Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: 445nm 50mw Blue Laser Diode - $499

for whatever reason your link gets me a 404 error.. They're probably talking about longitudinal modes instead of transverse modes. While these diodes are likely single-transverse mode, all commercially available laser diodes are multi-longitudinal mode. Longitudinal modes are not usually manifested visually. A laser that is multi-longitudinal mode simply has more than one frequency of standing waves present in the cavity instead of just one. A theoretically perfect laser beam is one with only one frequency (single-longitudinal mode) one transverse mode (TEM00), a small beam diameter and no divergence (0mrad), resulting in an m^2 of 1. Such a beam is impossible in the real world, but lasers that are single-longitudinal mode (SLM) and single transverse with very low divergence are the most highly sought after and most costly. The extremely short cavity length of a laser diode makes SLM operation all but impossible, although I am aware of some research into SLM diodes producing good results.

Last edited:

Hi guys,

To answer questions:

50mw Diodes
Multi Transverse Mode

The optical output power (maximum) is 200mw.

Hope that clears things up. I have 10 available right now buddy has 25 left in Japan. I am entertaining offers to take multiple qtys.

Thanks!

So I'm confused by your specs.. Why are they being sold as 50mW diodes if they're actually 200mW diodes? Is 200mW the maximum listed on the spec sheet? If so, is the 200mW rating CW or pulsed? Do you have a spec sheet that we can see?

Hi, sorry for the confusion. I've attached the spec sheet.

Have 6 left. Thanks!

Attachments

• Blue_DiodesSpecs.jpg
    Blue_DiodesSpecs.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,077
Unfortunately (for you) we have unearthed a source for potential 500mW diodes for $35. It might be best to put these on eBay or somewhere else, as it isn't too well known yet

Rob

And, these have 2.54mm diameter cans. (+/- 0.1). The outer ring/base (the gold part) is 3.8mm (+/- o.3mm) Pretty useless for our housings/application to make a handful of housings for a handful of diodes. Good luck though.

Well to be fair to the OP these do appear to be brand new from Nichia. It would be most excellent if they were singlemode, since the game would seem to have changed today with the discovery that certain new DLP projectors have as many as 24 high-powered multimode 445nm diodes in them.

Wait so you're saying these diodes are only worth $35? Can you link me to that thread? I saw that some guys are pulling apart the Casio projectors - is this the source?

Thanks for the update - that is indeed a gam changer. Nice find! I will reconsider my pricing on these.

Thanks!

I'd be interested at $40 for a diode, but not more I'm afraid. Obviously if you paid lots more than this, then you might not want to, but the offer is there

Rob

I'd be interested at $40 for a diode, but not more I'm afraid. Obviously if you paid lots more than this, then you might not want to, but the offer is there

Rob

Hi Rob,

Unfortunately I cannot come anywhere close to $40 diode.

Thanks for the offer!

Don't worry - I understand.

I reckon you should get them on eBay, before they become mainstream to recoup as much as possible of your investment

Rob

Reminds me of the time when computer memory sticks plummeted overnight.

A friend of mine bought a whole tray of 512 mb sticks at $100 per stick, within a week the going rate was $30 a stick.

it's like playing the stock market, if you bought a bunch of BP stocks a month and a half ago, you would be in the poor house now.