Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Feeler: Group Buy of laser light dispersion fiber.

Rivem

EDIT: With a resurgence of interest, I'm willing to try again. If you're interested, I need to know what length and if you want connectors. There are small laser modules with connectors available as well if anybody's interested. Otherwise, you'll have to fiber couple a laser yourself.

I just wanted to see if anybody's interested in a product called Fibrance made by Corning. It looks similar to EL wire. The basic way it works is that you couple a laser to one end, and the fiber lights up along its entirety with the laser light instead of just transmitting it like normal fiber optics.

The only concrete price is that the development kit is $500 (comes with some nice looking laser pointers). Not too sure on other prices, but they shouldn't be nearly that high. There are laser modules available in single colors or RGB that can be coupled to Fibrance fibers as well.

Check out the products listed here: https://www.corning.com/in/en/produ...s/specialty-fiber/light-diffusing-fiber2.html

Let me know what you're interested in.

Edit: The fiber itself should be less than $20 per meter. I'll get back when Corning does.

Last edited:

Pman

Pretty interesting stuff with lost of cool applications. I'm confused as to what that $500 kit includes that makes it that expensive. Looks like you get 3 <5mW fiber coupled lasers and a small amount of wire.
Is this corning as in corning glass out of NY?

Rivem

Pretty interesting stuff with lost of cool applications. I'm confused as to what that $500 kit includes that makes it that expensive. Looks like you get 3 <5mW fiber coupled lasers and a small amount of wire.
Is this corning as in corning glass out of NY?

Dev kit comes with 16 meters (52 feet) of the fiber with connectors ($380 from hobby reseller) and custom laser pointers apparently made by Osram themselves. I'd imagine they add the most cost, and they should have gone with a simpler visual fault finder style pointer.

Yes, this is the Corning based out of NY. I've asked where the Fibrance producer is, but it's likely to be near headquarters. If a group buy happens with shipping as an issue, we'd definitely want to have it shipped to somebody nearby.;)

Last edited:
That does look pretty nice, and more uniform and brighter than those sparkle fiber optics. I tried using a laser with the sparkle fiber and it looked pretty good, but the biggest problem was finding a consistent method to couple the light into the end since it was usually just some bundle of fibers held together with some clasp.

At least it's not EL wire though.

Get me the wire and connectors. I've made plenty of optical network cable.

I would like to bundle lasers via of fiber, but the numerical aperture at the fibers end would need to be conducive to producing an infinity focused beam.

That would be very nice to use 7 NUBM06 diodes all mounted for heat dissipation then bundled in a 7 fiber array of 1 surrounded by 6.

D

Deleted member 16589

Ill have to look into this a bit more but yea at first glance I may be interested. ive been wanting to get some electroluminescent wire for lightpainting this may be a good substitute.

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Have you ever tried sanding regular PMMA fiber optic with ~400 grit?
il_fullxfull.463525284_7i2e.jpg

That's from my etsy shop. The glowing part of the fiber I sanded, the bright spots are where i nicked it with a razor knife. The Corning fiber sounds like glass fiber with a textured surface so it 'leaks' light.

D

Deleted member 16589

Get a quote for a spool I am definitely interested.

On the Corning web site, it says "standard lengths of 1,5 and 10 meters".
I'd be interested in 2 5m pieces. no connectors

Last edited:

Rivem

On the Corning web site, it says "standard lengths of 1,5 and 10 meters".
I'd be interested in 2 5m pieces.

You're correct. If anybody else would like some, please convey the amount in these lengths and connectors or not.

A spool will be really long, and the termination might be difficult.

D

Deleted member 16589

How much do you think you'd want? Would you like connectors?

I'm willing to try this again if we can pull a decent order together.

IDK it depends on the price I would only want a few feet of it.

Antharak said it comes in 2 5 10 Meter lengths what does a 5m length with ends cost

Also Ask them what the gauge of the fiber is I have access Fiber splicing equipment Depending on the gauge I could maybe put ends on for us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rivem

IDK it depends on the price I would only want a few feet of it.

Antharak said it comes in 2 5 10 Meter lengths what does a 5m length with ends cost

Also Ask them what the gauge of the fiber is I have access Fiber splicing equipment Depending on the gauge I could maybe put ends on for us.

Okay. I'll try to get some more details and pricing within the next week.

We'll see how the pricing works out, and maybe we can ship a spool to you or Dr_Evil if we get the interest.

Personally, I'd like 5-10 meters depending upon the price. I'm also going to try to see how much their laser modules are just in case.