Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Direct Diode Heatsinks - The 'Chunk' series

Re: FS: Direct Diode Heatsinks - The 'Chunk' serie

:cool: Mauswiesel :cool:

Just getting you're Big Chunk ready for shipping.
You will be impressed with the quality of the machine work as well as the fit and finish of this unit.
Be sure to post some pics of you're new laser and let us know how the Big Chunk was to work with.​

BigChunk001.jpg

o0 nice presentation ! ;) it's looks perfect !

no problem for the pic :)

Thanks !

Hello !
I received the big chunk this minute, this morning !
(in fact the heatsink were packed with plastic bubble, so shipping is perfect)
The design is very very sweet ! IMO a must have for terrific cooling !

Fit perfectly in a mxdl, but an idea come in my head : why not build a 3 host heatsink module ? It will be amazing !

In fact im doing this without heatsink, only with the aixiz housing.

58894696ku6p.jpg

In fact, it's really a huge lot of machined aixiz housing, with a result not as good .

So yours skilling heatsink gave me an idea; you could do a heatsink with  3 holes (2 for press fit red and blue diode, + the associated threaded to put a lens, + another hole, bigger to support a green module)
Here it's :

90404037.jpg

First, don't remove the matter, it fit perfectly in the mxdl with, and it will be needed next.

49948811.jpg

Second, a green module (o-like type) have a diameter exactly equal to the diameter of the aixiz ring

67114124.png

Third,  i saw that 3 ring can fit in the diameter of the big chunk, wonderful !

71397758.jpg

Finnaly, for the back, just remove a little of matter (in red) in front of the 2 hole were the diode are press fitted, and to allow the green module to pass.

Of course, the green module have a good lenght with the driver : to make this mod, we can unsolder the driver and place him in the space, or building a tiny one. With patient, it could be easily done, i made it without an heatsink which could maintain perfectly the 3 laser module !

It's feasible, dunno what you think, but it will be a very special heatsink for special mod !;

of course we can make also heatsink for only red and blue diode, not a problem !  a further improvement is to use also copper (but $$ but worth the price) for the heatsink.

just an idea ;)

Know what would be swell? If you could make 9mm versions of these so we could all use our SWELL 9mm diodes in them! ;D

Know what would be swell? If you could make 9mm versions of these so we could all use our SWELL 9mm diodes in them

That is a very good idea, HumanSymphony and would be easy to do when these are being machined. I have not used a 9 mm diode yet, so let me ask a noob question. Does a 9mm diode use the same Aixxis style lens assembly as the smaller diodes ? With the growing selection of lenses for that thread style we probably won't be making a production run of anything else right away.

I could get some custom machined for the 9 mm diode if the interest is there, let me know. Catmandoo​

@mauswiesel; I'm glad you like your Chunk! Another happy customer  :cool:
If you are really really set on that 3 module design, I will make one up for you on a pro-rata basis if you are interested. (But due to myself relocating, access to my machines may be sporadic)

@HumanSymphony; What CMD said! If you want it, I will make it.  ;)
Can I have a show of hands for a 9mm chunk?
If there is sufficient quantity, I will make a batch, if not I can make you one on a pro rata basis too.

This goes to everyone out there, if you want to see a chunk made for a certain type of diode or setup not listed, just shout out or drop me a PM, and I'll do my best to accommodate.

How's that?
Dan :)

I'd prob take a 9mm chunk

Do you have a spec sheet on the diodes that you are using ?  I would like to see if machining an existing Big Chunk is feasible or to start with a blank sink will be better.
When we first started kicking around the idea of the Big Chunks we had a lot of input from laser builders just like you and we ended up with what I believe is the best design going. In this initial planning stage we included the option to roll with the flow and be open to design changes that benefit the product. By benefitting the product I mean making it more user friendly.
Catmandoo  :cool:

Here is a cheap 9mm diode, if you want to buy one and measure it up:
http://www.qualifound.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=971

Also, here are some measurements:
http://www.us-lasers.com/laser_diode_9MMspecs.htm
9mm%20laser%20diode%20pkg%20size.jpg

HumanSymphony said:
Know what would be swell? If you could make 9mm versions of these so we could all use our SWELL 9mm diodes in them! ;D

Are there pre built lenses that could colminate a multimode diode, and correct the multimode-ness of it?

robjdixon

Thanks for the spec's, Daniel is deep in the reccess' of his castle in Transilvania feverish laboring away. When He gets the design spec'd out I will most likely get some done up here stateside and ship them out. I will need some serious buyers for this, I intend to eat the machining cost and don't want a lot made up and not sold. I am sure that you understand .
Back to my noob question, is having the Chunk set up to use the Axxis style lens acceptable ?
CMD​

I'd buy at least two. If you haven't seen, heruursciences is selling bags of 25 high power 9mm diodes for $50 which I know MANY of us have bought (and is why I suggested this).

I was not aware of the "Bags o diodes" I have been to broke to go shopping, just teases me ! LOL
If the need is there we will do a production run, thats not a problem. I say we punch out a few for the 9mm diodes, let a few good builders test them before we make a bunch.
I will run this past Daniel, He is already pretty receptive to the 9mm idea.

Now before we tool up and actually make a bunch, You have seen the Big Chunks, other than changing the bore for the diode, is there anything else that you think would improve the sink for a 9mm ?  What about cosmetics ?  Let us know what you think, after all we are building these for you !
CMD​

Catmandoo said:
I was not aware of the "Bags o diodes" I have been to broke to go shopping, just teases me ! LOL
If the need is there we will do a production run, thats not a problem. I say we punch out a few for the 9mm diodes, let a few good builders test them before we make a bunch.
I will run this past Daniel, He is already pretty receptive to the 9mm idea.

Now before we tool up and actually make a bunch, You have seen the Big Chunks, other than changing the bore for the diode, is there anything else that you think would improve the sink for a 9mm ?  What about cosmetics ?  Let us know what you think, after all we are building these for you !
CMD​

I would probably be in for a chunk heatsink :) (assuming they're cheaper than a meridith module anyway :p

I've got lots of 9mm diodes that need heatsinking

I would probably be in for a chunk heatsink (assuming they're cheaper than a meridith module anyway

I've got lots of 9mm diodes that need heatsink

How about $ 25.00 usd and $ 2.50 shipping world wide ? Considering the parts and labor it should be good for every one involved. CMD

Oh, I forgot, discounts on more than one when purchased together and still $2.50 shipping ! CMD

The design is in and sealed.  :cool:
A small batch will be in for production shortly... strictly limited quantities will be available for the next couple of months at least. Pre-orders welcome to secure an MXDL "Huge" chunk for 9mm diodes. All for the same price of $25, $2.50 flat rate shipping, regardless of quantity ordered.

Stay tuned!

Regards,
Dan :)