Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

From concept to reality - Phobos host (taking orders)

Polishing will work in taking out those small scratches but will scratch just as easily. You got always get it anodized or cerakoted

rhd

I already built mine as a 150mW green using nexbox360's green module and had to do a bit of reworking to get a CR123A in the endcap (read: hogged it out with a Dremel tool!).

As a side note, what do you guys do to protect soft aluminum. Mine is already pretty scratched up. Wondering if polishing would help? It would look nice polished.

Wait, so you mean this isn't set to work with a CR123A by default? I thought this was a CR123A host. Now I'm confused.

I generally polish my aluminum hosts up with diamond paste to get them real shiny, and then I put some mineral oil on them to (in my mind) prevent quick new scratches.

Not sure if it works like that though ;)

It does accept CR123/16340 and 18350 batteries no problem, tested and proved.

tsteele93, ofcourse I always want to listen what people have to say!
So if you just want a longer tube for 18650, alright, but keep in mind it will cost some more because more material is used - I'm thinking $55, fair?

So wait, RHD, you still didn't recieve yours?! That's... of some concern. If you receive the sinks we agreed to trade that other host for before the Phobos, let me know immediately, I'll work out a replacement for you ASAP.

rhd

So wait, RHD, you still didn't recieve yours?! That's... of some concern. If you receive the sinks we agreed to trade that other host for before the Phobos, let me know immediately, I'll work out a replacement for you ASAP.

I wouldn't be concerned. I think it has only been a bit over 4 weeks.

From memory, your packages tend to take about 6 weeks to reach me in Canada, so I think this is normal.

Only 4 weeks? It seems like a lot longer to me for some reason...

Anyway, you keep me posted on the events, let's see what happens.

If its possible can i get one with a longer tube for an 18650 as well while your doing one for
tsteele93? Please
Thanks

So that's two 18650 versions of Phobos? No problem. I'll post back in the thread when they're done.

Wait, so you mean this isn't set to work with a CR123A by default? I thought this was a CR123A host. Now I'm confused.

Yeah, I was too. I don't know if my battery had too thick of a casing, or what the problem was. I could put it in the body fine, but it wouldn't fit in the endcap. Maybe it isn't supposed to fit in the endcap, but with the clicky I ended up using, I needed the battery to fit in the endcap 5-6 mm.

I was able to enlarge it with a Proxxon (think Dremel) tool and a metal cutting bit quite easily.

Come to think of it, that is probably the case since I built it as a green. Normally you would have the neg side of the battery towards the endcap with a spring, so the battery probably doesn't need to extend into the endcap.

For a green, I had a flat contact on the back of the clicky with the positive side of the battery needing to fit into the tailcap to touch the contact.

Yeah the battery was not supposed to fit into the inner diameter of the tailcap, the spring was supposed to make solid contact with the battery, not sure what switch you used but had to have a longer spring.

rhd

Yeah, I was too. I don't know if my battery had too thick of a casing, or what the problem was. I could put it in the body fine, but it wouldn't fit in the endcap. Maybe it isn't supposed to fit in the endcap, but with the clicky I ended up using, I needed the battery to fit in the endcap 5-6 mm.

If you look at the render, it doesn't look like the cell is supposed to fit in the clicky area.

Why did you switch clickies?

If your CR123a had to sit in the tailcap, how freaking long was the spring on your contact board!?!

If you look at the render, it doesn't look like the cell is supposed to fit in the clicky area.

Why did you switch clickies?

I didn't get a clickie - there were problems with Eudaimonium getting them from DX if I recall and another member sent some out. The one I got did not fit so I just found a Lowe's cheap flashlight that had a clickie I could make fit.

I'll have to take pics I guess.

If your CR123a had to sit in the tailcap, how freaking long was the spring on your contact board!?!

It was a green module, so it isn't the spring, it is the driver. Hang on, I'll post a pic from another thread.

Phobos Green by tsteele93, on Flickr

Please keep in mind I will not have this problem with the 18650 version as I will be putting a 445 diode in that build.

Last edited:
Ahh it's a full size module... ok then, that makes more sense.

About the clicky from ARGlaser not fitting, you do know you have to fold down the two metal tabs so it will fit in, and the friction from the tabs holds it in place, right? Unless ARGlaser had different clickies, the one I got from him fit fine this way.

Ahh it's a full size module... ok then, that makes more sense.

About the clicky from ARGlaser not fitting, you do know you have to fold down the two metal tabs so it will fit in, and the friction from the tabs holds it in place, right? Unless ARGlaser had different clickies, the one I got from him fit fine this way.

Yeah, maybe I wasn't trying hard enough - but I did understand how they needed to go in.

Thanks in advance for making them with longer rubes for us, i may need to order a few of the regular ones in the near future depending on if anyone is interested in a completed green laser pointer with my modules i will try offering them once i can make sure ill be able to assemble them.
From the looks of how it went it TST i may need the tube slightly longer to even fit a CR123 in being that it is a full length module as he used the same modules i have and had issues with the "clicky" fitting in the end from what looks to be from the driver board/modules being too long for this host, Maybe there is something you could do about that? I'm not sure if you have any modules like the ones i sell the same one TST used to try some test fitting yourself and see what you would need to lengthen for them to fit properly for me as i may need one here and there for some buyers, and may just order 5-10 in bulk if there is enough interest in hopes that you'll be able to make it all fir properly with my size module.
The picture attached is the module i need to fit in the phobos for future orders to be used with the CR123 batteries or any other 3v battery that fits in them, so should this module based off the measurements fit in your host or is there something you can change slightly to make them fit better if there is size problems?
Just so your not confused the one your making me for now with the longer tube is not for one of these green modules just make it as you normally make them but able to fit an 18650 battery.
Thanks again, i cant wait to get this :)

Attachments

• 150-200mw laser 3v.jpg
    150-200mw laser 3v.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 96
Hmm, I'd need to totally redesign the head and focus adapter things, becauase focus adapter relies on the lens to stay in place - ask tsteele, he had to improvise a way for the focus adapter to stay in place.

I'll see what I can do, keep you posted :)