Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Collection HUGE PRICE DROPS Added Kryton Groove

Re: FS: Collection HUGE PRICE DROPS

thanks. I phoned but the dept. I need to speak to is closed till tomorrow now.

I talked with some people--

Apparently exporting from US customs, sometimes it gets stuck there for no apparent reason (which it seems to)

There's no reason the package will get seized, as
1) no batteries
2) laser is <5mW

I've been told it can take as long as a month :/

Ahh, so it's probably still in the states then. I just wrongly assumed that once it left Chicago it was on a plane to the UK. Makes sense why ParcelForce (Parcel Farce?) can't find it on their systems... it ain't on them yet.

There's no reason the package will get seized, as
1) no batteries
2) laser is <5mW

That correlates with what I thought.

I've been told it can take as long as a month :/

I guess that's the price one pays (or doesn't pay, in this case) for using snail mail. Had it been sent via courier (DHL, UPS, FedEx) it may well be here now but judging by how much my ARG goggles were going to cost to go via courier it would have pushed the price up considerably. Something to bear in mind if you do ever send to overseas buyers again, though.

Knowing what I know has released some of the concern I had although I'm bummed that there may be many weeks yet to wait. I'll sit tight!

Last edited:

wby300

Yes thanks, will be awaiting its arival:beer:

The 561 arrived today. Works as advertised. Have not run it on my LPM yet. Anyone know how the head on this thing is removed? Anyone know if CNI glues them together or are they just screwed on real tight.

Very cool color, much different than the 532 and 520. After playing with it for a while and then firing up my green lasers you all the sudden realize just how much more bluish of a tone the 532 and 520 have in comparison. Maybe it's an optical trick on my eyes. Whatever it is I almost felt like they were greenish blue lasers rsther than green lasers.

OP- did you ever do an LPM reading on it using high current drain Panasonic 18650's? I tossed the red and black untrustfire after about 10 mins of playing with it and dropped a fully charged HCD Panny in it and it seemed to appear brighter. Could be a placebo effect. Once I finally download that open source LPM data logging software and get my LB 2.5 running agian I will measure it and let you know. I found some very small TEC's on eBay and ordered them last week. I am seriously thinking of trying to build a new host for this thing using these TECs. Would be really cool (pun intended) to run this thing TEC cooled. Will require some planning and good execution by one of our resident lathe artists here, possibly Mrcrouse. I even found a miniature TEC driver/controller board with temp sensing feedback and control. It's a while down the road but I think if any laser deserved a TEC'd host, this one does.

iPhone camera sucks for laser pics.....it doesn't look like this at all, much more yellow....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 46

I would strongly urge you not to disassemble it, if you do you are quite likely to damage it. If you insist on doing so, I'd send it to someone who has experience taking them apart. There are several formats that the PGL-Cs come in, and you wouldn't want to ruin something so expensive. There's not really a step by step way to disassemble it. Though if you set some time aside is be happy to help you over a Skype video feed it you want to do it alone. Ill warn you it can be potentially quite frustrating and slow, as well as vey dangerous for the laser.

IsaacT

"Potentially quite frustrating"

Truth

Well, that was a bolt from the blue. I went to the PO this morning to claim (and pay a clearance fee) of what I thought was my ARG goggles. Wrong! I am now in possession of the Rigel. Tried some worn out duracells off my desk and sure enough it survived the journey, will try some proper batteries later. The tube it came in was a neat idea.

I'll submit a feedback thread soon and probably do a video review, just because.
Ps - not that it matters - is this a Rigel 6 or 5?

I never realised just how picky about temperature these lasers were. My house is too cold for it, ha. Left it in a small heated room since lunchtime and it's playing ball a bit more now. Forgot how dim 5mW of laser is having been spoiled with my collection so far, but as far as I can tell it's working correctly. Beam specs are... interesting, and divergence appears to be pretty shocking, but don't take that as gospel until I sit down and measure it. Likes to stay in TEM10 from a cold start and then gradually settles into TEM00 as far as I can see. Very elegant, most of my greens flicker between all sorts of modes pretty much all of the time.

Mine is rather stable, and the divergence on most yellows is epic it seems. But indeed they have a very narrow temperature band. Too hot or cold and it won't lase properly, not just because it's DPSS, but because you also lose the 1319nm line. It helps to use lithium AAAs. The driver is run conservatively, and so the voltage drop from 3V is often what makes it weak. The 3.17Vor so you get with the lithiums creates a negligible heat, but it drives the diode better/properly for longer, so you get a bit more out of it and it's less finicky. I usually keep them in my pocket to keep them warm. Laserglow suggests a 30s duty cycle to help the diode last. (It's a giant 500mw crammed up in there memory serving, so it gets hot fast, even if the laser case isn't)

Last edited:

IsaacT

I got my 1W 650nm LaserBtB in the mail today. Was wondering if you have shipped the key yet? If so what day did you ship it?

Thanks,
Isaac

PS - Looks really good, can't wait to fire it up!

IsaacT

Edit: I am impatient, so I used a small Lego piece of my brother's, and my dremel, and a box cutter to make my own key. I'm gonna showcase it in my review :) pics to come soon.

Video lol. I am too proud of this little modification.

Last edited:

Sorry guys, been away from the comp for a bit--

The 450, 473 and your key have all been shipped out yesterday morning. I'll get tracking numbers sent out asap. Sorry it took so long, a lot is going on these days.