Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

fried diode

Title says it all. What a sad day I loved my 405nm dearly. Guess its time to give laserbtb a try. This sucks!

Thanks I really appreciate it helps knowing lots of other folks have been there. It wasn't the best laser but I loved the host. Going to go ahead and order a 405nm and 650nm fr o m laserbtb

Reactions: ped

ped

Yeah I feel your pain.

I had a powerful 405nm , turned out it was powerful because I was over driving it. suffice to say, it died shortly thereafter :/

405nm is still my favourite wavelength .

Tmack

Also killed a 405nm with a twist of a dial. Gave it to much juice :( and another due to short.

IsaacT

Pics of the host? Sorry to hear about that terrible occurrence. I would say he is in a better place, but the best place for a diode is in a host blasting out some photons.

Ill post pics of host after I get off work.its the nx-50p .. upside is I got a free host to experiment with now if I can get the module out withiut wrecking anything else. 405nm amd 532 are my favs I like the idea of a backlight laser and its a ton of fun light in up fluorescent surfAces with it

IWIRE

I've killed a few myself. First build I was setting up my buck driver hooked to a test load. Voltage on PS was set at 8.2. Got driver dialed in. Unhooked everything. Decided to test my diode before hooking to driver. Hooked diode to PS and hit the on button. Most beautiful 445 flashbulb you ever saw. *facepalm* Note to self : Always check Power supply.
Sorry about your diode. That's always a sinking feeling. The good news is, it can be repaired. It can be made better than it was before.
I wonder what kind of driver is in it. I have seen some of the eBay drivers with pots. I can set the current I want. Lightly tap them on the bench at the current will jump 200ma.
Good luck, hope you get it fixed up!

Oh I will thank ya for the encouragement! I like the host cuz it focuses from like 1mm to infinite and the focusing lenses was always very tight didn't loosen up like alot of lasers do when you unscrew the focus lens.. also it was waterproof to at least a couple ft due to tight fitting o rings and grease and solid connections

Btw ped I really enjoy all the 1337sp34k associated with ur sig and avatars etc lol reminds me of my gaming days

D

Deleted member 16589

Man I know how you feal :(. I have fried more than my fair share of diodes.
I have bad luck with firsts as well.
I fried my first red diode, first 405nm blue ray, first 445 and 808nm c-mount. O__O and lots more.

I've fried three on my latest creation one of them a cherry picked freak. I will fininsh it though hopefully this week.

Sorry to hear about the unexpected departing of your diode. May it R.I.P:(

Thanks Rayz. Btw I see you own one of the "2w" 445s from lucklaser. How do you like it? You are aware the diode is stamped with 1.6w right? They rounded up for that 2w figure.. but I own two and one of which I had a friend put a true 2w diode in.. still the laser is pretty cool I wish I could find more hosts with the threads for putting diffraction grating on the end.. that's one of the coolest aspect of the lucklaser host. Too bad the g ratings are prone to melting or cracking.

Doh, I did not know it was stamped with 1.6w diode! Saw 2W and I honestly believed them :banghead: Oh well, through our mistakes we learn. As to the laser itself, I still haven't received it! It's been stuck in customs in China for the past 3 weeks! So now, the only real 2W power that I have waiting for me is my laser lighter which I'm in the process of gathering all the components. Even there, I have to wait a few weeks for the special 2x 340mAh lipo batteries to get through customs. My frenemy of this year is customs @ China :/

Well dont fret man your laser will come. There's a tiny and I mean tiny Chance customs will stop it. But when you grt it write us a review. Its actually a nice laser. And when focused it still has the power to light matches from the wrong end so its definitely a powerful laser. Just be gentle mine got dropped and now still burns but is mayb e 15% less powerful and has horrible beam specs. Its my carry around laser cuz I cant hurt it anymore without it just not working which is nice. I like having at least one laser I can use without any fear of damaging.

Also why are u waiting for batteries to clear customs? Www.lighthound.com buy AW IMR cells.

Last edited: