Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Direct Diode Heatsinks - The 'Chunk' series

Re: FS: Direct Diode Heatsinks - The 'Chunk' serie

Daniel is modding six of the MXDL Big Chunk heatsinks for the 9mm diodes.
If you would like a "HUGE" Chunk for the 9mm MXDL combo let Daniel or I know for sure.
When these six are gone it will be a litttle while before another producton run, and that will be only if the demand is there.
Here is the order page: http://danielbriggs.co.uk/laser/index.html

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Yep, that's right.
What CMD said, 6 of them are going to be precision machined for the 9mm diodes. Expect the same great press fit as the 5.6mm diode big chunk heatsinks do.

Are there any other diode packages that people would like a heatsink for? I haven't bought one of those 'grab-bags' yet, so I don't know what other diode types are in circulation. Feel free to let me know, and I'm sure we could sort out a suitable heatsink; bespoke or otherwise.

Regards,
Dan

OK
Here's the deal
I shipped six Chunks to Daniel for modding into 9mm "Huge Chunks"
Dan has two that will be available on May 5th
First come first serve, go to the DC website and secure the worlds newest 9mm heatsink
http://danielbriggs.co.uk/laser/index.html

;D :cool: ;D :cool: ;D :cool: ;D :cool: ;D :cool:

doug

Chunk for Meredith module

Hello. Is there any chance of getting one of these heatsinks made to fit the Meredith Lens assembly?

Merideth lens Chunks

No, right now there are no plans on the table for the Merideth lens. There are an ever increasing number of excellent lens options for the 9mm thread style .
There are Huge chunks available for the 9mm diodes, quantities are limited so act fast if you want the newest heat sink technology.... Get a "Huge Chunk" Order online

http://danielbriggs.co.uk/laser/index.html

Doug, the merideth lens will not fit, and I don't currently have the time to machine a one off.
However Jayrob's lens WILL fit; give one a try ;)

By the way: Atached is a photo of the new 9mm chunks.

All the best,
Dan

Attachments

• P050509_17.34.JPG
    P050509_17.34.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 137
Hey
Where are all the people who asked for 9mm Huge Chunk heatsinks ?
You asked for them and we happily obliged, modding the best heatsink that we know of, custom tailored to a 9mm diode .
HumanSymphony and MarioMaster , the ball is in you're court, slam dunk or foul out !

Frostythedadman, over at LE, tested a Chunk heatsink and this is his post and review of the little beasty :

The boilling water test at Home
I Put the Chunk in a small pot of water and brought it to a Hard boil, Off to the side I had a Coffee cup with 1 cup of water in it, the temp of the water in the cup was 68 deg F / 20 Deg C, The temp of the boiling water was greater then 300 Deg F / 148.8 Deg C, at that point I took the Chunk out and put it in the cup of room temp water and recorded the temp change of the water and how long it took to equalize, It only took 2 seconds and the Temp change of the water only changed by a little less then 6 deg F / 3.3 Deg C, The CHUNK disapated 226 Deg F / 125.5 Deg C in 2 seconds WOW
The free air test
I heated that same pot of water with the Chunk in it again to 250 Deg F / 121.1 Deg C, Then I put it on a wire rack and in a matter of aprox 50 seconds it was down to 84 Deg F / 24.4 Deg C, So The Chunk Disapated 166 Deg F / 92.2 Deg C in under 1 Min. Thats 3.3 Deg F / 1.83 Deg Per second WOW
The Lab Test
We put the Chunk on a heat controled surface and set it for 1.5 Watt and after 2 hours the temp of the Chunk only increased in temp by 11.5 Deg C /10.7 Deg F over room temp WoW
thats better then the transister heat sinks from Thermalloy that I have been using. So I am figuring that The Chunk can handle Power levels greater then 1 WATT I would guesstomate It could handle a 2.5 Watt Diode with no problem.
so far 5 Thumbs up.
Next is to try it with a 1.6 Watt 808 nm C mount and then my 2 Watt 808 nm C mount

I'm talking about the well-known fact that water boils at 212 deg F / 100 deg C.

2nd. :D

The 100C is at sea level atmospheric pressure though. So the only way a temperature of 150C would have been possible was if a pressure cooker was used...a pretty damn strong one in fact...:confused:

Oh and Jayrob is now making a Meredith glass lens mod that fits the aixiz and the chunk...making a Meredith version of the chunk even less likely/useful.

I'm talking about the well-known fact that water boils at 212 deg F / 100 deg C.

Yes Water does begin to boil at 212 Deg F (at sea level) are you at sea level?¿ I am Not! the higher the alt the higher the temp, and as long as their is enough water and a enough heat you can heat water well past 212 Deg F, it just evaps faster, I mean how hot do think the water spraying out of Old Fathful is?¿ stick your hand in their I dare you.
And the only reason CMD cross posted was because I have been busy working on an emissions experiment for clean coal tec!!!
Any Way I Like The Chunk, CMD and Daniel did a great JOB on them!!!
And if you think for a second water cannot get hotter then 212 Deg F then why does the 280 Deg thermostat in any car open with just water in the coolant system.
So if you need confirmation GOOGLE will back me up.

:spank:

Last edited:
2nd. :D

The 100C is at sea level atmospheric pressure though. So the only way a temperature of 150C would have been possible was if a pressure cooker was used...a pretty damn strong one in fact...:confused:

Oh and Jayrob is now making a Meredith glass lens mod that fits the aixiz and the chunk...making a Meredith version of the chunk even less likely/useful.

Get yourself a 2 Quart pot fill it with H20 (Water) 1 thermometer (Fluk with temp prob) set your gas stove to light with the pot of water on it then you wait until you see little bubbles then test the water thats when its close to 212 when it is at a hard boil it will be about 270 or more.
Like I have already posted most cars thermostats open at 260-280 Deg F and a radiator is designed to only have 14 - 19 PSI (Thats no pressure cooker)

Last edited:
Sorry, that's a load of bull. The higher you are, the lower the temperature at which water boils (because water boils when the vapor pressure equals the ambient pressure). Water starts to boil at 212 deg F and as long as the pressure doesn't rise, it continues to boil at that temperature - any energy added at that point will only convert water from liquid to gas, it will not raise the temperature (similarly for condensing water vapor and freezing/melting water, btw). You can superheat water a bit (required for geysirs to operate), but as soon as it then starts actual boiling, the temp will again drop to 212 deg F. That's basic thermodynamics.

Last edited:

Benm

I think some needs to get his thermometer checked over :)

Sure you can make water boil at 150 centigrade - you'd have to dig a mighty deep hole though... deep enough to be able to set the pot on the magma and watch the water boil without a stove ;)

It can be done in a pressure cooker, but i fail to see the use.

If you want to know the heat capacity of the heatsink, just weigh it and multiply by the specific heat capacity of the material you used to make it - easy!

If you wanted to know the heat dissipation, connect something of known power output to it and measure the temperature rise above ambient. Convert to K/W, done!

---

I doubt knowing either parameter is of much use for this application though, as the heatsink will be mounted inside the host head, and the thermal transfer has to go through that to reach a final real world value. You could measure that, would be interesting to know how the entire assembly performs.

Last edited: