Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Laser >5mW, purchased local

I'm still thinking about which burning laser to get, but a co-worker happened to purchase a green laser pointer at the local Aahs Store in the Del Amo Mall, Torrance, CALIF. and it turns out to be >5mW. After seeing his, I drove down to pick one up, $19.99 plus tax. I have no idea who makes it, but it seems to feel solid and well made.

The name on the box says, "P.I.I KS-913" and an internet search showed the following supplier:

Green Laser Pointer Single Beam | PII Industries Inc.

A close look on the label says, "<30mW", sorry, but I have no meter to test this. Worse yet, I still don't have laser safety glasses and my "testing" is limited to closing my eyes and feeling the beam with my hand (I feel a slight warmth), looking for ZERO aircraft at night and shooting it up in the sky. It is VERY bright compared to my <5mW Green Pointer.

A measurement of the current required from the two 1.5V AAA batteries shows about 200mA when turned on.

I did try to get a shot of the beam without smoke, but it proves to be harder than I thought. The hall was very dark and I had to shoot this with my eyes closed. (I'm taking no chances here.)

Maybe I over paid for it, but it's something to play with until I get something a bit more powerful. The safety glasses are being ordered too.

Bob Diaz

Nice review!

That was one of my first lasers too. It was about 2 years ago, before I got into the laser hobby :p
I picked it up at one of those sketchy stores at the beach (Myrtle Beach, to be exact) for $30. I had to bargain with him to come down from $35. He was trying to charge extra for the PACKAGING! Well whatever, I got it for $30 and I loved it. But now I know it was a huge rip-off haha.
I have no idea what power it was, or what i claimed to be, because I lost it lol. But it was pretty dang bright and I could see the beam in a semi-lit room.

That laser is probably overspec, but there's no way to tell unless you get it metered. I'm sure any vet on the forum would be happy to measure it for you (or I could do it, if you want).

I'm glad you've been careful with it thus far. You only get two seeing balls! However, as far as using without goggles goes, you should be alright shining it inside as long as you don't shine it on anything reflective or stare at the dot for very long. Still make sure you're careful though ;)

Have fun with your laser! :yh:
Adam

EDIT: Tha Greenlander: I wrote this as you posted. Not trying to contradict anything you said about the goggles. Didn't even see your post til after I published mine :p

Last edited:
have the same pen, its the typical laserpen u can buy on ebay for like 5-7$ it sure is overspec alot then stated on mine 10mw too.

Thanks everyone, the funny part is that the store has no idea of the dangers of this product. I assume that high school age and college are people are buying this. The store caters to the younger crowd. Inside there's zero warning as to the danger, except for the small print on the label. I can picture that someday someone is going to burn their eyes and there will be a big lawsuit over it.

Over the weekend I'm going camping, so I want to shot a time exposure of my pointing the laser into the sky. Who knows, it might make an interesting photo.

I live in the LA area, so if anyone is in Southern California with a meter and doesn't mind doing a test, let me know.

Adam,

Thanks for the offer, but NC is a bit too far a drive from California. :D

Bob Diaz

Sounds like you got quite a good one, especially if you feel a sting on your hand. Is it a very very thin beam? I have one that has a razor thin beam, really thin for 532 so it makes it seem very bright. To be honest I like these pens, if you get one that doesn't break it's not a bad little laser.

It's not so much a sting I feel, but a warm spot. The beam seems tight, BUT because the safety glassed have not arrived yet, other than shooting it up in the air, I avoid looking at it.

kilter

my first laser was one of these that I bought in shanghai for 60 yuan! I had so much fun with it until I shone it under the water becasue the packaging said it was waterproof! XD Lol stupid old me!