Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Beautiful Near Mirror Finish Original Mace of Doom W/ Focus Knob

Onryo

I was waiting for that :)
It would have to be a so called "intellectual" work. Be it creative in art and design or innovative so that others do not know the workings.

Sure people can nitpick to death but we already know the answer to something like a plan old C6 heatsink. Like I said "If you got to reverse engineer it or need to buy a physical product to make your own copy you know your breaking this" These items are MSL by default unless the innovator says it is not.

Hey its far from perfect but at least it gives some guidelines. As an Debian GNU/Linux developer I personally am a GPL kind of guy but If somebody wants to sell *their* ideas its up to them.

Last edited:

For most of the stuff on this forum there seams to be no need to buy something to reverse engineer it. Grant it there are a few things but not that many that someone would physical need to duplicate. I mean this is a hobby not a full time job, and yeah people should credit work started by others, but with competition the people buying the products are going to be the ones that win in the end. Also from this new innovative products with come.

Also for the record I don't have much in the laser hobby of unique or original designs. But outside of that yeah I've got quite a few and I don't mind sharing designs and stuff.

The real problem here is that some people are trying to help out the forum and provide creative items or kits for people, while others are trying to create a monopoly on a product to make a buck. I'm surely going to catch hell for this, but honestly it's the truth. If a person wants to keep a monopoly on a product go get a patent, you can have a 20 year monopoly. Although, there is likely no way you could get a patent for a heatsink that fits a standard flashlight as it is too obvious to really be patentable. Can't we just all get along, and provide forum members with some great items at good prices?

Last edited:

Onryo

We all hate monopolies! As a minarchist libertarian they are my pet peeve! The best way to deal with them is more and better innovation =) Not everybody holds monetary capitol as their prime ends.

The guy who once said this:

-We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas - 1996 Steve Jobs.

Later said this: :D

-I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40bn in the bank. I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this. - Steve Jobs 2011

why-you-mad-tho1.jpg

The synergy of many talented enthusiastic people who are doing what they do for the joy of it can accomplish amazing things. Android is a free OS (AOSP) based on Linux and it really forcing Apple to make better and cheaper products. Linux is a perfect example. The estimated cost just to develop the Linux Kernel as of 2011 was over $3bn and Debian being over $20bn.

I just bought a Samsung SIII. Samsung can't Borgart the code since it has GPL code in it and poor Apple can't keep up because Android has GPL code :) I downloaded it and am modding my phone right now.

I don't know why you feel that you would "catch hell" for anything? Yesterday FP said this to me

I am happy with the outcome I received a PM for Mcrouse saying he was sorry and will not do that again, I could not be any happier

You showed some real character with what you said. Have a feeling you are more likely to catch rep :beer:

All the best
Onryo

These things are all very true. I wouldn't say all, as there are some members here that just because they found a flashlight first on DX, they think they own the rights to it. And I was not concerned with FlaminPyro. He told me things are good now, and that was actually a creative design. It is people that make a basic heatsinks for a flashlight and chastise others for build in it that bother me. Regardless, I hope we can all just be friendly to each other, and offer some sweet looking kits for the great members of this forum.

Thanks for the comment. :beer:

Last edited:
I agree can't we all just get along :wave:

Although for me it's not just about funds it's about pride in what I have designed and respect.

If I was in this just for the money I would have changed jobs like 3 years ago :crackup:

I really do like helping people get things they can not get any where else, it's makes me feel good inside to help others !!!

if people come to to me and say that's one cool focus adapter you have built then I don't want some one else making the
same adapter and getting the kudos for it, so a little respect can go a long way in keeping the peace for sure.

I think Onryo has hit on something good here so everyone please read what he has said, I think it would be a good idea
if we all came up with a plan that can be used on LPF to curb copying others ides for profit, I have no problem if some
one makes one of my designs for there own personal use and I would not think any one else would have a problem with that either.

Myself and Jayrob has come up with something that works so we don't step on each others toes so why can't all the other machinist
who sell here get on the same bus and maybe we would end up with even more cool stuff for the members to chose from instead of
the same thing slightly modified, more new ideas will emerge, hell look at how many Mrcrouse came up with right after all this went
down he posted like 6 new designs right away so that shows what I'm saying can be done.

Best wishes to all...

The real problem here is that some people are trying to help out the forum and provide creative items or kits for people, while others are trying to create a monopoly on a product to make a buck. I'm surely going to catch hell for this, but honestly it's the truth. If a person wants to keep a monopoly on a product go get a patent, you can have a 20 year monopoly. Although, there is likely no way you could get a patent for a heatsink that fits a standard flashlight as it is too obvious to really be patentable. Can't we just all get along, and provide forum members with some great items at good prices?

Thanks. And I completely understand having pride in an innovative design. It is an awesome design! I would have pride in it too. The thing I can't get over is people claiming the rights to hosts. You can build a heatsink for my C11 or Mace of Doom host, it doesn't matter, I didn't come up with the host. Found it on DX one day, and went, hey, that looks cool. In fact, I've seen others that have built heatsinks from the same flashlight as the Original Mace of Doom, it doesn't bother me. Now if I see a copy of my triple diode host, then I'll get quite upset too.

It is just like the C6. It is a flashlight, everyone has the right to it.

Last edited:
I agree 100% that bought hosts are going to be hard to deal with in this respect and I think I would leave them off the table entirely unless they have some substantial modification,
but custom machined hosts, custom focus adapters, custom machined parts, drives, custom electronics all should be in a different class than a bought host.

I will go the extra mile and do any foot work needed to class items or make it so there are some clear rules to follow, I think this would go a long way to reduce tension between machinists
and providers of laser parts which would reduce any further drama on LPF and the end result would provide even more choices for the members so it looks like a plus plus to me :D

Please see here > http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/help-classification-laser-parts-78715.html#post1131665

Last edited:
I am glad we agree on that. Anything custom and "unique" should be respected by fellow machinists. Anyone can pick up a host, make some measurements, and have a heatsink made, but it takes some skill and creativity to make your own custom designs whether aesthetic or functional. It may be helpful to have a thread somewhere outlining what is free game, and what is not. And in there, it would be good to encourage members to communicate about whether or not there designs can be used, for like a one time build or whatnot. If you want to use one of my focus knob designs for a custom host you are building, I'd likely okay it. If someone wanted to just make a pile of them, or was constantly making them, that would not be cool. I also think half of it is just giving credit to the original designer. We all like receiving credit for our innovative designs. :beer:

I agree 100% and that is why I started this> http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/help-classification-laser-parts-78715.html#post1131665

I am glad we agree on that. Anything custom and "unique" should be respected by fellow machinists. Anyone can pick up a host, make some measurements, and have a heatsink made, but it takes some skill and creativity to make your own custom designs whether aesthetic or functional. It may be helpful to have a thread somewhere outlining what is free game, and what is not. And in there, it would be good to encourage members to communicate about whether or not there designs can be used, for like a one time build or whatnot. If you want to use one of my focus knob designs for a custom host you are building, I'd likely okay it. If someone wanted to just make a pile of them, or was constantly making them, that would not be cool. I also think half of it is just giving credit to the original designer. We all like receiving credit for our innovative designs. :beer:

Just saw it, and commented on it. ;)

I think this could be very helpful to the machinists in this community.

I bought the host and focus knob set! It is absolutely gorgeous! I have a fetish for polished hosts, so this suits me perfectly! It makes an exotic display on by cherry wood bookshelf :) I dropped in a DTR 9mm module with built-in driver and G2 lens. Installation took just 5 min, no need to solder, just tuck the wires under two screws. Super easy. Thanks!

Polished Mace's of Doom still available! Along with custom polished knobs.

Last edited:
Bump another sold! Only 2 remaining. Post a picture of a custom knob for this build