Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: DIY Green Kit! Host, Heatsink - Easy Assembly!

jayrob

Also, check out my new Stainless Steel Green kit! Awesome!

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-stainless-steel-green-kit-polished-easy-assembly-56412.html

This is available as a 'DIY Green Kit' without the battery or laser module... (links to the green modules are shown below)

The kit includes:
* Host
* Heatsink
* Front piece
* Dust cap
* The 'pill' will be drilled and have a set screw as well!

This host/kit, is very well designed for good heatsinking to the module! Once you have this kit, it will last you a lifetime. VERY easy to swap out modules if ever needed or desired! :)

All you will need is a module (very easy to solder a small wire to bypass the switch - see picture below), a battery, and a 1.5mm Allen wrench for the set screws.

* The Kit will be $75 dollars plus shipping... (there is a $20 dollar discount option - see below)
* Kaleidoscope tip - $34 (see below)
* Shipping - $6
* Please read my shipping policy here!

It's a nice sized green build that uses a very nice host! Looks like a mini RPL! :D

Here's the host:
https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15687

The O-like green modules are here for the specs on them:
50mW: Green laser module 50mW For custom build or lab [OLGLM50] - $26.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products
100mW: 100mW industrial green laser module [OLGLM100] - $58.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products
150mW: Green laser module 200mW For custom build or lab [OLGLM200] - $115.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Note: This host can also be used for a diode build. (red, blu-ray, 445)

It is basically the exact same as my 18650 kit shown here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-18650-build-kit-easy-assembly-blu-ray-red-43857.html

Except the outside barrel design is different. (just cosmetic) Even the heads and tail caps are interchangeable...

The only other difference, is that this is just the 'shell casing', so it doesn't come with a board for the battery contact. (I use AMC7135 boards that I just take the components off)

This is a great 'Kit' for a DIY green build... You can use these pictures and first post, as a tutorial for the build... :)

Tritium Marker option! - This option is to mount a Tritium vial inlayed into the host. This stuff glows on it's own! Not like a normal GITD product. (see below)

G1.jpg

Kgreen4.jpg

Note: If you have a 4 pin style switch, it is easy to by-pass by connecting two of the points along either side. There are 4 solder points. Two at the the bottom (closest to the spring) And two at the top of the switch. (towards the aperture of the laser)

You can by-pass that style switch by soldering a small wire from one of the bottom points, to one of the top points. (easy to do)

G12.jpg

G11.jpg

G2.jpg

G3.jpg

G4.jpg

G5.jpg

G6.jpg

These 50mW and 100mW Standstone11 green modules are not IR filtered. But I have some IR filters, and the difference in the measurement is only about 10mW's or less with the IR filter (50mW module). And about 20mW's or less with the 100mW module.

These modules don't seem to have that 'slow climb' in power like the cheap DX greenies, the 50mW ones start out, at or above 40mW's and climb to over 50mW's with in 10 seconds in normal room temperature!:) The 100mW modules are overpowered as well!

As you can see from the pictures, the host is very nice, and has a mini RPL look to it! :D Very nice clicky button as well.

You can compare these green modules (price wise) to a diode, because the cost for the module alone, is only $28 bucks. plus shipping. (50mW)

(50mW Beam shots - with some smoke) - A 50mW green beam will look like this at night, or in the dark! :)
G7.jpg

G8.jpg

kgroove8.jpg

(150mW Beam shot - no smoke or fog)

It is a very easy assembly, if you have the key parts.

Note: All of the modules linked above, are the same size, and will work for this kit. But it doesn't hurt to double check the size of your module...

The build is based on these module dimensions: (.469in. X 2.479in., or 11.9mm X 62.7mm) The length measurements are from the spring to the front of the brass module.

For the assembly, it's just a matter of positioning the module at the correct distance, so that the front piece can slide in, and the final retaining ring can screw on, to hold it in place.

The threaded piece that I have the set screw in (see note in picture), is a piece that comes with the host. It will be drilled out precisely centered (on the lathe) and fit with a small set screw for the module. This is the positive contact point...

New option!

Add a kaleidoscope tip to my DIY Green custom front piece! :)

This is a nice option that I will offer if you want one!

The dust cap that is included with your DIY Green kit fits right over the kaleidoscope tip as well! :cool:

Here are the pictures...

G17.jpg

G21.jpg

G19.jpg

The 'kaleidoscope' tip turns to give some different patterns!

I will offer the kaleidoscope tips pre-mounted into a custom front piece that you can just 'swap out' with your existing front piece...

Note: This tip was made for a 30mW laser, and I do not yet know for sure if the diffraction gratings will degrade with higher powers...

Pricing:

Custom front piece including the kaleidoscope tip mounted with a set screw as shown in the first picture - $34 dollars.

If you order this new 'Star Tip' assembly separate from your DIY Green kit order, it will be $3 dollars shipping.

P.S. I only have 9 of these tips that I want to sell... If they become popular, then I can easily get more! :)

Assembly Tips:

* You will need a battery, and a 1.5mm Allen wrench for the set screw.
* You will need to cut the tail cap spring some. This is an easy thing to do. Then just re-shape the tip of the spring with some needle nose pliers.
* Battery orientation is case positive. (positive end towards tail cap)
* You can use either a 3.0 volt Lithium primary (CR123), or a 3.6 volt rechargeable battery. (RCR123) The 3.6 volt battery gives max power, but the 3.0 volt battery is recommended for a longer module life.

G9.jpg

I'm showing this picture just to point out that you may need to cut the spring on the tail cap a little shorter and use some needle nose pliers to re-shape the battery contact tip of the spring. (easy to do) This kind of thing is pretty normal for many DIY flashlight/laser mods.

G10.jpg

This is an easy way to take up the extra space in the barrel so that your battery doesn't 'rattle'. Since the host is fit for an 18650, the RCR123 fit is loose. Just put a piece of the foam type double sided tape on the battery, and leave the protective part on the top side of the tape!

Another good and easy way to make a battery sleeve, is to cut a strip of plastic from a 2 liter bottle of soda. Then roll up the sheet...

You can easily cut it to the right length to make a nice spacer for your battery...

By the way, this is a great host for a blu-ray or a red mod using an 18650 supply! ;)

$20 dollar less option!

For $20 dollars less...

I'll give the option of just drilling out the reflector so that the module will just slide through! :)

This means you will not need the custom front piece, or the dust cap. Instead, you will just leave the glass lens in place! This is a very nice finish as well. It also gives protection from dust and even some protection from water. (not sure if it is good for underwater)

Here's a picture of how this finish looks!...

G15.jpg

You may loose just a little power with the extra glass lens, but not much. Nice finish, good protection, cheaper price! ;)

Tritium Marker Upgrade!

* Yes it is radioactive - Tritium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
* No, it is not really harmful... As long as you don't ingest it.

This stuff GLOWS for over 10 years! Not like a normal glow in the dark item. It GLOWS on it's own! :D No light needed for this stuff to glow. (it just looks 'off white' in daylight - like a very tiny grain of rice, but smaller)

So the option is to have your host 'inlayed' with a Tritium marker! :)

Blue, green, or red... your choice.

Here are the pictures...

Tritium6.jpg

Tritium4.jpg

Tritium5.jpg

Tritium1.jpg

Tritium2.jpg

Tritium3.jpg

Tritium7.jpg

Tritium8.jpg

The glass vials are tiny... just under 1/16" in diameter, and about 1/5" long.

Note: The hosts are not all perfect, and the areas for machining the slot on the hosts vary in width. I will get the slot as straight as I can, and it will be very nice. But there are imperfections in the hosts when you look close. So please cut me a little slack in that area. :)

Then, the Tritium marker will just be glued in with clear silicone.

Before you ask, Greg is my contact for the Tritium. I don't sell it by itself, just in this upgrade for the Pocket Mini Kit or the DIY Green Kit.

And I also want to mention that Greg is stocking my Pocket Mini Kits in his store, Stonetek.org. He is able to offer 'upgraded' kits that have more parts, including FlexDrives.

The price for the 'Tritium Marker' upgrade, which includes the machine work and the Tritium vial set into the slot, is $24.99

If you already have one of my kits, you can send me the back 'barrel' portion of the host, and I can do the modification for the same price. Plus return shipping...

Last edited:

Re: DIY Green Kit! Host, Heatsink - Easy Assembly!

You just LOVE making everything easier for everyone dont you   :D ;) You might whana remove those links though. Or at least change them.

jayrob

Re: DIY Green Kit! Host, Heatsink - Easy Assembly!

Thanks! I fixed the link...

I have a Pocket Mini 'Kit' as well! ;)
Jay

Re: FS: DIY Green Kit! Host, Heatsink - Easy Assem

JayRob,

This is my first visit to this site and I just read your post about you no longer selling lasers built by you. Too bad because I would like to buy one!

Would you please explain a little more about your DIY green kit? I can buy the kit from you then I buy a module of my choice from the link that you cited above (I would list it here but it won't let me because I don't have 10 posts yet.....), and then assemble?

What is the runtime difference between the 50 and the 100mW module?

And how can I place an order?

Thanks in advance I know these are pretty basic questions. ::)

jayrob

Welcome to LPF! :)
This kit is a good design for a guy who wants to have a host for these green modules that will offer very good heatsinking to the module, and will allow really easy changing out the modules if ever needed...

The assembly is very easy. All you will need is a 1.5mm Allen wrench for the set screws. The picture in the first post shows how to solder a wire on the module to by-pass the switch... very easy. An instruction sheet is included with the kit! :)

The modules linked above are about the same duty. Their site recommends 60 sec. on / 60 sec. off for their higher quality IR filtered modules, and this is a good 'rule of thumb' to follow for these modules too...

PM me for PayPal information. If you do not have PayPal, you can still pay through PayPal with a credit card, even if you don't have a PayPal account. Just PM me your e-mail, and I will send you an invoice. Then there will be the option to pay either way.
Jay

L@z3r

Nice, But seems a little high for people like me who have bills etc...
But there your prices, so i can't complain.

jayrob

Tell you what, for $20 dollars less...

I'll give the option of just drilling out the reflector so that the module will just slide through! :)

This means you will not need the custom front piece, or the dust cap. Instead, you will just leave the glass lens in place! This is a very nice finish as well. It also gives protection from dust and even some protection from water. (not sure if it is good for underwater)

Here's a picture of how this finish looks!...

G15.jpg

You may loose just a little power with the extra glass lens, but not much. Nice finish, good protection, cheaper price! ;)
Jay

Dang i wish i had some extra money, i could really go for a nice green or pocket mini right now. My laser budget it maxed for the next couple of months though.

Nice Jay, for me it's a "must have" * ;)

Got it jayrob, it's the envy of my astronomy pals, so, I'll have to build more of them. Pictures coming soon as I get a chance.

Last edited:

jayrob

Good deal Glenn... Thanks! :)

Which style 'tickles your fancy'? The glass lens finish, or the custom aluminum piece?
Jay

I love 'em all Jay, but a small budget may make the choice for me . ;)

jayrob

Well as you can see from the picture, the (cheaper) glass lens finish, is very nice! :cool:

You don't loose much power with the extra glass...
Jay

jayrob

tstrupp, just to let you know that your DIY green kit will be in Tuesday's mail...

Please post back to let everybody know what you think of the kit! :)
Jay

jayrob

Montana64, your DIY Green Kit is shipping today... (Tuesday)

DIY Green Kit.jpg

Your kit will include everything shown in this picture, plus an instruction sheet with tips for best module position, and tips on the tail cap spring adjustment as well...
Jay

Thank you Jay. I certainly will let you know when i get it, and obviously how much I like it ;). BTW, that shipping address is correct, i was busy with work earlier and not able to get online to see your PMs until just now.

Ted :cool:

Kit arrived on Friday. Contents were very packaged very nice and secure. I followed your very clear directions to bypass the switch on the module. Putting the module in the host were also very clear. It took me about 5 minutes to assemble, which i was able to do easily on my first attempt. Really, a young child probably wouldn't have a hard time assembling this kit. Great job Jay!!! So easy, even a caveman could do it! ;D I am extremely happy and satisfied with this very solid kit. I would highly recommend your kits to everyone, especially those of us that have very little experience building lasers. +1 Jay, I couldn't be more satisfied. This will go great with my Kryton groove! I will ask Kenom if he has the time to put this one on his kenometer! I used the 120-150mW module from Susie.

The only thing i need to get used to and pay attention to, is making sure i put the battery in upside down.

Ted