Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

From concept to reality - Phobos host (taking orders)

DTR

Yep I would keep the superglue away from your expensive lens.:tinfoil:

I have used the two part arctic alumina thermal adheasive sucessfully in the past as I have seen this on a couple of custom direct press heads and almost always on custom focus adapters. On the custom fucus adapters you actually want them that way so you can have a nice flush look with either the single element lenses or the three element lenses. I will just put a small amount in the threads of the focus adapter and just screw the lens in about a turn and a half if I am trying to get the most threading left exposed that I can. That should hopefully leave enough threading for the lens to get close enough to the diode.:beer:

I used to be able to get them for $4.50 each but I can't seem to find that seller. Here is a cheap link on amazon..
http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Alumina-Thermal-Adhesive-Tube/dp/B0009IQ1BU

Last edited:

Y'know if it's good enough for DTR and RHD, it's good enough for me. I just ordered some Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive from NewEgg and I'll glue the lens in place. Eud's bent over backwards for me already, I don't need him breaking a hip =P. I feel much better using AS than cheap epoxy that may or may not fume.

rhd

Y'know if it's good enough for DTR and RHD, it's good enough for me. I just ordered some Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive from NewEgg and I'll glue the lens in place. Eud's bent over backwards for me already, I don't need him breaking a hip =P. I feel much better using AS than cheap epoxy that may or may not fume.

The other benefit, is that you know it can deal with heat. I use AS 2-part adhesive even when thermal conductivity isn't required, but thermal "survival" is. A while back I did a test. I put a 1/2" aluminum plate over an element (to even the heat, more or less), and then used a half dozen "normal" 2-part quick set epoxies, as well as Arctic Silver and Arctic Alumina. In terms of just "surviving" the heat, both Arctic products did better than anything else. The others either liquefied, turned into "gel", or cracked and sort of melted.

Important update:

The standard focusing adapter that comes with the Phobos Host does NOT properly fit a 405-G-2 lens and 12X 405nm diode. The threaded section of the focusing adapter is too long resulting in the lens being threaded in too far in to the adapter and thus the lens cannot go close enough to the diode to focus to infinity or even to a dot ~10ft out. The current work-around is to epoxy (NOT superglue) the lens in place in the focusing adapter at the apropriate position. Again if you install the lens in the focusing adapter until it is snug you will NOT be able to focus your laser beyond a very large spot a couple feet out.

Remember that the standard version for the Phobos has a head which features an aixiz-replacement press-fit diode recepticle and will NOT accept an aixiz module. My host was custom ordered to direct accept a standard aixiz module, so I cannot test if the problem arises with the press-fit aixiz-replacement piece Eudaimonium offers. The Custom Aixiz-Ready version is available upon request but you must be sure to request it.

I'm currently in talks with Eudaimonium for a custom focus adapter which will work with the 405-G-2 lens and will update accordingly.

Eudaimonium has been exceptionally understanding and very responsive to my custom needs and has been providing the best quality work I could hope for. Though my build is still ongoing (still waiting for the custom head section in the mail, and possibly the custom focus adapter) I'm still very pleased with this host. I just can't wait to finish it!

Just one update, I believe you missed it in the OP - the Aixiz replacement part shipped out with first 5 hosts are the only 5 hosts featuring that. After those 5, I have changed the machining process step a bit and now all Phobos will accept standard Aixiz modules.

Reason for that was, as I instructed my dad to machine those out, I found out that after using 12mm drill bit, the hole was far too wide (up to 12.7 mm), so simply using an Aixiz module in that resulted in it being offset too far (by tightened set screw) and focus adapter, having it's lens exactly in the middle, was prevented from fitting over the head of the host.

So that's why I made Aixiz replacements 13mm wide (and further widened the hole to 13mm) instead of all new hosts all together.

So yeah, from now on, don't worry, you can use Aixiz or whatever other standard 12mm modules you like.

This is actually true of quite a few custom focus adapters I've seen. For whatever reason, I find that custom focus adapters almost always thread further than stock Aixiz knobs.

The solution (I wouldn't even call it a "workaround", because it's a perfectly acceptable alternative) is as you've said, to affix the lens with something like epoxy.

The other alternative that works quite well is to use a small spacer between the lens and adapter. It can be almost anything - some aluminum, rubber, whatever you have access to.

It's common because you need to have some lead room to cut threads properly with a tap - even "bottoming" tap needs a few milimeters of headroom and that's where the problems begin, you need to get to the bottoming part of the thread with the lens, in order for it to fit snugly, so it always ends up being deeper than Aixiz rings. I believe they cut them with a cutter made for internal diameter cutting, not with a tap.

Thanks to Sigurthr for bringing this to my attention, I will see if I can't do a re-design of the focus adapter to fix the depth of the thread, I have a few ideas in mind, simple but should do the trick.

I will keep you guys posted.

P.S. Those damned switches still have not yet arrived, for last 4 of you who are waiting for their hosts, if they don't arrive this week, next Monday I'm shipping out all the hosts and organizing a shippment with a third party to have all the switches sent to you. You will need to install them yourself, but it's incredibly simple and you don't need any tools.

Anybody here who keeps 16mm clicky switches like these:
Clicky Switch for Flashlights (16mm 5-Pack) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
On stock?

I will pay you for them and shipping to these incredibly patient guys, so we can resolve this as fast as possible.

clif

If anyone finds a good washer size and type or whatever to fit inside the focus adapter I'd prefer to use this over epoxy, in case my diode dies, then I can switch to a 650 lens, etc. and still use the adapter with having to break it free from the epoxy-lens union :na:

If anyone finds a good washer size and type or whatever to fit inside the focus adapter I'd prefer to use this over epoxy, in case my diode dies, then I can switch to a 650 lens, etc. and still use the adapter with having to break it free from the epoxy-lens union :na:
I can probably dig something like that up, I have a basement full of ... everything. If needed I could probably machine out the needed part to fit in the adapter.

If anybody else has any trouble with G-1 or G-2 lens and adapter, let me know if I can help in any way (washer or machining out a small fitting part), you can have it for free.

clif

I'd bet a small lock washer of the right diameter would do the trick. I'm waiting on my G2 lens before I start on mine... :)

The correct diameter for a washer would be 8mm. I'm not sure what size hole you need inside of it but it would probably have to be as large as possible (maybe 4 to 5mm diameter) for best results.

The correct diameter for a washer would be 8mm. I'm not sure what size hole you need inside of it but it would probably have to be as large as possible (maybe 4 to 5mm diameter) for best results.
Yeah, I'll look into it, I will most likely end up machining the needed parts.
So, you want one?

If you're offering...Fk yeah I do! Haha, I just didn't want to impose any further.

Ofcourse I'm offering.

So, that's one part for now - let me know if anybody else wants them!

easiest thing to do IMO is just wrap a bunch of Teflon tape around it so it will screw super tight into the focus adapter and stay where you want. sorry if this has been mentioned i only skimmed that last few posts :beer:

clif

ooh! mee! gimme gimme gimme! :na:
(not too proud to beg! lol)

'Kay, three pieces so far, no problem. I should have them done today, so I'll let you know how it goes (I'll most likely end up machining them from steel, since I have a lot of thin steel rods and various other parts I won't use most likely).

Edit, oh, Clif: there's a difference between begging and accepting an offer :)

Last edited: