Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

flashlight/edc thread

Dereelight C2H>>>>>>it puts out 245 lumens (After the lens and reflector) and it's like the size of my pinky. LOL

C2H Cree XP-G R5 Flashlight

I Love this light.

FYI: Also a great company to buy from....flashlightconnection.com
No, I don't personally know the person who owns the site, however, I have bought through them enough times to know that their service is outstanding. They ship with in hours after you pay them and they are located in California. A++++

Dereelight C2H>>>>>>it puts out 245 lumens (After the lens and reflector) and it's like the size of my pinky. LOL

C2H Cree XP-G R5 Flashlight

I Love this light.

FYI: Also a great company to buy from....flashlightconnection.com
No, I don't personally know the person who owns the site, however, I have bought through them enough times to know that their service is outstanding. They ship with in hours after you pay them and they are located in California. A++++

sweet! It reminds me of the MiNi 123, it's a ridiculously small CR or RCR123 light that puts out somewhere above 189 OTF lumens in a ridiculously small package.

UV (black light) is very useful identifying traces of rodents. Their urine and feces glow. People have used them for years in warehouses, etc. to check for evidence of mice and rats.

Here in the southwest, they're used to find scorpions hiding, which also glow under UV.

I bought mine to check hotel rooms. Sheet stains, dirty bathrooms ect.

I took my DX uv light to a hotel with me once. I was able to see some stains on the sheets, just barely though.

Is a chemical required for the lower wavelength uv lights? (like ~380nm or below) I've seen a few for sale that are under $120 but have been reluctant to buy one yet.

^I'm pretty sure, like Cyparagon said, you need a chemical that binds with proteins and becomes fluorescent. Blood and other stains are not fluorescent on their own-I've taken blood from a cut I got (at night, I scraped myself walking) and shined UV on it, nothing happened.

My EDC?

Springfield Armory XD-9 service model, carried in a SERPA CQC Level II retension holster, w/ an extra Springfield Armory XD mag (either 10- or 16 rounds), for a total of 21 - 27 rounds of 147gr JHP personal defense ammunition... also a StreamLight Scorpion flashlight and a Spyderco Native folding knife.

It might seem like a lot (or overkill) to some to carry stuff like that, but doing so saved my life one day (vs. two armed robbers).

This thread reminds me that I need to make another ballistic nylon combo carrying case for my flashlight and spare mag....

Last edited:
^overkill? Naw. The moment I turn 21 I'm getting my ccw (didn't anyone think that being able to drink and carry on the same day is a bad idea?), and I'll start practicing with a handgun when I turn 18. Although I sometimes think a spare mag is overkill. I'd be more than happy with 6+1 rounds in a PF9 or similar pocket carry pistol. I already carry a S&W folder. (my school is pretty well-armed for a high school :D )

Last edited:

Arayan

^I'm pretty sure, like Cyparagon said, you need a chemical that binds with proteins and becomes fluorescent. Blood and other stains are not fluorescent on their own-I've taken blood from a cut I got (at night, I scraped myself walking) and shined UV on it, nothing happened.
I confirm that said previously, however sometimes it is possible to see something on a very smooth and uniform surface without reagents. I use this bactericidal mini-bulb :)

Attachments

• IMAG0306.jpg
    IMAG0306.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 242
^overkill? Naw. The moment I turn 21 I'm getting my ccw (didn't anyone think that being able to drink and carry on the same day is a bad idea?), and I'll start practicing with a handgun when I turn 18. Although I sometimes think a spare mag is overkill. I'd be more than happy with 6+1 rounds in a PF9 or similar pocket carry pistol. I already carry a S&W folder. (my school is pretty well-armed for a high school :D )
Being ABLE to drink and carry on the same day is a fine idea. But DOING it isn't. Whenever I carry (in public, like at a restaurant), I choose NOT to drink alcohol. Not because it's against the law (which it isn't here in Delaware), but because certain things just don't mix, and aren't a good idea, no matter how "in control" you think you might be. Of course, a judge will be harder on you if he knows you were drinking before you did something stupid with a gun. LOL. (That's a general statement, not directed at anyone).

Also, as for carrying a spare mag, I don't do it because I think I'll be in a gunfight and need 20+ rounds (although you never know). I do it just in case the magazine IN my gun fails somehow. That way, I can always drop it and insert another. Face it: without a functioning magazine, a gun is just a paperweight.

Being ABLE to drink and carry on the same day is a fine idea. But DOING it isn't. Whenever I carry (in public, like at a restaurant), I choose NOT to drink alcohol. Not because it's against the law (which it isn't here in Delaware), but because certain things just don't mix, and aren't a good idea, no matter how "in control" you think you might be. Of course, a judge will be harder on you if he knows you were drinking before you did something stupid with a gun. LOL. (That's a general statement, not directed at anyone).

Also, as for carrying a spare mag, I don't do it because I think I'll be in a gunfight and need 20+ rounds (although you never know). I do it just in case the magazine IN my gun fails somehow. That way, I can always drop it and insert another. Face it: without a functioning magazine, a gun is just a paperweight.

Good point. And good idea about the second one, I hadn't though of a magazine being responsible for FTF. And you see all these guys on youtube, like nutnfancy who carry 3 or 4 spare magazines and act like they're gonna have to fight the russian army on the way to work :crackup:

Well, if your magazine isn't working, then it ain't feeding your autoloader, and you ain't shooting. Not good if you NEED to be shooting.

Any failure (fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to eject, stovepipe, etc) could be a matter of life and death. So I bring a spare mag along just in case of a feeding issue from my loaded mag.

Lately I've been carrying this flashlight from DX DealExtreme: $22.26 Ultrafire WF-503C Cree R2-WC 5-Mode 250-Lumen LED Flashlight with Assault Crown (1*18650). My friends call it the face corer. EDC is my Cold Steel Voyager X2. I almost got arrested by a cop who said it was a gravity knife, about a year ago. I wrote Cold Steel about my experience and received a reply from the president of the company. He told me what the cop (they respect all LE/Military personnel) didn't like was the 6" blade, and that every court case they helped in (gravity knife charges), the case was dropped. He also said that he personally carrys TWO X2s on him at all times :)
Oh yeah, the cop said I should carry a Glock instead.

^lol
I love it when a company leader really buys into their products. And I figured by your name you used a cold steel knife, not that hard to figure out :crackup: I was gonna get that light, but decided to get my maratac instead. The cops around here probably won't arrest you for carrying a gravity or switch knife, they're pretty open minded about that kind of stuff. Once, when there was a project going on to replace all the signs on a road, the cops let my friend and his dad drive around and shoot all of the stop signs with silenced ruger mk IIs :D :crackup:

This thread brings up an important issue that everyone should address regarding the carry of knives. I don't know about other Countries, but here in the USA, each State has its own laws as to the legality of carrying knives, how to carry, what's considered concealed, if you need a concealed carry permit, length of blade permitted, type of knife permitted/prohibited (fixed, folding, switchblade, spring-assist, gravity), etc.

Be sure to check into your own laws where you live and where you carry so you don't get into trouble. Knives are weapons, and weapons offenses can be pretty hefty, depending on which law was broken.

For knives in Delaware (from the Delaware Code, Title 11, Chapter 5, Subchapter VII, Subpart A):

§ 1446. Unlawfully dealing with a switchblade knife; unclassified misdemeanor.

A person is guilty of unlawfully dealing with a switchblade knife when the person sells, offers for sale or has in possession a knife, the blade of which is released by a spring mechanism or by gravity.
§ 1452. Unlawfully dealing with knuckles-combination knife; class B misdemeanor.

A person is guilty of unlawfully dealing with a knuckles-combination knife when the person sells, offers for sale or has in possession a knife, the blade of which is supported by a knuckle ring grip handle.
§ 1453. Unlawfully dealing with martial arts throwing star; class B misdemeanor.

A person is guilty of unlawfully dealing with a martial arts throwing star when the person sells, offers for sale or has in possession a sharp metal throwing star.
Yes, these are "only" misdemeanors regarding knives, but blade length is important to know:

Title 11, Chapter 2:

§ 222. General definitions.

(5) "Deadly weapon" includes a "firearm", as defined in paragraph (12) of this section, a bomb, a knife of any sort (other than an ordinary pocketknife carried in a closed position), switchblade knife, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles, slingshot, razor, bicycle chain or ice pick or any "dangerous instrument", as defined in paragraph (4) of this section, which is used, or attempted to be used, to cause death or serious physical injury. For the purpose of this definition, an ordinary pocketknife shall be a folding knife having a blade not more than 3 inches in length.
This 3" limitation is the difference between being within the law, and carrying a concealed deadly weapon without a license (which is a felony here).

Just do your homework on your State's or Country's laws, and you'll be fine.

Last edited: