Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Customizable Fully Machined host

What do you expect it to look like? A toaster? Its a laser. The kryton is an excellent design. I didn't copy it but these hosts both do the same thing so they have to look similar. Also the Kryton is not customizable for little or no charge.

I kind of agree with gotwake here, your host is great and I'm glad to see other people pursuing getting custom hosts made, but dang - you couldn't have tried much harder to clone the kryton groove. Yes there are differences, but don't you think you could've made something truly unique instead of just making them a bit more adaptable to accessories?

They don't look like Grooves to me, they are nicely done and different enough. Not seeing the resmblance other than roundness, you guys must be craving Grooves :crackup: I'd like to see one bare though, no anodizing, I may be up for one myself. Good job MW.

HOLY whatever....

Ken, it was amazing to meet you - I own 2 Krytons, You know that.

MW, great job on the engineering with these hosts.

'Nuff said

Hey MrW,

How about making a side switch version. You could bend a holder clip out of springy flat metal shaped like the attached illustration. The switch is held in at the top of the illustration. A push on/ push off switch would be cool but if one can’t be found small enough to stay out of the way of the driver then a mini normally, open on/off would be OK. Turning a tiny michanical button extendor would be the hardest part IMO but you may be able to finde some then out there like for the thin AAA style pens lites.

You could make a shorter solid tailcap to make up for some of the extra space in front if needed.

anyway it's an idea.

-SightFX

Attachments

• switch clip.gif
    switch clip.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Yeah this is made to be small and compact. I haven't felt any heat so far from the heatsink. It hasn't even been warm and I'm running a 8x diode pushing ~380mA with 1:30 duty cycles, so I would assume this host has very good efficiency for heatsinking.
A cold heat sink is not always a good thing. A few things may be happening.

1. The heat sink is really poorly mounted and not pulling heat off your component so the component is going to send out smoke signals at some point.

2. The component is efficient enough that it doesn't need that much heat sinking.

3. There is so much heat sink material that it will take allot of time for the temperature to reach the surface and by then it will be so distributed that you can’t feel it.

4. The heat sink is so efficient at transferring the heat to the air that you don't feel the heat.

Number 1 is of course bad and numbers 3 and 4 are unlikely here.
For the 8X I would say #3 is what is happening. My 8x is very cool running as well. I am sure this heat sink works excellent and I am not saying it isn't. Just that a cool heat sink is not an indicator of how well a heat sink works. Pressure and surface area are the best ways to reduce Thermal conductive resistance. You are doing both here with your press fitting directly to the heat sink and lots of surface to air contact.
For semiconductors that are less efficient and give off more heat I go by this rule of thumb. You can feel the warmth coming off of it but you can still comfortably hold your fingers to it for at least 3 seconds (~150F max). Of course that is the max and I try to stay well below that especially with laser diodes.

Thanks,

Ryan

You can feel the heatsink is higher temp. than the rest of the host so it is working, I just wouldn't call it warm. I don't usually operate more than a few duty cycles in a row so it doesn't have time to build up heat. I'm sure if I used it for about 10 or 15 minutes it would begin to warm up more and more.

Last edited:
Hey are there any lens caps that would fit on this, or should I just put some saran wrap or something like that over

Oh okay, I thought you were saying I was copy catting the kryton. Interpreting text can be misleading.
Well thanks everyone for the comments so far. I have two orders placed also.

lol, trust me, if you take pointers from people when designing a host, the end result will ALWAYS resemble a kryton.
This happened when i was trying to make a host....i posted pictures of a basic design and changed it as people gave pointers.....after about a day i had a picture of a kryton....

lol, trust me, if you take pointers from people when designing a host, the end result will ALWAYS resemble a kryton.
This happened when i was trying to make a host....i posted pictures of a basic design and changed it as people gave pointers.....after about a day i had a picture of a kryton....

A tube that holds a laser, switch, and battery is faaaaaar from an original idea. Its getting old that with every new tube design people say it looks like a kryton. And with anger too. Its NOT a kryton, get over it.

I am curious... is it possible to install rubber o-rings on the tail and head caps to offer some sort of protection from humidity, as well as shock resistance?

No this unit is very small and compact, no room to add o-rings. The tight fitting threads will provide plenty of humidity protection, but as far as shock protection. I would just recommend not to drop it. The host will take the fall with ease, especially with power coating, but I can't say the same for the diode.

Price drop

Bump!
Added a picture of a kryton for size comparison.
Dropped the price, still includes free powder coating for a limited time.

Just saw that 8x sled are $103 so I dropped price of host again to try and get some more sold. Also I shipped one to daguin so hopefully I can get a review posted by him.