Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Flashlight drivers?

Blord

You could remove the stock resistor and replace it with a R150 resistor. That gives a nice 1.67A current. I am not fond running this driver at the max of 1.8A or 2A. It will heat up very fast at these amp level.

Last edited:

I would like to do some builds with a driver that would let me operate the laser in different modes, like high, low, strobe, etc...

Would any of the multi-mode drivers here be suitable?

I'm not really interested in MAX mW as much as maybe stepping down a little from max current (depending on the type of diode) and building a reliable laser with some interesting modes.

Circuit Board for Flashlights - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I would like to do some builds with a driver that would let me operate the laser in different modes, like high, low, strobe, etc...

Would any of the multi-mode drivers here be suitable?

I'm not really interested in MAX mW as much as maybe stepping down a little from max current (depending on the type of diode) and building a reliable laser with some interesting modes.

This is also what I would like to see, I have no use for really high powered lasers (although they are really cool) but small power adjustments, maybe just enough for like indoor/outdoor pointing use between 5-15mw, and strode, SOS signal, something like that.
Something like that with the single mode 445 diode would be sweet.

rhd

This IC claims to have PWM, though admittedly it's not clear to me how you'd implement it. It does seem like you might be able to just sever the connection to pin 2, and interject some sort of strobe effect generating circuit in between.

Where would I go about finding one of these R150 resistors and which one would I need to drive it at 1.8A or 2.0A?

Thanks for any help.

Glenn

You could remove the stock resistor and replace it with a R150 resistor. That gives a nice 1.67A current. I am not fond running this driver at the max of 1.8A or 2A. It will heat up very fast at these amp level.

try mouser, farnell,

which ever is cheaper for your country :beer:

Blord

I bought a set R250,R200,R150 and R100 from a local electronic shop. It was expensive. You should buy from the shops mention above.

lower value resistors are more expensive and you should consider the tolerance.. 5% is very cheap, 1% is more expensive and 0.1% are very expensive and aren't available for most low values.

1% is a good choice though at reasonable price :beer:

lower value resistors are more expensive and you should consider the tolerance.. 5% is very cheap, 1% is more expensive and 0.1% are very expensive and aren't available for most low values.

1% is a good choice though at reasonable price :beer:

Good info for us noobs!

Thanks,