Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fireflies attracted by green laser

Just an idea on the blu ray/bats thing....
For fly zappers in restaraunts they use UV light to attract the bugs, as the blu ray is in the uv zone maybe you are getting a concentration of midges and mosquitos in and around the beam, the bats are just taking advantage of an easy food source.

Regards rog8811

Yeah, rog now that you mention it, I do think that this is occurring, because the bat flies around the beam don't see exactly what he is doing, but your explanation does seem logical and is probably what is going on, I can now brag that I feed bats at night :-/ hehe

brtaman

GooeyGus said:
I've never seen a firefly in person  :(

Do they really glow as they fly? That must be really cool to see if theres a big swarm of them.

Fireflys live in areas with warm humid summers... eastern US and eastern Canada have fireflys.

Here in Korea only the rural areas have them. When I lived in Japan every July and August you'd see them in the rice fields... In Japanese they are called Hoteru

Things

We get fireflies in Australia?? You have to basically look for them, but go out far enough and you can find them. I notice that with bugs at night. I shine my laser up and notice flashes in the beam

I always thought fireflies lived everywhere. ::) I never have thought much of them because I've always seen them, but I think I might have to take a video of the fireflies tonight to show you guys that haven't seen them what they look like. In a dark field the fireflies do look pretty cool.

JLSE

styropyro said:
I always thought fireflies lived everywhere. ::) I never have thought much of them because I've always seen them, but I think I might have to take a video of the fireflies tonight to show you guys that haven't seen them what they look like. In a dark field the fireflies do look pretty cool.

Floating green LED's :)