Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: >110mW PHR, >140mW 4x & >170mW 6x Blu-Rays

Re: FS: >110mW Blu-Rays - available

Hey Igor,

Luv your work Bro. This puppy rocks. Got it in like yesterday and already impressed. 405nm may not catch the human eye like 532nm but when it hits the right surface it's kewl as hell! LOL! Thanks for all the hard work. I may end up calling you about another one in the near future.

'Tac'

IgorT

Hey there!

Glad to hear it arrived! And happy, that you like it! :)

They are not bright during the day, but aren't they pretty at night? ;)
Oh, and did you burn something yet? :D

Reminds me i should track the rest of batch #5... See where they are..

Thanks for letting me know! :)

IgorT

I've been saying for a while now, that my blu ray build could even support an open can red at 420mA, but with a duty cycle. I even posted calculations, to proove it.

But i guess i was wrong.....  Duty cycle is not nearly as critical as i imagined.. ;)

Here is my new tiny 420mA open can red, next to it's two siblings. It's doing 278mW after an AR coated lens! That's an amazing amount of power for such a small laser. The host is the same as with my blu rays, only black.

We are used to seeing open cans with huge heatsinks, but the big heatsinks are mostly required because of the linear drivers, which create up to 70% of all heat in a system. Basically, one battery and a part of the other is wasted just on making the laser hot.

I made another similar red a while ago, using the same size host, but with a 16x red at 350mA. That one only does ~200mW. And even tho it's a less powerful diode at a lower current, it gets very hot VERY fast! That's because it's using a Linear driver. It reaches body temp after only 3 minutes, and starts overheating soon after, as the heatsink and the host become saturated with heat..

But if you use a high efficiency switching driver, the only heat created is the heat from the diode. My PHR driver was optimised for blu rays, so it's boost only, and i haven't had the time to make the full buck/boost version small enough yet. So to test the idea, i used a FlexDrive for this build, for the buck part of it's capabilities. I had to cut it down quite a bit, to make it fit, but it worked out well.

Because of the high efficiency of the driver, it takes the 278mW red 11 minutes, to reach body temperature, at which point it starts feeling warm, but it doesn't get hot for a while longer.

During normal use, it doesn't even get warm. I think this proves, that there is more than enough heatsinking for blu rays...

Attachments

• Red_and_Blu_-_LR.JPG
    Red_and_Blu_-_LR.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 96

Helioplasma I don't understand your lack of trust in our IgorT. This guy is not only a great guy who is never going to do anyone dirty, ( it wouldn't even make sense, to do a shady deal to one after investing so much time, money and effort to so well serve so many laser folks), but, he's actually more engaged in comunicating and supporting all the forum people and following up to be sure everyone is well served than any laser company I know of. TRUST is simply not an issue when dealing with IgorT! Personally, I would prefer this guy operate on me if he was a doctor, And I would go out of my way to get laser help from so fine a laser technician, with such a thoughtful and giving nature. IgorT is a rare and very very trustworthy super good guy as many others will attest! lips sealed

Amen scopeguy20!!!! A WORD OF CAUTION to all newbies or otherwise uneducated about lasers.Until I got refered to IGOR (thanks again Daguin). I was ready to throw it all in the garbage. I wasted more money on substandard stuff then paid for repairs for same substandard stuff that if I wrote it all here I'd be crying by the tme I finished. Not only does Igor take the time to educate but has taken lasers from me that he didnt build and has (is) redoing them for me. The guy has actually ordered custom built parts to his specs from Darkhorse in order to give me and my little boy equipment that we can use without fear of breaking the first time it's used. He is a perfectionist that borders on obsessive(sorry Igor). On top of that he took the time and effort to explain what and why he is doing what he is doing. Ive gotten a crash course on lasers without even asking. MY God, Ive got doctors that arent as particular as he is.

Now Im not in the habit of trashing anyone that has skills I dont have but I'm gonna post pics of the products(and I use that term loosely) inner workings that he is repairing for me, they speak for themselves. ANYONE out there that speaks badly of him is doing so for 1 reason and 1 reason only-they cant touch the quality and effort this man puts into this.

Attachments

• Dorcy_parts_-_old_and_new_-_2.JPG
    Dorcy_parts_-_old_and_new_-_2.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 88

another:

Attachments

• Diodes_at_an_angle.JPG
    Diodes_at_an_angle.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 95

3rd one

Attachments

• Diodes_at_an_angle_2.JPG
    Diodes_at_an_angle_2.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 110

PLEASE I beg anyone out there DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE BUYING. And I do know there are others out here that do quality work- that's not what Im saying. JUST BE CAREFUL. IGNORE ALL THE PRETTY PICS YOU SEE ON SOMEONES WEBSITE. Learn and ask questrions!!!!

IgorT

I should have named those pictures "Dead diodes at an angle"... :(

I tried to push the red in, and make it straight, but i bent my insertion tool. Only after taking it out, did i realize i never had a chance. There was some sort of glue under it! The modules weren't even cleaned! In fact, that glue didn't look like any i ever found in modules before. It looked like it was put there, or simply left on in between diode replacements, and then pushed between the diode and the module when a new diode was inserted.

Man, if i didn't know any better, i would think those two lasers were made to break. There was NOT ONE THING done right in there!

I could fill a thread with what was wrong with these. They are the perfect example of how NOT to make a laser. Complaining about any one of the problems just doesn't make sense anymore. This has nothing to do with quality. It's the most basic things - like actually soldering the wires to the driver, especially on the output side, where the connections have to be absolutelly permanent! Instead, the wires were just stuck through the holes in the driver, or at best some solder dabbed on the wire above and below the hole, creating a sort of rotating hinge! :eek:

The weird thing is, there were a few solder blobs (including one shorting a broken diode leg to the base), so the builder obviously doesn't fear soldering. So then why not solder the most important wires (if not all of them, and why not?!?) - at least the ones, that if not soldered, will kill the diode FOR SURE!?!

Now this just doesn't make sense anymore. At first i assumed, that the builder doesn't know how to solder, and/or doesn't care about doing it right. But could it be, that they really were made to break, just to make more money on repairs?

Whatever it was, i don't see how it was any better than scamming. This just upsets me. It's better you didn't tell me where you got these.

As much as it hurts me to tell you this, especially since i know, how much you already wasted on buying them and having them "repaired", what you got there was something worth less, than the sum of it's parts. That's because the parts were set up in a way, that made sure they would kill each other. Even the flexdrive could have been damaged, as it should never be operated without a load (or interrupting connections). Need to test it....

But you WILL get proper lasers out of it! DarkHorse did an amazing job with the heatsinks - they fit like a glove! This time the lasers won't fall appart, from trying to focus.

When you first contacted me and asked if i could reinforce them, i didn't quite understand what you want to have stronger.. That's why i insisted on full length heatsinks - i wanted to make sure everything would be stronger..

Now i see, that even tape would have reinforced these "builds"! But you can be glad DarkHorse was willing to take time to do these. Your lasers will now be like tanks! ;)

caleb

how much for the module only, if anyone wants to sell.
PM me...

IgorT said:
The drivers i sent you and Stan ARE rkcstr's drivers.. ;D
I just soldered them together and changed the current ranges, so they would suit you diodes..

Son of a bitch. You never told me. ;D

rkcstr

Igor asked me to let you guys know he may not be able to answer questions quickly right now, so please be patient  :)

EDIT:

he asked me to say that if you need to contact him, do so via email. He's having some medical issues, which make it difficult to read, so try to cut him some slack if he doesn't get back to you as quickly as you'd like.

IgorT

VillageIdiot said:
[quote author=IgorT link=1210968450/640#652 date=1219600595]
The drivers i sent you and Stan ARE rkcstr's drivers..  ;D
I just soldered them together and changed the current ranges, so they would suit you diodes..

Son of a bitch. You never told me.  ;D[/quote]

I didn't? I'm pretty sure i remember telling you i'll make adjustable micro drivers instead? ;)

IgorT

Anyway, VillageIdiot, did you and Stan get the labels? Did you put them on? :)

At first i couldn't force myself to put them on. Now i can't take them off. :D

I'm going to get my 4th and 5th units of these soon! LOL! I sure love these lasers!
;) :) ;D :D :) ;) ;D :D ;) :) ;D :) :D :eek: :eek: :cool:

IgorT

Man, you're gonna have more than me! :eek:

I only have two at the moment. Still haven't had a chance to finish the third... :(

I think Stan got the labels... he hasn't given me mine yet though.