Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Mini Green Kit! SCHWEET!

jayrob

I have only tried one of them from DX, and it was about 105mW's. But I found it to be more stable at about 80mW's. (pot modded)

I also tried a laser from DX that was supposed to be 200mW's, and I got about 120mW's out of it...

ZRTMWA

How far would an old style (normal brass) O-like 200mW module stick out after the spring and the extra front brass was cut off? Thanks.

jayrob

I can tell you that the o-like 100mW module is the same length as the DX 200mW module. (after cutting the extra brass off, and the spring)

But the front of the module is larger in diameter than the DX module, and you could not fit an AixiZ focus ring over it. However, it will be a perfect fit for a silicone dust cap!

I have not bought an o-like 200mW module, so I cannot say if the size is the same as their 100mW module.

Also, it seems that the modules will vary depending on who their supplier is. At least with the 50mW modules, this has been the case...

ZRTMWA

The O-like old style 200mW is 62.5mm long and the O-like 100mW is 61.5mm long. So it would stick out 1mm farther than the new style O-like 200mW shown in your pictures? Would it make any difference if I completely cut off the host spring and the module spring into just two metal nubs? And isn't it possible to file down the nub on the positive side of the battery?

jayrob

I'm sure you could get it in there, and the more room you can make inside, the less it will have to protrude out the front of the heatsink, but yes, you can fit it...

jayrob

Rob, I am sending your Mini Green kit today. (Monday)

Let me know how you like it! :)

Rob

Hey Jay,

Got my laser on Saturday. This thing is sweet! I can't believe how solid it is! It is my new favorite laser, I like it even more than my Evo Pro. :D

Review coming soon, thank you so much for this awesome build!

P.S. Is it normal for these modules to suck through batteries? I've already gone through two CR2 Lithiums with minimal use. Although the batteries did have some run time in my 200mW Red laser...

jayrob

I reach for mine all the time too...

It's such a clean stainless steel finish, and it's small too.

I measure about 400mA's current draw from an RCR2 rechargeable. (62mW o-like) So that means that it will be about an hour before charging if the battery has 400mAh's capacity...

Looking forward to your review! :)

jayrob

I went ahead and modified the heatsink on mine to fit the DX 200mW (underpowered to 120mW's) style module and I like it just fine...

MGK14.jpg

It doesn't bother me at all that it sticks out the front a little.

I like it better even! Because I can have a dust cap on there...

Last edited:
I have the 100mw DX coming, it does have the leads, but you say, "the black wire gets cut short as well (just leave enough solder there to make contact to the battery negative)" Do you mean leave a bit of length of black wire with it tinned or what? not sure what to do with it, I will be ordering this host shortly...

jayrob

All you need is a contact point...

MGK11.jpg

Since the tail cap switch has a spring, you don't need a spring at the module board. Mine had a thick blob of solder at the black wire. Right where it was soldered onto the board. So I just cut the wire off, leaving some of the solder sticking out. That became my negative contact point to the battery...

jayrob

Jokermark, I sent your Mini Green kit fit for the DX module today. (Wednesday)

I included the machined out AixiZ focus ring I showed in my build so that you could glue it to the face of your heatsink and have a dust cap...

MGK12.jpg

Hope you like it!

Last edited:

JIMS19

Jay thats awesome I wish I had the knowledge and expertise to do some thing like that, this is all new to me.

jayrob

Stick around LPF!

You will be a veteran builder in no time...