Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Feedback on laser design and sale!

Hi I’m after some feedback!

I haven’t had a custom design build of mine sit for this long before, I was positive that this build would be a quick sale, I had a few very nice comment from the usual fans, but that’s it, NUBMO8 is cheap but 455nm So posibbly brighter than the NUBM44 at 7w and nicer wavelength in my opinion,
Gball intact for all those worried about longevity and degradation and Pops straight off if a G2 is preferred, It’s a 2 piece laser with a popular blue led angle eye momentary, It takes one bat,
Popular SXB that just can’t be had anymore, So my original price of $400 might have been just a tad high, But for the precision and quality I thought not,

Now at $100 off no comments or interest, I’m conserned becouse I try to make custom designs the members will want and if this dosnt cut it then I need to rethink my approach, Has there ever been a laser so precisely built that there is no spring whatsoever on the bat tube just solid connection to the alloy housing and the positive contact point is a gold plated lug not spring loaded!

Anyway would appreciate some feedback good or bad! Thanks!

Badboybilly!

https://laserpointerforums.com/f39/now-300us-102269.html

From my Alaskan perspective, its profile isn't much like a laser pointer, it's appearance is short and fat with the button in an awkward location. I'm just writing my first impressions, nothing more. Maybe if I held it in my hand and used it I would be quite pleased. Also, the wavelength is boring to me now as I prefer baby blue 465 nm these days. You want to generate some interest, incorporate a PBS cube and combine the power of two diodes, or use a non-standard 10 mm or larger lens to reduce the divergence far more than a standard 6 mm lens and you will have my interest.

I'd have to agree with Alaskan here. I, personally, enjoy a somewhat longer host or at least having the handle be longer/slimmer. Your host looks very well made but it also seems bulky and uncomfortable in the hand. I don't mind the color of the diode but it does seem like there is a large amount of blues out there, and very few red or greens.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hi Billy, I personally like the design and style of this build, those large radiused grooves in the handle, and the copper/aluminum combo. with blue LED side switch is se×y as hell IMHO! :cool:

I think this is one of your nicer designs; maybe it's the wavelength as the others have suggested, not really sure, and it's not the pricing, especially since you've reduced it by $100. :yh:

I think if I was interested in it, the biggest concern that I would have is possible loss/siezure due to the international shipping from Australia to here in the US.
I realize this danger may be small, but it's something I always think about when buying from an individual living in another country.

It's a nice build, just keep it bumped to the top of the BST, and I think you'll sell it!

it appears to be uber high quality regardless of my personal biases for what a pointer looks like.

Truthfully, I just don’t ever seem to have spare money laying around or I would be interested, the only thing for me is a constant on switch would be the only thing I’d want, other than that I would love to have it. So for me I just like constant on, everything else is perfection billy :)

Ok Alaskan I have to say there is nothing awkward about it, if you’ve seen the vids it is perfect hand shape witch is one of the main things I check, the momentary is in a perfect position, and the grooves in the battery tube make a perfect grip.
This isn’t a duel diode build maybe later, not possible and not worth trying in this housing!
I’ll keep you thoughts in mind though maybe for the next one!

Lildutchboy7

It’s actually very nice in the hand some peaple prefere some thickness not to mention it’s very solid and most don’t build them like this!

Hi Billy, I personally like the design and style of this build, those large radiused grooves in the handle, and the copper/aluminum combo. with blue LED side switch is se×y as hell IMHO! :cool:

I think this is one of your nicer designs; maybe it's the wavelength as the others have suggested, not really sure, and it's not the pricing, especially since you've reduced it by $100. :yh:

I think if I was interested in it, the biggest concern that I would have is possible loss/siezure due to the international shipping from Australia to here in the US.
I realize this danger may be small, but it's something I always think about when buying from an individual living in another country.

It's a nice build, just keep it bumped to the top of the BST, and I think you'll sell it!

Thanks buddy!
Yep I thought it was a great design also I’m doing a thinner one very similar with a NDG7475 but obviously it will be more expensive, maybe I’ll do some reds next, Also I’ve been sending many to the US lately and have yet to have one seized but I understand it’s possible!

I prefer hosts which can take 26650 batteries, two of them, just not used to the idea of a single battery host that short. I believe a lot of us think long pointy device when we think of laser pointers, no reason for them to be that way, won't make the beam any different at all. However, I'm bored with many laser pointers these days, except for that nice CNC brass and aluminium one made in Viet Nam for me I put the little youtube video up about, those are the classic kind of laser pointer I like, lots of fins and deep to help exchange the heat to the air. I'm hoping someone starts building larger diode mounts which have a wider threaded hole for larger diameter lenses to reduce he mRad for long distance night sky beaming (if there were affordable aspheric lenses 10-16 mm diameter), but most laser hobbyist don't care about that, they want to see a thin high power density beam which burns stuff. Maybe better anyway, shooting beams into the sky is becoming more and more a problem with the guys who think it's fun to harass aircraft with lasers.

What sells for me is a nice brass pointer with two batteries and lots of heat sink fins or unusual one off's with an artistic design which are reminiscent of a space zapper, just the space age idea with cool looking zapper plates mixed in with an artistic curvey body, or a baby blue 465 nm laser, higher power PBS combined laser diode outputs, controllable hue R,G,B to white outputs using dichro mirrors, or a pointer with a big lens to have uber low divergence. However, I don't know you would get your money out of such complicated time intensive expensive designs. We want, but don't want to pay! Laser hobbyists, for the most part, are like ham radio operators, they all want cool stuff but are cheap buggers. There are a few of us who will spend $$$, maybe not enough here on LPF to fuel your projects.

Last edited:
I prefer hosts which can take 26650 batteries, two of them, just not used to the idea of a single battery host that short. I believe a lot of us think long pointy device when we think of laser pointers, no reason for them to be that way, won't make the beam any different at all. However, I'm bored with many laser pointers these days, except for that nice CNC brass and aluminium one made in Viet Nam for me I put the little youtube video up about, those are the classic kind of laser pointer I like, lots of fins and deep to help exchange the heat to the air. I'm hoping someone starts building larger diode mounts which have a wider threaded hole for larger diameter lenses to reduce he mRad for long distance night sky beaming (if there were affordable aspheric lenses 10-16 mm diameter), but most laser hobbyist don't care about that, they want to see a thin high power density beam which burns stuff. Maybe better anyway, shooting beams into the sky is becoming more and more a problem with the guys who think it's fun to harass aircraft with lasers.

What sells for me is a nice brass pointer with two batteries and lots of heat sink fins or unusual one off's with an artistic design which are reminiscent of a space zapper, just the space age idea with cool looking zapper plates mixed in with an artistic curvey body, or a baby blue 465 nm laser, higher power PBS combined laser diode outputs, controllable hue R,G,B to white outputs using dichro mirrors, or a pointer with a big lens to have uber low divergence. However, I don't know you would get your money out of such complicated time intensive expensive designs. We want, but don't want to pay! Laser hobbyists, for the most part, are like ham radio operators, they all want cool stuff but are cheap buggers. There are a few of us who will spend $$$, maybe not enough here on LPF to fuel your projects.

Yes I saw your purchased host,s I bet they weren’t cheap too, It takes a lot more than just a lathe to do those and just a bar of brass that long and wide would cost you $150 if not more, There just to big I’ve always liked smaller hosts, maybe I’ll give it a go but I’m not running a business just something I love to do on my time off from work!

I paid 125 each, then found out Tung had another guy machine them and he only paid him 55 dollars each to make them, how can he do that so cheap?

He might be using brass tube if you can find the right diameter, I use solid bars.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I paid 125 each, then found out Tung had another guy machine them and he only paid him 55 dollars each to make them, how can he do that so cheap?

I think tung is located in Vietnam if I'm not mistaken, and I imagine the labor portion of the price is much less than having it machined here.

@BBB, It's great to see that you have a good history of getting you're products delivered with no problems! :yh:

hoo7h

Honestly man the host in your profile pic is pretty much my favorite looking host of all time. I don't like long lasers.
Have you considered starting selling hosts only rather than complete lasers? The choices for diodes are many, and from my perspective you are limiting the customer base if you are selling a complete laser with specs of your choosing.

Edit: Have you thought about making your some sort of adapter for your hosts to fit the Jetlasers beam expander? If so, I will take one myself.

Last edited:
I bought the 1st NUBM08 that DTR put up for sale, the factory lens is only good for short work such as .......cigar lighting? No, that's a bad idea.

Yes these GBall cans pop out very easy with a small flat head once mounted in a full copper module, but the divergence is as bad as the nubm44 but the power is less and mine was down to half brightness in 6 weeks of daily use at only 4.0 amps.

I would love to put my 7475 in that host but I don't want the 08 diode at all, other than the 450-455nm color they turned out to be worse than the 05/06 which seem to hold up a bit longer once decanned....I noticed the same thing about the NUBM07, it seems the lower the frequency ( longer wavelength/higher number ) blues are more sensitive to operating outside of their protective vacuum/backfill.

Then there's the sad fact I'm frugal, a cheapskate, a tightwad, hell I'm spending a lot just to survive so I have to watch the decressionary spending and build as much as I can myself, because I end up buying a lot without trying.

Last edited:

Encap

BBB it is a beautifully done Host. A very nice piece of work as is always the case with you. Is a highly tweaked skilled tweakers precision build --maybe too much so---who knows.

Could be the particular limitations that make it small niche product within a small niche already market -- 1. only has a momentary side button and no power on and off tail switch so no continuous use when not in hand without holding button down + easy accidental activation . 2. no spring or adjustment for different 26650 batteries which can be slightly different lengths, so is select fit for a particular battery make. 3. only a gball lens, no other lens supplied or easy to change feature. 4. the high polish jewelry like finish is a fragile/not very durable finish. Is easily damaged/degraded and requires extra care when using and maintenance to keep it in same condition. 5. lack of adjustable focus feature. 6. Not well suited everyday or rugged use --more of a shiny thing display item well suited to sit on a nice wooden holder/stand of some type as an executive desktop conversation piece

Last edited: