Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS : 1.4W green 525nm, blue 450nm, and some my builds!

Huh. Is that at 2 amps or was it decreased to 1.8 amps? Apparently, there is some difference in power output,~ 600 mW.

It was decreased to 1.8A, but he had sent this pic to me. Yes batteries were charged. My LPM may not be in PERFECT calibration, but I recently metered a build from rich which showed a very similar number to the one he sent me a pic of

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190920-205441_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190920-205441_Chrome.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 34

Encap

What diode is it supposed to be? What output were you expecting?
It looks about right for a UGM02 see: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrslasershop/home/diodes/nugm02-900mw-520nm-laser-diode but is low output for an NDG7475 see: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrslasershop/home/diodes/ndg-1w-520nm

Also if you notice tung is holding the pointer way too close to the LPM sensor giving an artificially high output reading in his zeal for higher output.
See DTR's thread: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/proper-way-to-use-a-lpm-to-do-a-power-test.105424/

Last edited:
I assume it's a ugm02, it is a 525nm, and I see a clear difference in color between it and my 520nm. Also it is decanned. You're right, dtr's page does show I'm within the normal range for that current. But part of why I got it was I thought it was a freak diode, super efficient. Oh well. Guess I won't make too much of a stink about it. But, there it is. Was disappointed to see that the diode module is not copper, although I knew I was getting an aluminum heat sink. I do like the soft start.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Also if you notice he is holding the pointer way too close to the LPM sensor giving an artificially high output reading in his zeal for higher output.

I noticed that also, I think that may be a significant part of the difference right there.

@Shakenawake - Just out of curiosity, I wonder what the output would be if you held the laser at about the same distance from your meter?

Well the sensor surface is recessed on mine, so I'll place it as close as I can, with the head in the opening...

Didnt make a difference.

Hi,
If this helps when I LPM a Build I set my distance from the Ophir head unit between 10 and 12 inches, and not focused to a fine dot .
Even before I set it in the host I test the diode for efficiency on the PSU. Once in the host when you LPM the build the cells start to drain even at a full charge on new cells. Just my opinion.. sorry little late to the party.
Rich:)

Encap

Well the sensor surface is recessed on mine, so I'll place it as close as I can, with the head in the opening...

Didnt make a difference.
Big differences in LPM quality and function wise. as well.
Your professional Scientech 365 unit is much better quality and more accurate .

Last edited:
I have never calibrated it but it seems to work well enough for my purposes. I think it is still pretty accurate. Like I said it matches what rich had sent me, and every now and then, I shine a 5mW on it to make sure it's still sensitive enough to measure low power. Not even sure how to calibrate it

Of yeah rich, gotta defocus the laser to spread out the power or the sensor will fry, esp. On anything over 1W. If you look in my pic, there is a focal point close to the laser so downrange in the sensor the dot is bigger again

It's built with a brass axiz 12mm module?? :unsure:

Not sure it's even brass

Attachments

• 20190921_115704.jpg
    20190921_115704.jpg
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

GSS

Unless he custom machined the module out of AL, it might be the Axiz module as they plate the brass.
Kinda strange since these high out put 520's put out alot of heat.. Yup though at 1.8A it's on par at close to 1W..

Remember when the 1 watt+ diode used in that pointer were going for $1000 each, Sure are more reasonably priced now.

Well, the good news is I got it. The bad news...
Maybe your LPM is wrong, or my one is wrong!
but I see the sensor distance you measure is far away from me!
I have to measure at such a close distance because my sensor is small, if far away the laser will cover the sensor, so it will deviate power!
You asked me to set 1.8A, I did!
All my parameters are based on LPM!
If you are not satisfied with the product, please send it back to me then I will refund you! thanks very much! :D