Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: 7x12 Mini lathe

Good luck with the sale jake, hope everything works out.

Have been in the market for a lathe for quite some time now, would be all over this, if you weren't located on the wrong side of the Atlantic. :beer:

thanks dan, I just received my new full size vertical knee mill. it took me about 4 days and 10 or so towels to remove allthe shipping grease and it was a thing of beauty, then I lubed it up with all the correct fluids and the one shot system and now she drips proudly with the correct fluids and moves freely and smoothly.

I had been looking for a really small used benchtop lathe for a while, but that looks to be much bigger. I guess what I am wanting would probably be considerd a micro-lathe.

Bob, yes; have a look at the "Sieg C0". They are 99% available as a manual lathe, but 1 company has retrofitted steppers to this tiny lathe, to make a very very mini CNC lathe.
Or perhaps a small unimat or even a watchmakers lathe for really small stuff.
Personally, I'd buy the biggest lathe possible, as those sorts of sizes would be a bit too small to be useful. But if you really need a small lathe, those are a good few to have a look at.

thanks dan, I just received my new full size vertical knee mill. it took me about 4 days and 10 or so towels to remove allthe shipping grease and it was a thing of beauty, then I lubed it up with all the correct fluids and the one shot system and now she drips proudly with the correct fluids and moves freely and smoothly.

Fantastic ;)
Just out of interest, what make and model did you go for?
A Myford?

Ta,
Dan

Bob, yes; have a look at the "Sieg C0". They are 99% available as a manual lathe, but 1 company has retrofitted steppers to this tiny lathe, to make a very very mini CNC lathe.
Personally, I'd buy the biggest lathe possible, as those sorts of sizes would be a bit too small to be useful. But if you really need a small lathe, those are a good few to have a look at.

Fantastic ;)
Just out of interest, what make and model did you go for?
A Myford?

Ta,
Dan

off brand, but nice... http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1050Mill.html

Any idea on shipping to the UK? Also, what's the largest diameter billet this will take?

Any idea on shipping to the UK? Also, what's the largest diameter billet this will take?

A 7x12" lathe mean 7" max diameter possible before the workpiece will foul the bed, and a maximum of 12" length.
However, don't expect to get some 7" bar and clamp it straight in!
It all down to the chuck. The stock chuck will be an 80mm/3" 3 jaw chuck. You can add larger ones such as a 4" or larger with the appropriate back plate.
A 3 jaw chuck with the outside jaws installed, you can expect to clamp just over 2" dia.
If I remember correctly this lathe has a 19mm bore through the spindle for long stock.

Should postage not work out, and as you're in the UK (like moi) check out:
- Chester Tools
- Arc Euro Trade
- Axminster
All great shops.

Hope that helps,
Dan :)

Ta,
Dan

Thanks Dan, I'll look into it. I don't need CNC for this. I already have a full sized lathe. But it is not possible for me to mount and machine tiny parts the way it is. I would rather get a tiny lathe than try to modify my existing lathe. I also want higher precision than the 0.0005" tolerance of my existing lathe. Already tried to make it tighter, and cannot due to poor mfr design and tolerances. I have to farm out work to a good friend in FL for those times I require tolerances of 0.0001" or tighter.

Bob

Hi Dan I thought you had disappeared off the face of the earth, nice to see you here.

As to the lathe, I could not be without one, I would say this one is a great deal for someone close enough to collect.... in fact at that price it has to be worth a 100 mile round trip to collect.

...oh and Jake last package recieved, thanks ;)

Regards rog8811

Grr...
What did I tell you? I still wanted it...

Well, I won't be moving until June, so I guess you could sell it.
You should've told me you were selling it, though...

jake21

i though i sent u a pm ? well if no one takes it before then u can buy it in june