Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: 405-G-1 Glass Lens Mod - 31% Increase vs AixiZ!

Re: FS: 405-G-1 Glass Lens Mod-28% Increase vs Aix

Jay --

I got a ~ 29% increase over a plain old Aixiz plastic lens. I didn't run the plastic too hard for fear of melting it and contaminating my diode window.
Your 405-G-1 is well worth the money. That little rectangle of spill is there on mine too but the beam is so strong -- who cares :D

Mike

jayrob

Really glad to see your input Mike!

Thanks for posting back! :)
Jay

I need one more of your magic lens for my new 8x monster :D
If it's possible could you please add the spring this time ?

jayrob

Sure I'll add a spring for you. You can shorten it... (just remind me when you order)

But just to mention that I can't do this for everyone because then I will not have springs for my AixiZ modules.

The spring can still be used for AixiZ acrylic even if it has been shortened. It is only to put a little tension against the lens nut to help keep the lens from 'wobbling' in the module.

A spring is not even needed if you wrap the metal lens nut with a couple of wraps of Teflon tape! ;) (I use both)

With the plastic AixiZ acrylic, use a sharp knife and 'cross' the threads in about 3 or 4 places around the nut. This will take the 'slop' out of it...
Jay

Um, what do you mean with "cross"?

jayrob

Basically that means to 'damage' the threads in a few places by twisting the knife against them...

Easy to do with the plastic nut. But the metal one works well with a couple of wraps of Teflon.
Jay

Thanks for the clarification. I'll quickly throw in another question: I got an Aixiz glass lens from drlava, which looks different from the pictures in the internet. Basically it's nearly twice as long, with a threaded lower part, a small o-ring and an unthreaded upper part (actually it's one piece). The threaded part goes into the module (it won't focus otherwise), so how do I attach the focusing ring? (I've PMed drlava two days ago, but no response yet; but maybe you've encountered this lens before).

It looks similar; but mine is shorter (10mm vs. 13mm), and I don't think I'd get that one with an Aixiz module for 10$... see pic. The lens assembly sits noticeably loose in the module.

BTW, if this is considered threadjack, just drop me a short line and I'll (re)move it...

Attachments

• Aixiz_glass.jpg
    Aixiz_glass.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 104

jayrob

AixiZ had a few like that, I called them to talk to them personally about my orders to make sure that I did not receive any like that for my 405-G-1 glass lens modifications, and they said that they had a few like that a while back, but are no longer sending that style anymore...
Jay

Thanks, that's what I thought. Looks like I have to glue the focusing ring to the lens housing, then.

jayrob

The lens can be mounted in the smooth end. In the retaining ring area. It will fit sloppy in there, and the remaining I.D. of the lens nut is a tad small, so don't tighten the retaining ring too much or it could easily chip the glass lens because of this.

But that said, it could be mounted in that end, and then you could have the focus ring on there. You may have to either shave the focus ring thinner to get focus. Or just use thread lock and not put it all the way on, but it could work.

In fact, I have one like this for one of my personal builds. :)

Just so that I had a use for the odd lens nut. But the modifications that I am selling, are all the full length threaded nuts, with the extra work of:

* Drilling a larger aperture
* Drilling again to fit the 405-G-1 glass lens on a tiny 'lip'. (as shown in the first post)
* Making a custom spacer to retain the lens.
* Including the finger grip focus ring.

The extra work is worth it. The lens is then mounted properly and will be aligned perfectly. Others may be fitting the lens into the threaded end of the nut and gluing it in place. But this is not a good way to mount the lens. (IMO)

My Meredith glass lens modification fit for AixiZ is the same way. Using a custom spacer/retainer for the glass lens to be fit perfectly aligned, and held in place with the threaded retaining ring against the spacer...
Jay

jayrob said:
Sure I'll add a spring for you. You can shorten it... (just remind me when you order)

But just to mention that I can't do this for everyone because then I will not have springs for my AixiZ modules.

The spring can still be used for AixiZ acrylic even if it has been shortened. It is only to put a little tension against the lens nut to help keep the lens from 'wobbling' in the module.

A spring is not even needed if you wrap the metal lens nut with a couple of wraps of Teflon tape! ;)

With the plastic AixiZ acrylic, use a sharp knife and 'cross' the threads in about 3 or 4 places around the nut. This will take the 'slop' out of it...
Jay

Payment sent ;)

jayrob

Got you covered! It should go out tomorrow. Wednesday at the very latest. I'll keep you informed...

JoseP, your 405-G-1 glass lens mod is shipping today. (Monday) I will make it to the post office before they close.

Thanks!
Jay

Jay

Looks like I got 30% increase using my Coherent LaserCheck.

I can't wait until I build a 8x

Thanks again. Doug

jayrob

Sweet!

Great to keep getting good feedback...

Thanks for posting! :)
Jay