW models and got easily above the 85mW’s you are searching for. Maybe you can contact DL and ask them to handpick a unit that matches what you seek? :)

-Alex

cmak

I think your best bet is one of the remaining 589 Spartans from DL. Many people have gotten lucky with their 50mW models and got easily above the 85mW’s you are searching for. Maybe you can contact DL and ask them to handpick a unit that matches what you seek? :)

-Alex
Thank you, and thank you Encap!!! You made the friggin heck out of my day with that immediate, EXCEPTIONAL advice.

I’d already contacted DL, where I’d purchased my first high-powered laser ever—an overspec 532nm 95mW CNI-GLP “Viper” exactly eleven years ago, after turning fourteen. After a couple emails with Adam specifically about handpicking (as a courtesy for having been a very longtime customer and having made countless word-of-mouth referrals):

”Thank you for being our long term customer. I can confirm that if you place an order of the 589nm 50mW Spartan laser I will have it tested again before shipping.

Be sure that the average output power is higher than 50mW.

589nm lasers are highly sensitive to working temperatures so the power stability is not very good.

That is why I can’t guarantee you the power meet 70mW or 80mW

There is no additional cost in need.”

In a previous email, he’d already clarified that he’d gladly test the unit to ensure ≥50mW output, so I’m unsure if maybe he’s beating around the bush? Maybe I should just ask to pick the best out of four/five instead of focusing on numbers (especially such high ones)? I’d already offered to pay whatever the price. Perhaps my manner of speech is hindering my communication?

Group buy, anyone…? Oh and I had NO idea there were labbies THAT strong for THAT cheap. DEFINITELY something to consider and keep a close eye on. THANK YOU GUYS!!!! :love:

Edit: the $1699 eBay labbie is 200mW and the 500mW is $3399 but I’m glad to know these even exist. How long would you speculate these may be around for? A year? Five? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thank you, and thank you Encap!!! You made the friggin heck out of my day with that immediate, EXCEPTIONAL advice.

I’d already contacted DL, where I’d purchased my first high-powered laser ever—an overspec 532nm 95mW CNI-GLP “Viper” exactly eleven years ago, after turning fourteen. After a couple emails with Adam specifically about handpicking (as a courtesy for having been a very longtime customer and having made countless word-of-mouth referrals):

”Thank you for being our long term customer. I can confirm that if you place an order of the 589nm 50mW Spartan laser I will have it tested again before shipping.

Be sure that the average output power is higher than 50mW.

589nm lasers are highly sensitive to working temperatures so the power stability is not very good.

That is why I can’t guarantee you the power meet 70mW or 80mW

There is no additional cost in need.”

In a previous email, he’d already clarified that he’d gladly test the unit to ensure ≥50mW output, so I’m unsure if maybe he’s beating around the bush? Maybe I should just ask to pick the best out of four/five instead of focusing on numbers (especially such high ones)? I’d already offered to pay whatever the price. Perhaps my manner of speech is hindering my communication?

Group buy, anyone…? Oh and I had NO idea there were labbies THAT strong for THAT cheap. DEFINITELY something to consider and keep a close eye on. THANK YOU GUYS!!!! :love:

Edit: the $1699 eBay labbie is 200mW and the 500mW is $3399 but I’m glad to know these even exist. How long would you speculate these may be around for? A year? Five? Thanks again.

Hm... maybe asking to pick out the best unit of the remaining stock is a better option though. If he is willing to test the power make sure to ask for average output, and not simply peak output. It is a shame at least in this regard that LG stopped selling their higher powered handheld 589’s. It may have cost you an arm and a leg, but at least you were sure to receive a stable laser. :)

-Alex

Encap

Oops you are right--corrected my post to 200mW.

Those Viasho units are good quality and very reasonable price wise.
The world is a bigger place than CNI. Viasho is a real deal manufacturer in China not just a reseller---they make Optotronics USA's 1400mW most powerful 532nm hand held on special order for Opto. see: https://www.optotronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=Opto1400-Portable

See the Viasho web site----they make 589nm units from 1mW to 1000mW in one series and 1100mw to 4500mW in another series: http://en.viasho.com/ and http://en.viasho.com/ProductsStd_209.html and http://en.viasho.com/ProductsStd_210.html

If you ask them they might even make a hand held 589nm for you of as high an output as they can fit into their host as in their 532nm and other wavelength units see: http://en.viasho.com/ProductsStd_208.html
Is worth emailing Frank to see if he will can/will consider to make a high output 589nm hand held for you. Viasho says " Committed to the laser industry authority, design professional laser products customized for you! "

If Viasho can come up with a good price for an excellent 589nm hand held on a multi piece order rather than just a 1 piece custom order basis who knows perhaps a number of LPF members would scarf enough up to make such an production order and lower price viable for Viasho?
Contact info as follows:
Tel:86-010-80703749
Mobile: 86-13601113568
Sales Manager: Frank Wang
Email:Sales@viasho.com

CNI makes some 589nm lab units that are not better than the Viasho units and through a CNI distributor they retail for 100mW $5600 and 200mW $6500 see: https://www.ultralasers.com/lasers-series.php?cat=35
Even through Dragon Lasers, a domestic China CNI dealer/reseller offering CNI lab units, 589nm units are 100mW $3600 and 200mW $4500 respectively.

Last edited:

I am toying with listing my DL Spartan for sale to fund some of my other hobbies, I really don't want to but I also have hardly taken it out of its box in damn near 3 years and it's a sin for it to be sat there while someone else could be enjoying it.

if you are interested (it's the same type as this, the PGL-III-M which are "50mW" but previous owner actually metered it closer to 80 - though I don't have an LPM to verify) let me know - I still need a bit of a nudge to list it and finally let it go but I am probably willing to. The only thing I am worried about is customs finding it and destroying it!

*edited to correct PGL-III-C to PGL-III-M!

I am toying with listing my DL Spartan for sale to fund some of my other hobbies, I really don't want to but I also have hardly taken it out of its box in damn near 3 years and it's a sin for it to be sat there while someone else could be enjoying it.

if you are interested (it's the same type as this, the PGL-III-M which are "50mW" but previous owner actually metered it closer to 80 - though I don't have an LPM to verify) let me know - I still need a bit of a nudge to list it and finally let it go but I am probably willing to. The only thing I am worried about is customs finding it and destroying it!

*edited to correct PGL-III-C to PGL-III-M!

Good to see you post! :)

I think it has a pretty solid chance of making it through customs, as long as it’s labeled as a flashlight or something of the sort.

-Alex