Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FOUND: Someone who can cut Aixiz backs in half.

Re: LF: Someone who can cut Aixiz backs in half.

Can't you Hire tools ??? I'm sure it wouldn't cost that much to hire a dremel for a day or something similar ???

I don't even have a dremel here ;)

Even *I* have a dremel, and I don't do much with tools. LOL :)

I'd offer to try and cut them with it for you, but I suspect that me doing it that way would hardly fit the definition of efficient.

GBD

PM sent.

rhd

Can't you Hire tools ??? I'm sure it wouldn't cost that much to hire a dremel for a day or something similar ???

It's easy to take such things for granted.

I live downtown, miles from a hardware store, without a car. To get to a hardware store would mean renting a car for the day, or taking 45 minutes worth of public transit twice. Not to mention the fact that renting something like a dremel really isn't a highly efficient option even ignoring the access cost of getting one in the first place ;)

You take a lot for granted when you're in a rural or small-ish city. Having lived in both, I know. Grabbing X or Y tool can be simple. Hop in the car, zoom over to the hardware store, etc. Maybe grab a $40 dremel on sale, and keep it in your garage for other rainy day tasks.

When you live in a downtown core, and have a relatively small living space, those kind of tasks become five or ten times more complex. Any time you don't have to find a place to store something, it's a bonus, and anytime you can avoid a trek out to the big box retailers that are invariably located 30 minutes from the bulk of the city, you're laughing. The closest hardware store might be 2 hours of return travel time from where I am now, but the post office is just an elevator button away.

Believe it or not, I really did weigh the opportunity cost of finding a way to do this myself, versus paying someone else to do it. I couldn't think of any approach that wouldn't either take me 3 months to get to, or require that I dedicate half a day to the project ;)

Last edited:
RHD, got a Dremel or equivalent? I can chop the back off one in 15 seconds with my Milwaukee handhled and a cutting wheel.

Nevermind, I just saw the post before mine.

But, my Milwaukee is the MOST handy tool I have and does everything from grinding to cutting to polishing. You really should get yourself one!

Last edited:

JLSE

To cut these, I would suggest a small pipe cutter. Simple, fast, and clean.. Put
the casing in a drill chuck and it should take 5 seconds without leaving a messy
finish.

K+S296-250.jpg

Last edited:
i'm getting ready to buy a bunch of these from aixiz for $.50ea.
need em for press tools.

rhd

Aixiz sells them with the backs cut off?

Side-question, do you know if Aixiz is ever going to create mounts for 3.8 or 9mm ?

LaZeRz

I think he just means aixiz backs since they are used to centre his diode press tools.

rhd

I think he just means aixiz backs since they are used to centre his diode press tools.

Yep - my question about 3.8 / 9 mm was completely unrelated.

I didn't know that they sold the module rears with backs cut off, but I was also curious to know if they'd be selling complete 3.8 or 9mm modules.

oh I don't know about the 3.8 or 9mm modules.

I just sent an e-mail requesting to buy the backs so i could use them for the diode presses and they told me $.50ea., which is what i was giving people on here for them anyways.

I had planned to get some modules machines from that emachineshop but that minimum tolerance scares me, and i don't want to order 500 of them and they all be useless, i also don't want to spend $20 on 1 and wait 2 months to see it to know if they turn out okay.