Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Focusing Laser Host Deal

Odic

Hi, wow this is really nice...
I have a few questions if you don't mind:
-What is the needed battery if you're using the blu ray driver you're showing above?(I saw you said two CR2 batteries but i wanna be sure if it's the same with blu ray.)
-I am almost sure i'll buy a kit with the blu ray driver but i dont have the needed experience and tools to set the output current on the driver, so would you mind setting it for me if i tell you what i need? I'll add a supplement if needed.
-Does the aluminum diode housing work as a heatsink?
Thank you in advance.
Anthony.
Hi Anthony,
I used 2 x CR2 batteries for both builds.
Setting the current for the blu ray driver is not so tricky because it uses one or two resistor chips to set the current - there is no pot to adjust. The driver includes resistors to give three current levels depending on what diode you are using. Because the circuit board is pre-tinned, a technique I use is to place the resistor in position on the board and touch one end with a hot, fine-tipped soldering iron, this will tack it in place, then solder the opposite end normally (i.e. bring the solder iron and wire together at the same time as you touch the point you are soldering). Then resolder the 'tacked' end 'normally' to give a nice bright joint.
The diode housing acts as a heatsink since it is a reasonable chunk of metal, it screws directly into the tubular body so can transfer heat to the tube too.
Cheers
Jon

Odic

Hi Jayrob,

It is a standard 'AixiZ' size thread so your lens mod should fit fine.

The kit is, in effect, a 'new style dilda' less the diode and driver. I hesitated to describe it that way because of the minor variations between different manufacturers/assemblers of this style laser. This is most like the HLP18130 made in the last half of 2009 except the aluminum diode mount is slightly thicker to try and give more thermal mass.

I think it should go well with your lens to give a cheap and easy build. ;)

Cheers

Jon

Thanks a lot for your answer Odic,
So, that means i can use a 300mw 8x blu ray diode without needing an aditional heatsink?
Is the lens AR coated?
If i wanna use that 8x diode, the driver you're offering won't be suffisent, right?

Last edited:
Got my stuff today.

All looks good, but tail caps missing. A note was there to say they will be sent soon though.

All in all, a very good seller, items were well packaged, and very good value.

Rob

Thats weird. I wonder if mine will have the tail caps? I have all the parts for the build now and it would be nice to be ablt to turn them on after they are all built.

yobraisel, If you don't mind me asking, what did you choose for driver and diode?

I am surprised the shipment wasn't delayed for the tail caps. I imagine postage is not cheap. I too wonder if all the orders will be without the tail cap.

Last edited:
Are those protected batteries? I assume not because maybe protected are longer? Have you found a good source for the CR2 batteries?

Odic

Got my stuff today.

All looks good, but tail caps missing. A note was there to say they will be sent soon though.

All in all, a very good seller, items were well packaged, and very good value.

Rob

:yabbem:
Sorry! This is what comes from asking the wife to help pack! - they should not have gone out, the label on the pack was actually left from some I was getting machined out to take a split green module... I was wondering where they had gone :thinking:
The others are all complete. I will put the caps in the post.
Cheers
Jon

Unprotected, They sell them on ebay. From HK though.

EDIT: I found a post that clears up my battery questions.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/rechargable-cr2-battery-48223-2.html#post657564

So are you ordering 3.6v or 3.0v? I assume you are ordering 3.6v (4.2v fully charged).

I am looking at getting these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Juice-Brand-Rec...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0e012a09

Interestingly the one with the charge claims 3.7v and the individual batteries claim 3.6v. I assume they are the same though.

Last edited:
Yeah get those juice brand ones. I have some and they are great. I would have ordered those but I could not find them. Bummer.

mmmkay.

Ive built one of these up, and the lens doesn't get close enough to the diode for a BR laser. Can't focus to infinity at alll.
I;ll play about for a bit to see if I can solve the problem

Rob