Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Freak 803T Diode **A New Mystery**

daguin

Re: Freak 803T Diode **Mystery Solved**

IgorT said:
Dave...

Is your meter showing the same powers as Glenn's meter? I think he said something about you comparing the two....

The last time I took lasers to Glenn's was before I started building them. Certainly before I started experimenting with higher outputs. I have not measured these on another meter. I use a Scientech 365 energy meter with a Scientech 360001 calorimeter. The components have been calibrated together.

Peace,
dave

IgorT

Well, actually i'm interested in Glenn's meter.. Did your other lasers measure the same on both, or were there differences?

I'm asking, so that i could compare my results to yours, to help figure out what max optical flux they can survive..

Daguin

You said that you had trouble screwing in the module.
I think that you may be using the ground along with the other two connections, but isn't that the ground neutral? :-?

There is no way the diode could take that current EVEN if it was dead right?

--hydro

daguin

IgorT said:
Well, actually i'm interested in Glenn's meter.. Did your other lasers measure the same on both, or were there differences?
I'm asking, so that i could compare my results to yours, to help figure out what max optical flux they can survive..

I MAY be going over to Glenn's this weekend. If I do, I'll take a few lasers along to get readings on his meter.

hydrogenman15 said:
Daguin
You said that you had trouble screwing in the module.
I think that you may be using the ground along with the other two connections, but isn't that the ground neutral? :-?
There is no way the diode could take that current EVEN if it was dead right?
--hydro

The trouble I had was the result of me not getting the driver soldered in line with the module. I was very lucky (as with it lasing at all) that I didn't rip the pins off screwing it together. However, it was late, and I didn't feel like desoldering it to straighten it out. I fought with it until it gave me what I wanted. [smiley=evil.gif]

The crystal in the diode is case neutral. That is, it doesn't NEED the case to be grounded to work, just the pins. I had to use the module/heat sink for the negative path to build what I wanted to build. I could have done it without attaching the negative wire by simply relying on soldering the negative pin to the case pin. I decided to use the negative wire as well as a redundant system. It didn't cost any more to have the redundant ground, so I figured I'll be extra sure this way.

NO. The diode should NOT be lasing. It SHOULD be dead. However, it's hard to argue with light coming out of the lens ;)

Peace,
dave

It's the little diode that could! :'( these are tears of joy.
The only reason I thought the third pin was shorting is because the beam is NOT flat.
Can you post pic's of the godly lasers dot and another BR dot?
Is it possible that one the connections was touching when you where screwing it in?
Finally where is the heat most intense on the module.

--hydro15

daguin

Re: Freak 803T Diode **Mystery Solved**NEW MYSTERY

**Shakes head in disbelief**

OK . . . . . I don't have any idea . . . . . . Maybe one of you can figure this out.

I got my HUGE heat sink from Tallaxo today (Thank you Thank you Thank you) so I put my 300mA "experiment" in it to see if it would still light up.

Here it is in the Tallaxo heat sink (155 Grams of aluminum!) Pretty ain't it?
The module is hooked up to my PSU set at 9V
3001.jpg

It lased again! I don't know. You figure it out!!!
3002.jpg

Yep. -- That says 305mW

This can't be -- Can it?

I did a couple of more burns of about 20 seconds each. It just keeps burning

Here is a shot with it being flanked by an 80mW and a 180mW blu-ray. It is ever so slightly more bright, eh? ;)
3003.jpg

I just couldn't stand it. I HAD to see this in the sky before it died, so I put it in an MXDL. This is the old style Rkcstr driver so I have three 10440's in the tube. They are freshly charged so it is now getting just over 12V. <shakes head again> Here it is
3004.jpg

You're right again -- That says 318mW of blu-ray :eek:

I took it outside

It . . . . is . . . . . stunning!

I will try to figure out a way to get a beam shot of it going into the night sky tomorrow night.

It can't keep this up, can it?

I have to go to bed. The alarm goes off in 4.5 hours. I'm going to be seeing blu-ray beams in the night sky in my dreams tonight.

I will leave you to ponder this. I have absolutely NO explanation. This little PHR-803T diode is getting a full 300mA of current at 12V and putting out 318mW of light after AixiZ acrylic lens

**walks away muttering to himself**

Peace,
dave

jayrob

Man Dave... 318mW's! :eek:

Wonder why it does not just instantly die at 300mA's??

Does it hold steady at 318mW's for the 20 seconds? Or does it start to drop?
Jay

IgorT

Omg Dave! Llast time, when you said it dropped to 180mW, i thought it degraded, but that was just efficiency dropping from heat! And it survived that too! :eek:

People have killed 6x diodes with less.

This thing is creating at least 1.5W of heat! That's over 50% more than an open can! :eek: Possibly even more, since the Vf could be way above 6V at this current.

I'm so jealous... and I thought 205mW looked amazing.... Dave, can I fly out to your place to see this thing before it dies? :D

he's about 6 hours from me HE HE HEE HEE HE ;)

He's probably about 20 from me  :p

Better yet... dave, just shine it up into the air towards washington, I'll shine the 375mW 532 back at ya. But, you know what they say, never cross beams.
oopsie.gif

It is all about getting rid of that heat. Daguin was kind enough to build me a superb module for testing, it contains a Rkcstr driver set at 180mA outputting 175mW after an acrylic AixiZ lens.

I received it this morning (Thank you very much Dave) and pressed the module into a heatsink I had already prepared for it. I ran it at 180mA for 30 minutes and monitored the skin temperature of the module using a type K thermocouple. It never got more than 1 degree hotter than the ambient room temperature.

I am still blown away by the sheer power of these diodes. With good passive or forced air cooling, you can have some really impressive duty cycles at some great powers. The weakest link in the chain is the AixiZ module itself and its ability to transfer heat from the diode to the outer casing to be sucked away by the heatsink.

The finished article:

Jase.

ps. Igor, I have not forgotten you. I will contact you soon.

Attachments

• Daguinmodule1.jpg
    Daguinmodule1.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 92

So what happens to a 300 ma red driver when you run it at 9v's. :-/

--hydro15

daguin

jayrob said:
Man Dave... 318mW's! :eek:
Wonder why it does not just instantly die at 300mA's??
Does it hold steady at 318mW's for the 20 seconds? Or does it start to drop?
Jay

There is an artifact of (at least Scientech) thermopiles. They show an initial "overreaction" to being hit with calories. I stopped reporting the initial "peak" after I realized that the same laser will give the same initial "peak" if the laser is removed from the thermopile and then returned to it WITHOUT turning off the laser. It takes the thermopile a bit to "settle down" to the diodes true power.

It takes about 5 seconds for the reading to stabilize at the reading I report. It then varies by less than 3mW (both up and down) over the remaining 15 seconds. I ran it for up to about 30 seconds at a time, when I took it outside. It has about 4 minutes total burn time as of now. I have not measured a longer burn yet. I do NOT believe that it can last at this current. I would not have believed it could live at this current. I want to just enjoy this. Most of my burns will be outside with the beam shining into the sky and onto the trees at the end of the block ;)

hydrogenman15 said:
So what happens to a 300 ma red driver when you run it at 9v's. :-/
--hydro15

The original Rkcstr drivers were designed to "take" up to 16V without burning out. That is the only way I was able to run my high powered blu-rays (above 150mW) with the 10440's. The newer model is only able to "take" 12V. This is going to be a problem with the battery configurations available. Two fully charged 3.6V batteries will give up 8.2V. That may be too little to drive these diodes at the powers that I do. However, three fully charged 3.6V batteries gives more than 12V. This may force me to only using a boost driver (unless we can talk Rkcstr into changing it back)

Tallaxo said:
It is all about getting rid of that heat. Daguin was kind enough to build me a superb module for testing, it contains a Rkcstr driver set at 180mA outputting 175mW after an acrylic AixiZ lens.

I received it this morning (Thank you very much Dave) and pressed the module into a heatsink I had already prepared for it. I ran it at 180mA for 30 minutes and monitored the skin temperature of the module using a type K thermocouple. It never got more than 1 degree hotter than the ambient room temperature.

You are very welcome. I think I got the better end of the deal here ;)

GooeyGus said:
I'm so jealous... and I thought 205mW looked amazing.... Dave, can I fly out to your place to see this thing before it dies? :D

Y'all are always welcome in my home. It may be a while before it dies though. I woke up this morning remembering that there are new, better lenses coming soon. I think I'm going to wait on burning this thing again until I have one of the new lenses. I have seen 318mW of blu-ray in the nighttime sky. I would like to see 380mW (318 = 20% increase with the new lens) in the night sky (even if I only get to see it once)

Peace,
dave

IgorT

Tallaxo said:
ps. Igor, I have not forgotten you. I will contact you soon.

Hehe, i'm in no rush... :)

I appreciate you doing this at all! Thanks again!