Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: "Mosquito" Version 2 - All In One 1.2W+ 445nm Modules - 1667 mA

rhd

Re: FS: "Mosquito" All-In-One 445nm Modules - 1,760 mA - Ready to DIY with!

Updated with a better beam shot / comparison with an American quarter.

Tonga

Beautiful work again man:)!

Nice RHD! I'll probably pick up 1 or 2 from you next week.

Any plans to offer the driver solo? How about different current options, or better yet the addition of a pot and maybe a couple of bridgable resistor options?

You know, for us guys who ain't great with micso soldering, or figuring out which resistors to swap out and what values to use. :lol:

Very nice set up, if I ever begin receiving a regular paycheck again, you can count me in for one! ;)

rhd

Hmm. So these do *not* fit inside an Aixiz module? Lamesauce. Nonetheless, I like the drop-in aspect of it....

But the question is - wouldn't the long aspect of it (Aixiz module + driver length) that makes it a bit long? Would there be a way to compact it? You know, make it shorter but make it wider at the base, or something? Just a thought.

Actually, some cool news here. With the tiniest bit of sanding with a nail file (the kind you'd grab at a drug store), you can sand the edges of the IC for 30 seconds or so, and the whole module will fit inside a heatsink!

attachment.php

Those are awesome.

Just two questions: 1. Have you tested the drivers with 2x 10440? That current draw would be 3C discharge, I'd be afraid they would explode! 2. Couldn't you just file the driver down a bit on the sides and it would fit in a 12mm heatsink?

1) I've run lithium ions at 3C before. Though I'd probably suggest the IMR 10440 cells for that.
2) Yep! I didn't see your post when I tried exactly that, but yep, works great!

Nice RHD! I'll probably pick up 1 or 2 from you next week.

Any plans to offer the driver solo? How about different current options, or better yet the addition of a pot and maybe a couple of bridgable resistor options?

You know, for us guys who ain't great with micso soldering, or figuring out which resistors to swap out and what values to use. :lol:

Sounds good :)

Attachments

• 2011-08-07 16.20.48.jpg
    2011-08-07 16.20.48.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 3,739

benmwv

1) I've run lithium ions at 3C before. Though I'd probably suggest the IMR 10440 cells for that.
2) Yep! I didn't see your post when I tried exactly that, but yep, works great!

Ok, I didn't know you could go that high I'm maybe a little too careful with mine sometimes. I don't think I've ever pushed 2C on a standard li-ion.

One of these days when I finally decide to buy some good aw 10440's I'll take a cheap ultrafire one or two and test there maximum C rating (rather destructively :eg:) for absolute max and max continuous. I'll be sure to video it. :)

i am purchasing one of these for my coleman soon :)

how long including the spring is the whole thing without the lens installed???

what other hosts cheap host would this work with?

LaZeRz

A guidesman would be a good host :)

rhd

It should work with almost anything. Hotlights, moh's other stuff, C3's, C6's, etc.

One cautionary note - I did something silly and just killed one of the modules:

- If you're doing as suggested and filing the sides of the IC and PCB a bit with a nail file, so that the actual driver fits inside the heatsink too -> you MUST wrap the driver board in some sort of electrically insulating tape. Black tape works, but is likely counter-productive because of the thickness. Kapton tape works well.

The issue, is that if you file the sides of the PCB and/or IC, you are potentially exposing some traces on the board, or component contact points, to the heatsink (depending on how it all sits together). So the tape becomes necessary to prevent contact between the driver, and the negative feed (heatsink).

It should work with almost anything. Hotlights, moh's other stuff, C3's, C6's, etc.

One cautionary note - I did something silly and just killed one of the modules:

- If you're doing as suggested and filing the sides of the IC and PCB a bit with a nail file, so that the actual driver fits inside the heatsink too -> you MUST wrap the driver board in some sort of electrically insulating tape. Black tape works, but is likely counter-productive because of the thickness. Kapton tape works well.

The issue, is that if you file the sides of the PCB and/or IC, you are potentially exposing some traces on the board, or component contact points, to the heatsink (depending on how it all sits together). So the tape becomes necessary to prevent contact between the driver, and the negative feed (heatsink).

isn't the C3 single AA/14500 flashlight or you can fit 2 CR2's because that's the one im interested to?are you talking about this C3

Last edited:

rhd

You can get the C3 as a 2xAA (ie, 2x14500) host. They're quite nice lasers.

Mighty fine lookin' unit there.
I think it would be a great basis for a replacement into a cheap RGV projector.
Just need to pick a suitable large heatsink for a much longer term duty cycle...

what's the length of the whole module incl. driver and spring?

rhd

The length of the unit from the back of the PCB to the top of the aixiz module is about 34mm

The spring itself adds roughly 10mm, but it's quite flexible, and can compressed down to just a few mm, and you can trim it shorter if you want.

The lens is a typical lens, and will add some length to varying degrees depending on where it is adjusted to.